The St George Nostalgia Thread

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Scrums were a competition for the ball back then. Not a bad thing.
Brian Johnstone was a better centre than CEO.
Yes. Note the number of infringements tho from the fair dinkum scrum back then. Just went thru those I recall.. seven. Probably more. That equates to a lot of stoppages every game. So when the scrum was abolished the game sure quickened.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Brian Johnston was a brilliant fullback. Knew precisely when to chime into the back line then usually split the line with his withering pace. That is how Ramsay should be playing while he occupies the custodian role. Watch some footage of Johnson son.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Shaun Timmins, one of my favourite players when I was a kid almost died from heart problems. He had a blood clot in his heart. Sadly, that kind of thing is very common these days and almost all the victims all around the world except Russia, China and India, have something in common. Something which I think we all know but can't be said.

Eric

Staff
Shaun Timmins, one of my favourite players when I was a kid almost died from heart problems. He had a blood clot in his heart. Sadly, that kind of thing is very common these days and almost all the victims all around the world except Russia, China and India, have something in common. Something which I think we all know but can't be said.
Luckily he's recovering pretty well.

Thanks for not saying it. Not my choice but the search engines can and do de-list sites for such things.

Eric

Staff

The 1999 St George Illawarra Dragons​

1. Lee Murphy: Don't remember him.
  2. Nathan Blacklock: When I was a kid, I was a huge fan!
  3. Paul McGregor: Needs no introduction. Really unfortunate Doust and Co ruined his reputation by keeping him at lest 3 years too long.
  4. Mark Coyne: Is he still in trouble for that think in Thailand or Indonesia or wherever it was? He'd be a great club CEO.
  5. Jamie Ainscough: We had the best wingers back then!
  6. Anthony Mundine: Wish he stayed longer.
  7. Trent Barrett: Definitely not a playmaking halfback. Good running 5/8. Strong defender. Good long kicking game but I wish he left and Choc stayed.
  8. Craig Smith: Was probably the best prop in the game until they cracked down on his knee lifting when running the ball.
  9. Nathan Brown: Was a much better hooker than coach.
  10. Corey Pearson: Don't remember him.
  11. Darren Treacy: I remember the name but that's it.
  12. Lance Thompson: Was a huge fan. Browny as coach ran him out of the club.
  13. Wayne Bartrim: Good, solid lock.
  14. Shaun Timmins: In the top 5 best centres in the history of the club?
  15. Colin Ward: Remember the name but that's it.
  16. Brad Mackay: Was a huge fan.
  17. Craig Fitzgibbon: Great player. More effort should have been made to keep him.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

The 1999 St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Lee Murphy: Don't remember him.
  2. Nathan Blacklock: When I was a kid, I was a huge fan!
  3. Paul McGregor: Needs no introduction. Really unfortunate Doust and Co ruined his reputation by keeping him at lest 3 years too long.
  4. Mark Coyne: Is he still in trouble for that think in Thailand or Indonesia or wherever it was? He'd be a great club CEO.
  5. Jamie Ainscough: We had the best wingers back then!
  6. Anthony Mundine: Wish he stayed longer.
  7. Trent Barrett: Definitely not a playmaking halfback. Good running 5/8. Strong defender. Good long kicking game but I wish he left and Choc stayed.
  8. Craig Smith: Was probably the best prop in the game until they cracked down on his knee lifting when running the ball.
  9. Nathan Brown: Was a much better hooker than coach.
  10. Corey Pearson: Don't remember him.
  11. Darren Treacy: I remember the name but that's it.
  12. Lance Thompson: Was a huge fan. Browny as coach ran him out of the club.
  13. Wayne Bartrim: Good, solid lock.
  14. Shaun Timmins: In the top 5 best centres in the history of the club?
  15. Colin Ward: Remember the name but that's it.
  16. Brad Mackay: Was a huge fan.
  17. Craig Fitzgibbon: Great player. More effort should have been made to keep him.
This may be a coping thread for this season.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Hey guys, how many of you are concerned about the HPC and all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong?

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of Kogarah. The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St Geoege bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out. Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from Kogarah and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its HPC and all activities in the Southern Sydney/St George region due to its vital importance.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

I'd love to know the thoughts of everyone here?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hey guys, how many of you are concerned about the HPC and all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong?

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of Kogarah. The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St Geoege bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out. Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from Kogarah and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its HPC and all activities in the Southern Sydney/St George region due to its vital importance.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

I'd love to know the thoughts of everyone here?
I think financially speaking, the club is doing quite well. Too bad they can't get the on field situation right.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
I think financially speaking, the club is doing quite well. Too bad they can't get the on field situation right.
I agree, I just feel like there needs to be more emphasis on the St George region as that's where most of the fan support, sponsorship and money is.
The Illawarra should be embraced but as demonstrated by the folding of the Illawarra steelers and WIN take over, it's too small of a region for a powerful club to be based in.

Also it's not attractive to as many players, there are much more opportunities for players in major cities, it where most want to live. Lack of player options could lead to poor performance.

But of course, it would help if the club were more successful.