The Australian Kangaroos.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Only our Captain who can't stop bagging the club involved...... I liked the game but result didn't bother me either way.
I did, a few more points than I tipped, but the best thing is we carry momentum and bragging rights into the final. Plus we will have Haas and Tino back with both looking to rip in after being in dry dock for three weeks.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
1. JAMES TEDESCO - 8
Placed a perfectly weighted kick to set up the first try of the game. “He put it on a plate for his winger,” Cooper Cronk said. Was very busy as always, finishing with 156 running metres - a game high.

The best of Teddie is now behind him.

2. DYLAN EDWARDS - 7

Dropped a sitter to give NZ possession 10 metres out from the Kangaroos line in first half. Scored his first representative try in the 50th minute after some lovely lead up work from Tabuai-Fidow. He and Cam Murray led the Aussies with four tackle busts. Once again showed he belonged at this level.

Just settling into rep footy. Will be one of the greats.

3. HAMISO TABUAI-FIDOW - 8.5

Set up two tries on the night. Gave a smart pass back to Lindsay Collins on the inside for the team’s second try. He then put on a lovely move and drew two defenders in before throwing a lovely ball to Edwards for a second half try. Made a couple of strong defensive stops on opposite number Joey Manu.

The Hammer showed he has ball skills.

4. KOTONI STAGGS - 7

Not nearly as damaging as he was in his Kangaroos debut a fortnight ago but still handed in a solid outing and defended very well.

Ditto

5. VALENTINE HOLMES - 8.5

Wasted no time in his return game, scoring the first try when chasing down a lovely grubber. Australia looked threatening nearly every time they went down his right edge. Kicked 5/6 with the boot for a personal haul of 14 points. Didn’t put a foot wrong in what was his first game in three months.

A typical Val contribution.

Valentine Holmes played well in his return from suspension.
Valentine Holmes played well in his return from suspension.Source: Getty Images

6. CAMERON MUNSTER - 7
Poured on plenty of pressure on club teammate Jahrome Hughes, forcing a couple of errors. Didn’t have his usual impact but was targeted in defence and answered the call, making 19 with no misses.

I want to be enthused by this bloke, but cant.

7. DALY CHERRY-EVANS - 7

Did his job and led the team around well. Wasn’t afraid to run the ball and picked up some handy metres.

Always just does his job. Lacks the skills of many other halves.

8. JAKE TRBOJEVIC - 6

Solid without being great. Probably loses his spot next week when Hass and Fa’asuamaleaui return and due to the form of Pat Carrigan and Lindsay Collins.

Not a starting prop.

9. BEN HUNT - 6.5

Wasn’t really sighted until scoring a try from dummy-half very late in the game. Made no mistakes in a typically solid game.

moderate in ALL ASPECTS

10. THOMAS FLEGLER - 6

Didn’t have the early impact of Haas and Tino from two weeks ago and made two errors but did have some strong carries in his 35 minutes on the park.

Belongs in backrow or bench for final.

11. CAMERON MURRAY - 8.5

Scored a try in his sixth straight Test match with a late consolation four-pointer. He had one of his better games this season, running for 125 metres and four tackle busts in an 80-minute effort. 27 tackles without a miss is no mean feat either.

Always puts in 100%

12. REUBEN COTTER - 8

Tireless workhorse in an 80 minute performance against a bruising pack, easily leading the game in tackles (42). Hard to knock.

Ditto. Pity bout the hair cut.

13. ISAAH YEO - 7

Impactful with ball in hand, running for 99 metres from 10 hit-ups and made 28 tackles, which was the second best mark for the Aussies.

Gotta be a better final option

INTERCHANGE
14. HARRY GRANT - 8

Looked dangerous and was able to do what he liked out of dummy-half and exposed the NZ middle forwards a number of times, including when finding Lindsay Collins with a terrific cut out ball to set up the Kangaroos’ third try.

Has to start in the final. Give Hunt no more than 20 mins.

15. LINDSAY COLLINS - 8.5

Scored two tries within ten minutes of entering the game midway through the first half. Not only made an impact on the scoreboard, but was damaging with every run. Outside of Joe Tapine, he was the best forward on the field in the first half. Finished the game with 115 metres, 37 tackles, two tackle busts and said post game he was stoked to score two tries.

Dual best forward with Carrigan

16. PATRICK CARRIGAN - 9

Provided plenty of grunt in attack in a put together an excellent body of work, running for 136 metres from 16 hit ups in just 47 minutes on the park. A inspiring stint for a team missing Tino and Payne Haas. Proved hard to stop and was one of Australia’s best.

Ditto. A long term Roo.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
1. JAMES TEDESCO - 8
Placed a perfectly weighted kick to set up the first try of the game. “He put it on a plate for his winger,” Cooper Cronk said. Was very busy as always, finishing with 156 running metres - a game high.

Teddie is not the player he was.

2. DYLAN EDWARDS - 7

Dropped a sitter to give NZ possession 10 metres out from the Kangaroos line in first half. Scored his first representative try in the 50th minute after some lovely lead up work from Tabuai-Fidow. He and Cam Murray led the Aussies with four tackle busts. Once again showed he belonged at this level.

Just settling into rep footy. Will be one of the greats.

3. HAMISO TABUAI-FIDOW - 8.5

Set up two tries on the night. Gave a smart pass back to Lindsay Collins on the inside for the team’s second try. He then put on a lovely move and drew two defenders in before throwing a lovely ball to Edwards for a second half try. Made a couple of strong defensive stops on opposite number Joey Manu.

The Hammer showed he has ball skills.

4. KOTONI STAGGS - 7

Not nearly as damaging as he was in his Kangaroos debut a fortnight ago but still handed in a solid outing and defended very well.

Ditto

5. VALENTINE HOLMES - 8.5

Wasted no time in his return game, scoring the first try when chasing down a lovely grubber. Australia looked threatening nearly every time they went down his right edge. Kicked 5/6 with the boot for a personal haul of 14 points. Didn’t put a foot wrong in what was his first game in three months.

A typical Val contribution.

Valentine Holmes played well in his return from suspension.
Valentine Holmes played well in his return from suspension.Source: Getty Images

6. CAMERON MUNSTER - 7
Poured on plenty of pressure on club teammate Jahrome Hughes, forcing a couple of errors. Didn’t have his usual impact but was targeted in defence and answered the call, making 19 with no misses.

I want to be enthused by this bloke, but cant.

7. DALY CHERRY-EVANS - 7

Did his job and led the team around well. Wasn’t afraid to run the ball and picked up some handy metres.

Always just does his job. Lacks the skills of many other halves.

8. JAKE TRBOJEVIC - 6

Solid without being great. Probably loses his spot next week when Hass and Fa’asuamaleaui return and due to the form of Pat Carrigan and Lindsay Collins.

Not a starting prop.

9. BEN HUNT - 6.5

Wasn’t really sighted until scoring a try from dummy-half very late in the game. Made no mistakes in a typically solid game.

moderate in ALL ASPECTS

10. THOMAS FLEGLER - 6

Didn’t have the early impact of Haas and Tino from two weeks ago and made two errors but did have some strong carries in his 35 minutes on the park.

Belongs in backrow or bench for final.

11. CAMERON MURRAY - 8.5

Scored a try in his sixth straight Test match with a late consolation four-pointer. He had one of his better games this season, running for 125 metres and four tackle busts in an 80-minute effort. 27 tackles without a miss is no mean feat either.

Always puts in 100%

12. REUBEN COTTER - 8

Tireless workhorse in an 80 minute performance against a bruising pack, easily leading the game in tackles (42). Hard to knock.

Ditto. Pity bout the air cut.

13. ISAAH YEO - 7

Impactful with ball in hand, running for 99 metres from 10 hit-ups and made 28 tackles, which was the second best mark for the Aussies.

Gotta be a better final option

INTERCHANGE
14. HARRY GRANT - 8

Looked dangerous and was able to do what he liked out of dummy-half and exposed the NZ middle forwards a number of times, including when finding Lindsay Collins with a terrific cut out ball to set up the Kangaroos’ third try.

Has to start in the final. Give Hunt no more than 20 mins.

15. LINDSAY COLLINS - 8.5

Scored two tries within ten minutes of entering the game midway through the first half. Not only made an impact on the scoreboard, but was damaging with every run. Outside of Joe Tapine, he was the best forward on the field in the first half. Finished the game with 115 metres, 37 tackles, two tackle busts and said post game he was stoked to score two tries.

Dual best forward with Carrigan

16. PATRICK CARRIGAN - 9

Provided plenty of grunt in attack in a put together an excellent body of work, running for 136 metres from 16 hit ups in just 47 minutes on the park. A inspiring stint for a team missing Tino and Payne Haas. Proved hard to stop and was one of Australia’s best.

Ditto. A long term Roo.
No.14 was the difference.

Eric

Staff
I'm struggling to really care about this. With the only Dragons player featuring is one who has hardly stopped bagging the club over the last 9 months. Ditto for Origin. But it's the off season so why not give my two cents worth?

Australia v New Zealand at FMG Stadium Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

Kangaroos team:

1. James Tedesco (Picked on reputation, no matter how highly Zac thinks of him.)
  2. Dylan Edwards (2nd or 3rd best fullback in the competition after Ponga and Tom Trbojevic when he isn't injured but not in the top 10 wingers.)
  3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Been killing it.)
  4. Kotoni Staggs (I guess so. Who else?)
  5. Valentine Holmes (On the Colombian marching powder, he's a very good winger.)
  6. Cameron Munster (Obviously despite signs he's sliding.)
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans (As above.)
  8. Payne Haas (Obvoiously)
  9. Ben Hunt (Probably better than Korasau for his utility value but a better hooker? I don't think so.)
  10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Obviously)
  11. Cameron Murray (I guess so)
  12. Liam Martin (I guess so)
  13. Isaah Yeo (I guess so)

14. Harry Grant (best No.9. Wonder why he doesn't start.)
  15. Lindsay Collins (I guess so)
  16. Patrick Carrigan (I guess so)
  17. Reuben Cotter (I guess so)

18. Nicho Hynes (about right for his utility value.)

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Does Nine have the most boring commentators in league. Monotone personified are Gould, Johns, Fittler.

Anyone joining me here as it is piddling down in Sydney so all self respecting footy supporters should be sitting around the goggle box this arvo.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Kiwis better side first 40 in all facets. Forwards lacking impact. Spine offering no structure, poor long kicking game, Hunt and DCE are defensive speed bumps, both wingers letting in tries going inside. No last line in defense by Tedesco for both tries , middle defense allowing them too many metres, their outside backs finding too many holes thru our outside backs. Handing possession over too often from fundamental errors.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As on my own. Condensing my posts into one.
Kiwis better side first 40 in all facets. Forwards lacking impact. Spine offering no structure, poor long kicking game, wingers letting in two tries going inside. No last line in defense by Tedesco for both tries. Hunt and DCE are defensive speed bumps, middle defense allowing them too many metres, their outside backs finding too many holes thru our our outside backs.Handing possession over too often with fundamental errors.
Pretty good game from the Kiwis so far. As you say, better all over the park.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Cam Murray must be injured as Cotter started, then Nicho will play. Put him in a spine position where he can best use his skills, we need someone to spark this side out of its lethargy..

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Brandon Smith did pull his punches in the halftime TV coverage. Said specifically NZ are targeting Hunt in the middle and getting results from it.

Meant to say, Bradon Smith "didn't" pull his punches.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Said specifically NZ are targeting Hunt in the middle and getting results from it.
Is a no brainer.

Is that third try where Tedesco has gone missing in action. Second time Munster has been the final tackler tho. Kiwis with all the ball.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
The following have had great careers for Aus and in rep games generally but the time has come for them to give it away!
  • Hunt
  • DCE
  • Tedesco
And the following need to be put on notice:
  • Meninga
  • Martin
  • Collins
  • Cotter

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The following have had great careers for Aus and in rep games generally but the time has come for them to give it away!
  • Hunt
  • DCE
  • Tedesco
And the following need to be put on notice:
  • Meninga
  • Martin
  • Collins
  • Cotter
And Dylan Edwards is fullback or not in the team.