The St George Nostalgia Thread

Eric

Staff
This is awesome! First time I've seen video of Raper, Langlands among others. I noticed a few things which I don't really like.
  1. No tackle counts = almost no kicking in general play.
  2. They way the markers used to kick out at the ball in almost every tackle is infuriating.
  3. Clay and Ryan were really good forwards. Doing just that. Going forward again and again.
  4. Players never talked to the ref. No matter the decision, they just got on with it.
  5. Raper beat tackles with power, evasion and footwork. And excellent defence. The entire package. Pretty quick as well.
  6. Beetson was good for Balmain.
  7. Langlands at fullback hardly sighted in general play. St George forwards were dominating! He wasn't needed.
  8. the longer the game goes on, the better Raper gets. Add a good offload to #5.
Classic stuff from the ref. He was doing his utmost to ensure of course the better team won but he was trying hard to stop the score blowing out too far too fast.

Eric

Staff
Saints report card:
Langlands -6
King - 6
Pollard - 6
Maddison - 7
Lumsden - 5
Clay -6
Smith - 9
Raper - 9
Walsh - 8
Ryan - 7
Huddart - 8
Rasmussen - 6
Gouley - 5
Having just watched it, can't agree. Clay was at least an 8. Also Lumsden 7 and Pollard 8.

Raper...... he dropped the ball once but even still, hard not to give him a 10.

Thanks to RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat for finding and sharing that.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Raper was the difference. What a player!
...and Billy Smith. He was specially prominent in the first 40 with his game smarts and pace. Tied the Balmain defense in knots.
I met Smith and Raper one day at Smithy's work place.. in the 80s. If memory serves he was a self employed delivery driver and I had been given an order from my news editor to do a story on him. Chook turning up was a major bonus..pity my editor didnt think capturing the two greats together warranted a monetary bonus.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
...and Billy Smith. He was specially prominent in the first 40 with his game smarts and pace. Tied the Balmain defense in knots.
I met Smith and Raper one day at Smithy's work place.. in the 80s. If memory serves he was a self employed delivery driver and I had been given an order from my news editor to do a story on him. Chook turning up was a major bonus..pity my editor didnt think capturing the two greats together warranted a monetary bonus.
You were a journalist? Any prominent publication?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Ted Goodwin

(born 4 August 1951) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer in the NSWRL competition. Goodwin played for the St George Dragons, Newtown Jets and Western Suburbs Magpies as well as representing for Country and New South Wales and Australia.

St George Dragons 1972-1978​

A hugely popular player and a St George 'favorite son', Goodwin played in three first grade Grand Finals with St George: the 1975 loss to Eastern Suburbs, the 1977 9–9 draw with Parramatta and the subsequent replay, won by St George, 22–0. In the drawn 1977 match he scored one of the best tries ever seen in a Grand Final when he regathered the ball after a great chip and chase and grounded it just before the dead-ball line, knocking himself unconscious in the process when his face smacked the hard Sydney Cricket Ground surface. He took no further part in the match but backed up the following week to kick six goals and a field-goal in the replay. Ted was nicknamed 'Lord Ted' by the late St George legend Len Kelly in the early 1970s and the Goodwin is still remembered as 'Lord Ted' today.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Ted Goodwin

(born 4 August 1951) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer in the NSWRL competition. Goodwin played for the St George Dragons, Newtown Jets and Western Suburbs Magpies as well as representing for Country and New South Wales and Australia.

St George Dragons 1972-1978​

A hugely popular player and a St George 'favorite son', Goodwin played in three first grade Grand Finals with St George: the 1975 loss to Eastern Suburbs, the 1977 9–9 draw with Parramatta and the subsequent replay, won by St George, 22–0. In the drawn 1977 match he scored one of the best tries ever seen in a Grand Final when he regathered the ball after a great chip and chase and grounded it just before the dead-ball line, knocking himself unconscious in the process when his face smacked the hard Sydney Cricket Ground surface. He took no further part in the match but backed up the following week to kick six goals and a field-goal in the replay. Ted was nicknamed 'Lord Ted' by the late St George legend Len Kelly in the early 1970s and the Goodwin is still remembered as 'Lord Ted' today.
Lord Ted! Another excellent nickname.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Best Nicknames:
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Lord Ted
  4. Slippery Morris
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
Blocker Lawrie does not merit even a mention! If it were original it would be fine but it's not. The "Canberra" Viking Clap is a national embarrassment!

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Best Nicknames:
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Lord Ted
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
Blocker Lawrie does not merit even a mention! If it were original it would be fine but it's not. The "Canberra" Viking Clap is a national embarrassment!
Slippery Morris is a good one.

Why is the Viking Clap a national embarrassment? They are really into in Canberra.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Slippery Morris is a good one.

Why is the Viking Clap a national embarrassment? They are really into in Canberra.
A few years ago Iceland went on a memorable run at the Euro soccer tournament. I think they made the semi-finals and beat some heavyweights like England (sorry jodragon40 jodragon40) along the way. The Viking Clap they do in Canberrra is an exact copy of the clap the Iceland supports did at that tournament.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Best Nicknames:
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Lord Ted
  4. Slippery Morris
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
Slippery Morris > Lord Ted
It's a little vague because his name isn't in there but would Puff the Magic Dragon for Reg Gasnier count?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Best Nicknames:
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Lord Ted
  4. Slippery Morris
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
Rocket Reddy

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Slippery Morris
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Lord Ted
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Slippery Morris
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Lord Ted
  6. Changa Langlands
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

Graeme Frank Langlands, MBE,​

(2 September 1941 – 20 January 2018),also known by the nickname of "Changa", was an Australian professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s and coached in the 1970s.

He retired as the most-capped player for the Australian national team with 45 international appearances from 1963 to 1975, and captained his country in 15 Test matches and World Cup games. Langlands was the fullback and goal-kicker for the St. George Dragons in the latter half of their 11-year consecutive premiership-winning run from 1956 to 1966.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Slippery Morris
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Lord Ted
  6. Changa Langlands
  7. Sticks Provan
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Slippery Morris
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Lord Ted
  6. Changa Langlands
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

Graeme Frank Langlands, MBE,​

(2 September 1941 – 20 January 2018),also known by the nickname of "Changa", was an Australian professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s and coached in the 1970s.

He retired as the most-capped player for the Australian national team with 45 international appearances from 1963 to 1975, and captained his country in 15 Test matches and World Cup games. Langlands was the fullback and goal-kicker for the St. George Dragons in the latter half of their 11-year consecutive premiership-winning run from 1956 to 1966.
If we are being honest, "Changa" isn't a good nickname, is it? What the hell does it mean?
  • Poppa Clay
Not a bad one. Sounds like he is going to pop opposition in the nose.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Slippery Morris
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Lord Ted
  6. Poppa Clay
  7. Sticks Provan
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
There must be some "lesser" players who had good nicknames. "Albert Young" is another which doesn't inspire the imagination.