The St George Nostalgia Thread

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Awesome name!

Arthur "Snowy" Justice (1902–1977)​

was an Australian rugby league footballer, coach and administrator. He was a rugged hooker for the St George Dragons who made state and national representative appearances in the late 1920s. Later he was a club administrator, national selector and league judiciary Chairman.

Snowy Justice seated 2nd from rightClub career​

A pioneer player with the St George Dragons, he made his first grade debut in the club's second season in the NSWRFL. He captained the club in their maiden (and unsuccessful) Grand final appearance in season 1930 against the Western Suburbs Magpies. This was the first ever Grand Final played to determine the premiership winner. In season 1932 when his Kangaroo tourist partner Harry Kadwell was captain-coach at St George, Justice took over the captaincy when Kadwell's season was ended with a broken leg.

Representative career​

An uncompromising player and relentless fighter, Justice first represented for New South Wales in 1925 and went on to make a total of 25 appearances for his state.

Justice made his Test debut for Australia in the first match of Ashes series against England in 1928 and played in all three Tests of that series. He made further Test appearances on the 1929–30 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain - the scoreless draw in the third test and the subsequent fourth test, as well as appearing in a tour match against Wales. Arthur Justice is listed on the Australian Players Register as Kangaroo No. 139.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Awesome name!

Arthur "Snowy" Justice (1902–1977)​

was an Australian rugby league footballer, coach and administrator. He was a rugged hooker for the St George Dragons who made state and national representative appearances in the late 1920s. Later he was a club administrator, national selector and league judiciary Chairman.

View attachment 61Club career​

A pioneer player with the St George Dragons, he made his first grade debut in the club's second season in the NSWRFL. He captained the club in their maiden (and unsuccessful) Grand final appearance in season 1930 against the Western Suburbs Magpies. This was the first ever Grand Final played to determine the premiership winner. In season 1932 when his Kangaroo tourist partner Harry Kadwell was captain-coach at St George, Justice took over the captaincy when Kadwell's season was ended with a broken leg.

Representative career​

An uncompromising player and relentless fighter, Justice first represented for New South Wales in 1925 and went on to make a total of 25 appearances for his state.

Justice made his Test debut for Australia in the first match of Ashes series against England in 1928 and played in all three Tests of that series. He made further Test appearances on the 1929–30 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain - the scoreless draw in the third test and the subsequent fourth test, as well as appearing in a tour match against Wales. Arthur Justice is listed on the Australian Players Register as Kangaroo No. 139.
Speaking of "Snowy Justice" (sounds like he was signed from a Siberia penal colony), it'd be nice if the players of today had a few nicknames. I know there is "Blocker" Lawrie which is painfully unoriginal.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Speaking of "Snowy Justice" (sounds like he was signed from a Siberia penal colony), it'd be nice if the players of today had a few nicknames. I know there is "Blocker" Lawrie which is painfully unoriginal.

Kenneth Howard "Killer" Kearney (3 May 1924 – 18 August 2006)​

was an Australian rugby footballer – a dual-code international player – and a rugby league coach. He represented the Wallabies in seven Tests, and the Kangaroos in thirty-one Test matches and World Cup games. He captained Australia in nine rugby league Test matches in 1956 and 1957. He was a hooker and captain-coach with the St. George Dragons in the first half of their eleven-year consecutive premiership winning run from 1956 to 1966. He is considered one of Australia's finest footballers of the 20th century.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Kenneth Howard "Killer" Kearney (3 May 1924 – 18 August 2006)​

was an Australian rugby footballer – a dual-code international player – and a rugby league coach. He represented the Wallabies in seven Tests, and the Kangaroos in thirty-one Test matches and World Cup games. He captained Australia in nine rugby league Test matches in 1956 and 1957. He was a hooker and captain-coach with the St. George Dragons in the first half of their eleven-year consecutive premiership winning run from 1956 to 1966. He is considered one of Australia's finest footballers of the 20th century.
Snowy Justice and Killer Kearney would be rolling in their graves at the sight of our current Powder Puff Pack.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Snowy Justice and Killer Kearney would be rolling in their graves at the sight of our current Powder Puff Pack.
Killer Kearny and Snowy Justice were also coaches. They would never have allowed the current pack to be assembled.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The Invincible 59ers.
One of the more astounding feats by St George during their Golden Years was to remain undefeated in season 1959. The 'Killer' Kearney-captained Saints, coming off the back of their third consecutive premiership won all 17 of its matches and drew one.. a 20-all draw against Balmain at Kograrah. Saints often piling on points of 40 plus with two scores of 60 plus. From 20 matches including finals the Saints juggernaut amassed a whopping 605 points for and a mere 205 against in an overwhelming show of strength and class. This amounted to 135 tries, 100 goals for to 35 tries and 55 goals against. And in the grand final they added a further 22 points to zero when they downed a hapless Manly at the SCG..
1655069889363.png
The undefeated 1959 Invincibles.
Johnny Raper, Monty Porter, Norm Provan,
Peter Provan, Brian Messiter, Geoff Weekes (top row)
Billy Wilson, Harry Bath, Ken Kearney (c), Brian Clay,
Eddie Lumsden (md row)
Bob Bugden, Brian Graham (b row).

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The Invincible 59ers.
One of the more astounding feats by St George during their Golden Years was to remain undefeated in season 1959. The 'Killer' Kearney-captained Saints, coming off the back of their third consecutive premiership won all 17 of its matches and drew one.. a 20-all draw against Balmain at Kograrah. Saints often piling on points of 40 plus with two scores of 60 plus. From 20 matches including finals the Saints juggernaut amassed a whopping 605 points for and a mere 205 against in an overwhelming show of strength and class. This amounted to 135 tries, 100 goals for to 35 tries and 55 goals against. And in the grand final they added a further 22 points to zero when they downed a hapless Manly at the SCG..
View attachment 62
Eddie Lumsden (md row)
There's that name "Killer Kearney" again.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
No game for over 2 weeks and only a single player involved in Origin. Time to bring this back?

Harry Kadwell​

St. George​

Kadwell became St. George's captain-coach for the 1931 NSWRFL season and was also the club's top point scorer in first grade. While representing New South Wales against England early in the 1932 season, Kadwell broke his leg. Ending his season and Arthur 'Snowy' Justice took over as St. George captain (and would later become coach and secretary of the club).

Kadwell returned in 1933 as St. George captain (with 'Ricketty' Johnston taking over as coach) to guide Saints to the 1933 premiership-deciding final, (lost 18–5 to Newtown) and was again the St. George club's top point-scorer. He was again captain in the 1934 NSWRFL season, his final season, earning selection for New South Wales once more and was again the St. George club's top point-scorer.

Post-playing career​

After retirement, Kadwell helped the St. George club as a lower grade coach and selector. On 7 February 1945 he was selected by the club's committee to replace Bill Kelly as first-grade coach, although Percy Williams later shared the position.

At the time of his death in 1999, Kadwell was the oldest living Australian Kangaroos player, and the last surviving member of the 1929-30 Kangaroo Tour.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
No game for over 2 weeks and only a single player involved in Origin. Time to bring this back?

Harry Kadwell​

St. George​

Kadwell became St. George's captain-coach for the 1931 NSWRFL season and was also the club's top point scorer in first grade. While representing New South Wales against England early in the 1932 season, Kadwell broke his leg. Ending his season and Arthur 'Snowy' Justice took over as St. George captain (and would later become coach and secretary of the club).

Kadwell returned in 1933 as St. George captain (with 'Ricketty' Johnston taking over as coach) to guide Saints to the 1933 premiership-deciding final, (lost 18–5 to Newtown) and was again the St. George club's top point-scorer. He was again captain in the 1934 NSWRFL season, his final season, earning selection for New South Wales once more and was again the St. George club's top point-scorer.

Post-playing career​

After retirement, Kadwell helped the St. George club as a lower grade coach and selector. On 7 February 1945 he was selected by the club's committee to replace Bill Kelly as first-grade coach, although Percy Williams later shared the position.

At the time of his death in 1999, Kadwell was the oldest living Australian Kangaroos player, and the last surviving member of the 1929-30 Kangaroo Tour.
Snowy Justice and Killer Kearny coming up over and over. Is it just because their nicknames were so good? I said a few weeks ago, we need to come up with a few decent nicknames. If we start early enough and the nick names are good enough, there is the possibility of them sticking.

I know RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat calls Sullivan, Bud Sullivan. And he, Sloan and Amone, The Three Amigos. Not bad but I don't think Bud will overly excite anyone.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Snowy Justice and Killer Kearny coming up over and over. Is it just because their nicknames were so good? I said a few weeks ago, we need to come up with a few decent nicknames. If we start early enough and the nick names are good enough, there is the possibility of them sticking.

I know RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat calls Sullivan, Bud Sullivan. And he, Sloan and Amone, The Three Amigos. Not bad but I don't think Bud will overly excite anyone.
I have an idea. It's not great, but what the hell, let's put it on the bus and see if it gets off at Olympic Park on GF day!

Instead of Sullivan, Amone, Sloan being the 3 Amigos, lets add Connor Muhleisen and call them: The Four Horsemen.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The Invincible 59ers.
View attachment 62
Eddie Lumsden (md row)
A short story, I was privileged enough to meet Norm at Caloundra when he owned the Oasis Resort now run by Rydges. He set up a room called the St George room with many items of memorabilia. He was a giant of a man softly spoken. I had a conversation about the old days did you know that his brother Peter also played for the 59 Invincible's before moving to the Balmain Tigers. He also told me in that year he opened his first store it was an electrical store in the heart of dragons territory back then at Rockdale NSW. He also said he and his mate I think Jack Lord before opening the store were door to door salesmen selling black and white TVs, imagine opening your door and seeing him I would have bought a TV on the spot whether I could afford it or not. I had a beer that day but he only had a soft drink because believe it or not he was a non drinker something rare back in the day. I will cherish that day forever.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
No way was Mackay close to Clyde. At least as a lock but I think I was about 7 years-old when I thought he was better. At least I convinced myself he was. Now I understand I was deluding myself.

But Mackay was a good player. If not for Clyde, I think he would have been the best lock for some years. They usually found a way to fit him in NSW and Australian teams alongside Clyde.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No way was Mackay close to Clyde. At least as a lock but I think I was about 7 years-old when I thought he was better. At least I convinced myself he was. Now I understand I was deluding myself.

But Mackay was a good player. If not for Clyde, I think he would have been the best lock for some years. They usually found a way to fit him in NSW and Australian teams alongside Clyde.
Talking about great St George locks after of course Chook Raper who I also met. Probably before your time but Rocket Rod Reddy . He has 2 premiership ring 77 and 79.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Talking about great St George locks after of course Chook Raper who I also met. Probably before your time but Rocket Rod Reddy . He has 2 premiership ring 77 and 79.
Heard about him. Something about him not doing well financially after retirement. I know he was an assistant coach for a while. That didn't work out.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
No I prefer The Four Horsemen.
I meant I didn't include Coric because there can only be 4 horseman and those 4 should be the spine players, half, 5/8, fullback, hooker.

Coric has been in and out of NSW Cup this year so it's hard to know where he is at in regards to first grade next year. I hope he is on track because the first grade team is going to need him.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Johnny Cecil King

(born 2 July 1942, in Gilgandra, New South Wales) is an Australian former rugby league footballer and coach. He was a winger with the St. George Dragons for the last seven years of their eleven consecutive premiership-winning run from 1956 to 1966. He was a representative in the Australian national team from 1966 to 1970, earning 15 Test caps. He has been named among the nation's finest footballers of the 20th century.

Club career​

He was graded in 1960 to the St. George Dragons third grade side and towards of the end of the 1960 season played five games on the wing in first grade including the 1960 Grand Final victory over the Eastern Suburbs Roosters in which he scored two tries.

King scored the only try of the 1964 Grand Final at the end of an extraordinary passage of play. The Balmain Tigers were desperately defending their own line five minutes into the second half when they were awarded a relieving penalty. Their kicker, Bob Boland, failed to find touch by inches as the ball fell into the outstretched hands of Saints fullback Graeme Langlands who then raced across field and sent a long cut-out pass to Billy Smith 25 yards out from the tryline. Smith off-loaded to King, who sped the remaining 20 yards down the left wing and scored a diving try.

King played 191 games for the Dragons between 1960 and 1971 scoring 143 tries - a club record at the time. He played in 7 of the Dragons' consecutive premiership victories and holds the distinctive record of scoring six tries over six consecutive winning Grand Final appearances from 1960 to 1965.

Johnny King was the NSW Rugby League's leading try-scorer twice in his career: firstly in 1961 (20 tries) and again in 1965 (15 tries).

He retired after one match of the 1971 season following a motor vehicle accident in which he suffered three crushed vertebrae.