Sloan

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Don't forget I'm old school. In my day tackling bags were primarily used to teach technique and instill confidence into the individual player. These days in reality those bags are no longer used on a regular basis. It was a figure of speech that I have grown up with. I'll amend my statement to read I wish he was learning to tackle 1 on 1, light contact initially.
I understood it as a figure of speech as well. Hitting the tackling bags meant, 'lots of tackling practice'.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I haven't played at a high level but tackling bags seemed to me to only be good for stamina. Hitting the bag, standing up, moving back ten metres, "tackling" the next bag. I think they don't help one with tackling at all. Specially for a fullback where stamina to be in position to make the tackles isn't an issue.
The only way is get the big guys to run at him at training , until he gets it , bags are a cushy option ......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The only way is get the big guys to run at him at training , until he gets it , bags are a cushy option ......
5% working with JDB for technique. 10% getting bigger and stronger. 85% have big buys run at you in training until you can tackle them.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

5% working with JDB for technique. 10% getting bigger and stronger. 85% have big buys run at you in training until you can tackle them.

I use to do that back in the day. Light contact , then half speed and then at pace. But I don't believe that they do this anymore. Perhaps someone could enlighten us.
Sloan is still on modified contract, so no tackling for him atm.

Tackling in done in opposed session and with pads in field sessions.
Most tackling and technical work is done in the gym along with wrestling.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS FULLBACK ON FIRE

Flanagan vowed to toughen up Tyrell Sloan in the off-season and the Dragons fullback has returned in 2024 a different player. Sloan’s shoulders have filled out and he’s using them more in defence with the young gun now regularly putting his body on the line, while his attack remains as scintillating as ever.

The 21-year-old scored a double against the Sea Eagles on Saturday, taking his season tally to six tries in four games, and Sloan has now crossed in five straight games at WIN Stadium.

“Defence has been a big focus for us over the past few weeks, we had a few poor performances there but to come home here and put on a good performance for our fans, that was a massive effort from us,” Sloan said. “The boys start off the sets and hopefully I can finish them, that’s my job.”

Dragons skipper Ben Hunt set up Sloan’s second try against the Sea Eagles with a hook-back kick and he said the fullback is improving with every performance.

“Every week he seems to be getting a bit better and a bit better, his support game is one of the best in the NRL and he’s just trying to evolve his defensive game, he’s good at getting our numbers right,” Hunt said. “We know he’s always been an attacking player and Flanno has been working hard on him defensively and he’s getting better.”

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

DRAGONS FULLBACK ON FIRE

Flanagan vowed to toughen up Tyrell Sloan in the off-season and the Dragons fullback has returned in 2024 a different player. Sloan’s shoulders have filled out and he’s using them more in defence with the young gun now regularly putting his body on the line, while his attack remains as scintillating as ever.

The 21-year-old scored a double against the Sea Eagles on Saturday, taking his season tally to six tries in four games, and Sloan has now crossed in five straight games at WIN Stadium.

“Defence has been a big focus for us over the past few weeks, we had a few poor performances there but to come home here and put on a good performance for our fans, that was a massive effort from us,” Sloan said. “The boys start off the sets and hopefully I can finish them, that’s my job.”

Dragons skipper Ben Hunt set up Sloan’s second try against the Sea Eagles with a hook-back kick and he said the fullback is improving with every performance.

“Every week he seems to be getting a bit better and a bit better, his support game is one of the best in the NRL and he’s just trying to evolve his defensive game, he’s good at getting our numbers right,” Hunt said. “We know he’s always been an attacking player and Flanno has been working hard on him defensively and he’s getting better.”
Massive improvement so far.