State of Origin 2024

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Would like to know what injury Zac was apparently carrying through the week, strapped up and given pain-killers for the game.. I dont think he had that in the Manly game?

Will be rly difficult if we are missing Suli and Lomax this weekend.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Zac Lomax: 9/10
Jaydn Su'A: 4/10
Ben Hunt: 3/10
While Ben Hunt was on, all he could do is tackle. Which he did about as well as he does at club level. Not too bad but definitely not good. if I were QLD coach, I'd be banking on a utility to fill in for 10~15 min and asking Grant to stay on for longer. Though I guess Hunt is a good utility on case either of the halves ir Grant is injured. But I'd still be asking Grant to play much longer rather than splitting minutes close to the middle with Hunt.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
61 minutes - Valentine Holmes is smashed by Angus Crichton after losing the ball. Reuben Cotter races in and gets shoved in his face for his trouble. Blues players can be heard laughing in the coverage.

This was the highlight of the game for me. The way he barrelled in ready for a fight only to get swatted off! Classic stuff.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm more not looking forward to next year. Doubtful Dragons will have a single player in either team. But anyway...
  • QLD by 4
  • First Try: Hunt
  • MoM: Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I used to be much more into Origin when Dragons were much better represented. As of now, I'm looking forward to it being over so we can concentrate on the Dragons for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
QLD need a changing of the guard. The following probably won't play Origin again:
  • Holmes
  • Kafusi
  • DCE
  • Gagai
  • Ben Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Zac must have been right behind Crighton for man of the series.
Very unlucky. I think it's once again the powers that be making the Roosters happy. SMH rated Lomax better than Crighton in 2 of the 3 games and just behind him in the one (the second one).

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

CRUCIAL LOMAX MOMENT GOES UNNOTICED AS ORIGIN ROOKIE STARS

There were many key moments in an entertaining decider, but a Maroons legend has highlighted one that might be overlooked. With the Blues down 2-0 in the 45th minute, New South Wales received a penalty after Maroons lock Pat Carrigan contacted the kicker late.

Facing a tough sideline conversion, Blues skipper Isaah Yeo decided to place his faith in Origin rookie Zac Lomax to attempt the kick to tie the game up. Lomax, in just his third Origin, was cool under pressure and slotted the conversion. The points gave the Blues some confidence and relieved a little bit of scoreboard pressure.

Queensland great Paul Vautin lauded the Blues decision making in that moment as well as Lomax’s poise. “I thought one of the gutsiest things I saw tonight was to give Zac Lomax the kick to get it back to 2-2 from two inches in from the sideline,”

Vautin said on Channel 9. “That’s confidence. You know, he got it, nailed it, it’s a confidence booster. All right, boys, we’re 2-2. Let’s go ahead now. Let’s fire up now. Let’s just rip and tear. “The two-point lead to Queensland was in their heads. They wanted to try to erase that to be thinking straight about the game. “Taking the kick from the sideline like that was a brave call, it was a brave kick and it seemed to settle NSW down. He came up with another kick that extended the lead (later in the game).”

Lomax was perfect with the boot, kicking three from three and eight of ten for the series. However, his kicking deeds were only a small part of the massive impact he had for the Blues this series. The Temora product’s outstanding aerial ability was on display in all three games, as was his strong ball-carrying. In the decider, Lomax had 141 running metres and six tackle busts.

The followed 111 metres, six tackle busts and two tries in Game II as well as 205 metres and a try in Game I. Former Blues coach Phil Gould says Lomax is made for Origin, revealing he had been pushing for his selection for some time. “I’ve been saying for years that he was probably underachieving but I saw Origin in him the whole time,” Gould said. “I used to say to (former Blues coach) Brad (Fittler) years ago, ‘don’t be afraid to pick him for Origin’. “He showed tonight he’s got the tenacity, the constitution for hard work, the toughness and he’s got the ability.”