The St George Nostalgia Thread

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Players in Rugby League's 100 Greatest​

The left is according to Wikipedia. To be honest, I've never heard of #13, #14 and I know #15 played most of his career with the Shonkies. 1~4 is a no brainer but in what order? From what I've heard of #1 and #2, flip a coin.
I don't know so much about it either but I feel Brian Clay should be down a few spots. Apparently he was a brutal defender but much less effective in attack. Maybe Swap him for Billy Smith would be closer to reality as I know it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Can not argue with that Eric Eric. One exception. I'd have Ian Walsh further up the list.
Herb Narvo skippered our first premiership winning side.. 1941. Wally Prigg is the odd one. According to my info he played all his club footy with Newcastle. Nothing about him ever being a Saint. He had an outstanding Kangaroo record 29-38. Seven as captain.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
15 in the top 100.
Ryan Ryan I think Eric Eric has listed the best 15 Dragons in order of his preference as surely Clive Churchill, Ken Irvine, Artie Beetson.. three that certainly are in the top 15 of all time imo. Perhaps even Bobby McCarthy, Ken Thornett, Andrew Johns or Noel Kelly too.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Did Clive Churchill ever play for St George?
No I am talking about Churchill being in the Top 15 of the Top 100. Raper, Gasnier, Langlands, Kearney, Walsh, Provan locks for the Dragons. Probably Smith too. Burge, Narvo I know little about. Bath's time at the Saints was after playing for some five clubs, including two in England. So do we really rate him a true Dragon.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
For me, following the St George Rugby League club has been much more than a pastime or a hobbie. More a way of life. It began more than half a century ago at boarding school as a way to past the very dreary and lonely time at my disposal. Before long it grew into a passion with my older brother and I often at loggerheads over his Parramatta Eels usually finding themselves on the wrong end of the scoreline from my invincible Dragons. As I was unable to attend any matches I had no way to access player signatures for my growing scrap book, so during one school holiday my brother suggested we visit the closest Norm Provan electric store for the prize moniker of the then Dragons captain/coach. So a few days later this squirt of a boy walked up to the man they called 'Sticks' and like the Dickens character Oliver Twist when he asked a master for more food, I asked the towering man " please sir may I have your signature for my scrap book".I dont mind telling you I was terrified he'd say no and something like.. "take a hike kid I dont have time". Instead he put his enormous hand on my head ruffled my blonde hair and said. "of course I will tiger". My brother then explained that as we were unable to get player signatures like other fans whether he'd be able to get some from his team mates if we left the book with him. Needless to say he accepted and when we returned a week later almost all, bar Elton Rasmussen had signed. To say this 10 year old was elated was an understatement. That was definitely the single most defining event for me becoming a life long devotee of the renowned St George Dragons. I kept that scrap book for three decades then lost it during a house move.
I've been blessed in my life as well meeting legends of the club and game. Adorning my St George wall is a special photo of myself my youngest son kneeling in front of Graeme Changa Langlands, Johnny Chook Raper and Reg Puff the magic dragon Gasnier. I also met and had a drink or two with Norm Sticks Provan when he ran the old Rydges Resort at Caloundra Qld which in it he set up a St George room with wonderful memorabilia all were true gentlemen.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I've been blessed in my life as well meeting legends of the club and game. Adorning my St George wall is a special photo of myself my youngest son kneeling in front of Graeme Changa Langlands, Johnny Chook Raper and Reg Puff the magic dragon Gasnier. I also met and had a drink or two with Norm Sticks Provan when he ran the old Rydges Resort at Caloundra Qld which in it he set up a St George room with wonderful memorabilia all were true gentlemen.
The game now is so different , its faster , players are bigger more athletic , wingers , forwards much the same built and height , but give me the era gone by any day ...... It is great you still have those memories ......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
First game I ever watched live was the 1963 grand final between Saints and Wests at the iconic SCG. It was one of those rare major games that coincided with school holidays so my father treated both us kids. I was elated to be finally seeing my heroes in the flesh and despite the atrocious conditions I was determined to soak up every minute. While my taller brother was at least 10 rows back with my father I sneaked my way forward and parked myself on the fence and I cared not it I got drenched as long as I could see the team that I had idolised since I was knee hi to a grasshopper. In a mud bath the mighty RedV overcame a determined Magpie outfit 8-3 to bring up their 8th consecutive premiership.

I was probably too young to realise that for many a single photograph captured by John O'Gready was to epitomise the spirit of Rugby League and set the standard as an enduring symbol of sporting mateship. It was of rival captains the towering Norm Provan and the diminutive Arthur Summons in a brief muddy embrace at fulltime. Entitled 'The Gladiators', the photograph won many international awards . Today a bronze statue of 'The Gladiators' is the prized trophy for the NRL premiers.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
No I am talking about Churchill being in the Top 15 of the Top 100. Raper, Gasnier, Langlands, Kearney, Walsh, Provan locks for the Dragons. Probably Smith too. Burge, Narvo I know little about. Bath's time at the Saints was after playing for some five clubs, including two in England. So do we really rate him a true Dragon.
Got it. I think it was listing only St George players in the top 100.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The game now is so different , its faster , players are bigger more athletic , wingers , forwards much the same built and height , but give me the era gone by any day ...... It is great you still have those memories ......
Watched my very first match at Kogarah Oval in 1970 still remember Billy Smith doing a chip kick from the 25 yard line and Changa diving full stretch catching it on the full and scoring near the cardboard corner post.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The Beginning of a Dynasty

September 8, Sydney Cricket Ground the setting for the 1956 Rugby League Grand Final between St George and Balmain. The two teams had battled it out two weeks earlier in the major semi with the Saints running out close winners 30-25. The Tigers were out for revenge so the scene was set. The huge crowd was on tenderhooks. A mere 13 minutes into the match Saints centre Merv Lees suffered a cracked collarbone and Red V supporters hopes sank as 13 against 12 in any match let alone a grand final was not the perfect scenario. If anything this lifted the Saints and after a 38 minute arm wrestle livewire winger Tommy Ryan drew the Balmain fullback Keith Barnes to send hard working prop forward Kevin Brown powering over for their first try. So with a buffer at half time the Saints went into the final stanza full of confidence. Further tries to Bob Bugden and Kevin O'Brien came quickly after oranges with Harry Melville scoring the last try 18 minutes in and putting the final nail in the Tiger's coffin. Balmain skipper Brian Staunton added to his earlier try with a late consolation three pointer but too late to deny the former Dragon Slayers their third premiership 18-12. Inspirational prop forward Billy Wilson had a blinder and was a worthy man of the match.
St George Dragons 1956 team
THE 1956 DRAGONS
Back Row: Tommy Ryan, Bryan Orrock, Norm Provan, Merv Lees, Kevin O'Brien, Kevin Brown.
Front Row: Bob Bugden, Billy Wilson, Peter Carroll, Ken Kearney (c), Doug Fleming, Ross Kite, Harry Melville.

Attachments

• 1654295666647.png
    1654295666647.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

September 8, Sydney Cricket Ground the setting for the 1956 Rugby Leage Grand Final against St George and Balmain. The two teams had battled it out a week earlier in the major semi with the Saints running out close winners 30-25. The Tigers were out for revenge so the scene was set. The huge crowd was on tenderhooks. A mere 13 minutes into the match Sainst centre Merv Lees suffered a cracked collarbone and Red V supporters hopes sank as 13 against 12 in any match let alone a grand final was asking for trouble. If anything this lifted the Saints and after a 38 minute arm wrestle livewire winger Tommy Ryan drew the Balmain fullback Keith Barnes to send prop Kevin Brown powering over for their first try. So with a buffer at half time the Saints felt confident. Further tries to Bob Bugden and Kevin O'Brien came quickly after the break with Harry Melville scoring the final try 18 minutes into the second half and putting the final nail in the Tiger's coffin. Tiger's skipper Brian Staunton scored a consolation three pointer but too late to deny the former Dragon Slayers their third premiership 18-12.
Sainst centre Merv Lees suffered a cracked collarbone and Red V supporters hopes sank as 13 against 12 in any match let alone a grand final was asking for trouble.
Weren't there any reserves back then?

Eric

Staff

September 8, Sydney Cricket Ground the setting for the 1956 Rugby League Grand Final against St George and Balmain. The two teams had battled it out a week earlier in the major semi with the Saints running out close winners 30-25. The Tigers were out for revenge so the scene was set. The huge crowd was on tenderhooks. A mere 13 minutes into the match Sainst centre Merv Lees suffered a cracked collarbone and Red V supporters hopes sank as 13 against 12 in any match let alone a grand final was asking for trouble. If anything this lifted the Saints and after a 38 minute arm wrestle livewire winger Tommy Ryan drew the Balmain fullback Keith Barnes to send prop Kevin Brown powering over for their first try. So with a buffer at half time the Saints felt confident. Further tries to Bob Bugden and Kevin O'Brien came quickly after the break with Harry Melville scoring the final try 18 minutes into the second half and putting the final nail in the Tiger's coffin. Balmain skipper Brian Staunton scored a consolation three pointer but too late to deny the former Dragon Slayers their third premiership 18-12. Inspirational prop forward Billy Wilson had a blinder and was a worthy man of the match.
View attachment 57
THE 1956 DRAGONS

Back Row: Tommy Ryan, Bryan Orrock,
Norm Provan, Merv Lees, Kevin O'Brien,
Kevin Brown
Front Row: Bob Bugden, Billy Wilson,
Peter Carroll, Ken Kearney (c),
Doug Fleming, Ross Kite, Harry Melville.
I wonder, RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat, would you mind if I edited that message to make the image a little bigger?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting. Do you know when it changed?

I'm sure it was but there is another way to look at it. Did it lead to players trying to avoid the big collisions for fear of injury, knowing it would be a tremendous disadvantage for the team if they were forced from the field?
Good point. Saints had great depth during their golden years. Several times all three grades won the comp, so doubt that would have applied to them and perhaps one or two other strong teams. To back up that I recall seeing Saints prop Kevin Ryan swan diving for a try. Not sure what game or year but it is etched in my mind. Remember thinking when I saw the footage that he was so lucky it did not end badly as he defintely risked injury with such a foolish ploy..

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
The writers Collis & Whitaker, Larry Writer and Heads & Middleton have all attributed the reign of success to three key factors:
  1. Club administration – the run began the same year that Frank Facer came to power as the football club Secretary. Facer had an eye for talent, was a shrewd negotiator and along with President Len Kelly and Directors Alex Mackie, Glynn Price and Laurie Doust, the leadership group planned their recruitment policy to cover team gaps well ahead of time and worked to maintain an attractive family atmosphere and an environment that fostered success.
  2. Club funds – the successful Leagues Club generated revenue from poker machines and liquor sales and enabled funds to be poured into local talent development but also enabled star local and overseas players to be lured to the club to share in its success.
  3. Mastering the art of unlimited tackle football – firstly Ken Kearney and then Harry Bath came to the club after successful careers in English rugby league and brought with them the disciplines of resolute defence, superior ball skills and an uncompromising commitment to fitness. The Dragons' stone-wall defence and controlled and punishing forward play became renowned and resulted in statistics such as the 1959 side remaining unbeaten throughout the season (snatching 19 wins and a draw against Western Suburbs); being undefeated at their Jubilee Oval home ground in twelve seasons from 1954 to end 1965; while in the total eleven premiership deciding Grand finals played, the Dragons conceded just five tries.

Notice the name in #1? Laurie Doust. Any relative the the notorious Peter Doust?