The St George Nostalgia Thread

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Graeme Frank Langlands, MBE
MBE. A bloody Brit award. Just choked on my corn flakes.
All our Immortals, if not already, should be honored with an Order Of Australia and those like Changa with an archaic Brit one have it abolished.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Poppa Clay
Know how he got that name.
Clay played for Newtown early in his career and was balding even then. During one training session he was having a shocker dropping balls one after the other. His coach Col Geelan was not impressed and yelled out ‘What’s up Pop, getting a bit stiff in the joints?

Seems I came into this conversation rather late. Most of the best nicknames have been posted. See if I can find some obscure ones.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
There must be some "lesser" players who had good nicknames. "Albert Young"
Lesser players. One of the best international props we produced. Not sure where Albert came from. Or was it actually 'Fat Albert'.. as he carried a few too many kilos in his early years.

Found another.. one of my fave Dragons.. Brad "angry man" Mackay. Because he hated losing.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Clay played for Newtown early in his career and was balding even then. During one training session he was having a shocker dropping balls one after the other. His coach Col Geelan was not impressed and yelled out ‘What’s up Pop, getting a bit stiff in the joints?

Seems I came into this conversation rather late. Most of the best nicknames have been posted. See if I can find some obscure ones.
Kevin "Kandos" Ryan. Anyone tell me why he was given that.

Do we have Ian "Abdul" Walsh listed.
They are awesome! I'll have to update the list. I never saw him play but know Albert Young was a great prop. I'm only talking about the nicknames. "Albert" isn't a great nickname, IMO.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Angry Man Mackey
  4. Slippery Morris
  5. Sticks Provan
  6. Rocket Reddy
  7. Lord Ted
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
I also don't know what "Changa" is supposed to mean so I'm leaving that, Kevin "Kandos" Ryan, Ian "Abdul" Walsh, Albert Young, Piggy Riddell off the list for now.

Eric

Staff
Back when St George were the Saints and Illawarra the Steelers. Oh for a return to those days.
No one is a bigger St George supporter than me. When I was a child, I cried when they lost big games. Which was quite common back then. They used to make the big games all the time but lose them more often than not.

Anyway, I'm happy for the merger. It's secured the identity of St George forever. Some or all of Cronulla, Bulldogs, Souths even Rorters will be forced to fold or relocate at some stage but won't even be on the table for St George Illawarra to do that. If I were first an Illawarra supporter rather than St George, I'd be a little upset. They are a junior player in every aspect except in the supply of the raw material, i.e. the players.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
William John Smith (born 12 July 1942 in Fremantle, Western Australia) was the leading halfback in Australian rugby league during the late 1960s, and a keystone of the latter part of the St. George Dragons' eleven consecutive premiership victories.
A St George junior with the famous Renown club, Smith was graded with St George in 1961 and elevated to Firsts in 1963 where he became a prolific try scorer, and former a lasting partnership with Johnny Raper and Graeme Langlands. Being almost diminutive in size did not bother the man as he had a reputation for his durablity and resilience and never shirked taking on far bigger opponents. His growing creative and kicking skills took the eye of national selectors and in 1964 he made his Kangaroo debut against France.Two years later the 'Roos retained the home Ashes with Smith carrying off the Harry Sunderland Medal as series best player.
In all, Billy Smith played 229 first grade games scoring 30 tries, 24 goals and 23 field goals (161 points) He played 18 Tests between 1964-68 & 1970, six grand finals 1963-66, 1971 & 1975, winning four occasions and to top off a great career was a two time Harry Sunderland Medalist.
1656556710112.png
Billy Smith in action.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Excellent nickname!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Back when St George were the Saints and Illawarra the Steelers. Oh for a return to those days.
How the game has changed since those days. They had actual scrums, fewer replacements, all wore shoulder pads, long socks, the shoulder charge was allowed and not a Pacific Islander in either side,

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
His physique I expect. Kandos is the most obscure one. It is a major cement making town Ryan was nicknamed after due to his hardness on the footy field. Rather lame. Abdul due to Walsh's dark, swarthy looks. Can not find a single thing on Changa.
Abdul Walsh! I like that. Will have to add it to the list. These days some ninny would say "racist" and it wouldn't be allowed. I know it isn't racist one bit but some ninny in the media would say it and that'd be it.