The Australian Kangaroos.

Eric

Staff
Adding Munster.

Adding Yeo and crossing out Collins. The big Roosters prop has been one of our best this series imho.
Munster had a really poor year but for me the fact no one is beating down the door to replace him, saves him for now.

Collins might have been one of the best against substandard opposition but was utterly dominated today.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The game was so different back then to today. Guys had to be fitter, specially the bookends as there was no breather after 20 mins They were not used as battering rams either as many had useful ball skills and often went into second receiver. There was far less long kicking to the wings, they only had to be on the end of a sweeping movement then use their pace. The bomb was becoming popular as was that tactic of turning round the defense that is rarely used today, the chip and chase. The back line was used far more too, no 4/5 hit ups on the trot then perhaps a wide swing followed by the kick. All six tackles were well used with a mixture of forward and back play, made for a greater spectacle.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The game was so different to today back then. Guys had to be fitter, specially the bookends as there was no breather after 20 mins They were not used as battering rams either as many had useful ball skills and often went into second receiver. There was far less long kicking to the wings, they only had to catch the leather and run. The bomb was becoming popular as was that tactic of turning round the defense that is rarely used today, the chip and chase. The back line was used far more too, no 4/5 hit ups on the trot then perhaps a wide swing followed by the kick. All six tackles were well used with a mixture of forward and back play, made for a greater spectacle.
They were also much smaller. Bookends and whole team.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Aussies awesome in this one in the Pommie backyard. Note our backing up, keeping the ball alive, relentless pressure in attack and defense. This is the way League has to be played.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Aussies were simply awesome in this series in the Pommie backyard. Note our backing up, keeping the ball alive, relentless pressure in attack and defense. This is the way League shud be played. No wonder they were undefeated on the tour, earning The Invincibles title, equivalent to the the 1948 Cricket Invincibles.

Craig Young and Rod Reddy were the only Dragons..

Last edited:

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Aussies awesome in this one in the Pommie backyard. Note our backing up, keeping the ball alive, relentless pressure in attack and defense. This is the way League has to be played.

Awesome vids. This is from the period from just when Australian was starting to dominate the game. There was the brief resurgence for England in the Ellery Hanley period but basically, this was the last time England was consistently competitive. Now it's all NZ vs Aus. Hopefully there is resurgence in England and maybe even France.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A new one guys. Enjoy. I will as have not seen this since '97. Jesus was Rabbit Warren commentating way back then. No wonder I tired of him a decade before he finally retired.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A new one guys. Enjoy. I will as have not seen this since '97. Jesus was Rabbit Warren commentating way back then. No wonder I tired of him a decade before he finally retired.

I think this was the time just before or just after the players become full-time professionals. The size of the them is noticeably much closer to today than the video above from 1982.