Sloan

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Not in effort, in technique. He says he does not need to add bulk . Disagree, being bigger will give him more confidence in one on one tackles, returning the ball plus breaking the line when his speed and evasiveness cant.
DT was up to their usual BS. Saying Hunt was our best attacking player. Sloan was easily and Zac might have been second.

But Sloan's defence, ability and effort, was a sick joke.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Said the same. Perhaps Jack will be our defense coach once he retires as could not have anyone better. Meanwhile we are placing hope in Young Jr to do a decent job with our outside backs on reading a defense. Heaven knows we need that over any other defensive issue. How many bloody tries did bad reading and leaving their position cost us last season.
2 major factors in defending - Confidence - in yourself and your shoulder defenders
Communication

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Said the same. Perhaps Jack will be our defense coach once he retires as could not have anyone better. Meanwhile we are placing hope in Young Jr to do a decent job with our outside backs on reading a defense. Heaven knows we need that over any other defensive issue. How many bloody tries did bad reading and leaving their position cost us last season.
A lot

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
They are talking Sloan up in both Fairfax and News Ltd on the same day. They were also talking him up this time last year. So I think we should wait that judging on the photo, he's definitely packed on several kgs.
Tyrell Sloan

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Personally I think it was at least just as much lack of effort if not more. Wouldn't even go close to putting his body on the line.
Agree even if you are not a great defender , you need to put your body on the line go into the tackle hard with the intent to bring the guy down , the rest will sort it's self out ...... Going into tackles half hearted will never work and you put yourself at risk of injury and that goes with bring the ball back , bring it back hard , let the oppersiton have to make the tackle , not pussy foot around and get pushed back 10 m ......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree even if you are not a great defender , you need to put your body on the line go into the tackle hard with the intent to bring the guy down , the rest will sort it's self out ...... Going into tackles half hearted will never work and you put yourself at risk of injury and that goes with bring the ball back , bring it back hard , let the oppersiton have to make the tackle , not pussy foot around and get pushed back 10 m ......
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

If he fixes that part of his game, he'll be the hero we deserve and need. If not
he'll find himself training in the ESL this time next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They are talking Sloan up in both Fairfax and News Ltd on the same day. They were also talking him up this time last year. So I think we should wait that judging on the photo, he's definitely packed on several kgs.
View attachment 328
I would have rather seen him hitting the tackling bags. I know he can run and hold a footy. Certainly has been in the gym because of his symosis injury which put him anything up to 2 to 4 weeks behind everyone else. Hopefully somebody at the club added to his water supplement by mixing in some cement to harden him up. Time will tell.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

If he fixes that part of his game, he'll be the hero we deserve and need. If not
Hero? When he scores the winning try with 1 minute to go in the GF will I ever use such a word and it wouldn't be hero it would be champ. The word hero has been used too often in recent years and its meaning has diminished as a result.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Hero? When he scores the winning try with 1 minute to go in the GF will I ever use such a word and it wouldn't be hero it would be champ. The word hero has been used too often in recent years and its meaning has diminished as a result.
Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Bounce

Was just a figure of speech. If he fixes those areas of his game, he'll be the gun fullback the team needs and deserves.
Hows that?

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I would have rather seen him hitting the tackling bags. I know he can run and hold a footy. Certainly has been in the gym because of his symosis injury which put him anything up to 2 to 4 weeks behind everyone else. Hopefully somebody at the club added to his water supplement by mixing in some cement to harden him up. Time will tell.
I haven't played at a high level but tackling bags seemed to me to only be good for stamina. Hitting the bag, standing up, moving back ten metres, "tackling" the next bag. I think they don't help one with tackling at all. Specially for a fullback where stamina to be in position to make the tackles isn't an issue.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I haven't played at a high level but tackling bags seemed to me to only be good for stamina. Hitting the bag, standing up, moving back ten metres, "tackling" the next bag. I think they don't help one with tackling at all. Specially for a fullback where stamina to be in position to make the tackles isn't an issue.
Don't forget I'm old school. In my day tackling bags were primarily used to teach technique and instill confidence into the individual player. These days in reality those bags are no longer used on a regular basis. It was a figure of speech that I have grown up with. I'll amend my statement to read I wish he was learning to tackle 1 on 1, light contact initially.