The St George Nostalgia Thread

Eric

Staff
  1. Boyd (he was a real *+%$#& but was a great fullback for 3 years for us.)
  2. Morris
  3. Gasnier
  4. Cooper
  5. Coyne
  6. Soward
  7. Hornby
  8. Bull Bailey
  9. Brown
  10. Craig Young
  11. Barnhill
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
14. Dean Young
15. Thompson
16. Weyman
17. Widdop

• The hardest choice was 5/8. I went with Sowie. Widdop on the bench ahead of Mundine and Barrett because he was able to play halfback, fullback and maybe even hooker when his shoulder was ok where Mundine and Barrett were out and out 5/8s.
  • Backrowers were also hard. I thought Gouley and Creagh were too similar so I went with Barnhill. Hard as Beau Scott but a little better running into gaps on the edge.
  • Fitting in Gasnier, Cooper and Coyne was hard but had to be done.
  • I never saw Craig Young play. Going off what I've heard about him.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Boyd (he was a real *+%$#& but was a great fullback for 3 years for us.)
  2. Morris
  3. Gasnier
  4. Cooper
  5. Coyne
  6. Soward
  7. Hornby
  8. Bull Bailey
  9. Brown
  10. Craig Young
  11. Barnhill
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
14. Dean Young
15. Thompson
16. Weyman
17. Widdop

• The hardest choice was 5/8. I went with Sowie. Widdop on the bench ahead of Mundine and Barrett because he was able to play halfback, fullback and maybe even hooker when his shoulder was ok where Mundine and Barrett were out and out 5/8s.
  • Backrowers were also hard. I thought Gouley and Creagh were too similar so I went with Barnhill. Hard as Beau Scott but a little better running into gaps on the edge.
  • Fitting in Gasnier, Cooper and Coyne was hard but had to be done.
  • I never saw Craig Young play. Going off what I've heard about him.
Are we all talking about Brett or Steve Morris?

Eric

Staff
Are we all talking about Brett or Steve Morris?
Come on. I never saw him play but by all accounts Steve was an average to good halfback and an average to good winger along with being an excellent clubman. His turncoat son was one of the best wingers in the last 20 years.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Good call on Bull Bailey.
I found it difficult to leave him out too. Definitely in my back up side. I'd have Barrett over Hornby..a far better organiser. Seems only me rated Ryles and Walford.
It hurts me to leave Coops out but I think Mark Coyne edges hm.
Not when it came to stopping a player in his tracks. Gaz was the gun in attack and Coops in defense. The perfect centre pairing for mine.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I found it difficult to leave him out too. Definitely in my back up side. I'd have Barrett over Hornby..a far better organiser. Seems only me rated Ryles and Walford.

Not when it came to stopping a player in his tracks. Gaz was the gun in attack and Coops in defense. The perfect centre pairing for mine.
Gaz was a very decent defender as well and Cooper was hardly "just a good defender". They were the best centre pairing in any team for how long? It's why I didn't pick Barrett. He failed to get them enough good ball as Soward ended up doing.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Speaking of centres, Timmins and McGregor were also absolute guns.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
There was also a bloke came to us from rugby yawnion.. A top playmaker. Prob before your time. Now what was his name. Phil Hawthorn. We also had Tony Branson and Tony Trudgett. Both good 5/8s. I also forgot Mundine and JDB. They'd definitely have to figure somewhere. Perhaps a second combined team.
As for JDB, I only considered players who had already retired.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Really. Why? They were two peas in a pod looks wise and playing wise for mine.
Bennett considered a winger and rated Sailor above him. And then Nightingale was next in line. In fairness to Bennett, it took a few years before Josh Morris became a top centre. Around that time, Dragons centres were Gasnier and Cooper.
I see now what you meant earlier. On his day tho Baz was untouchable as a play- maker. I rate he and Joey Johns our best of the modern era.
Barrett wasn't even on the same planet as Andrew Johns! I rated Barrett but not compared to Johns.
He will definitely be in my best all time 17 when he does retire.
Me too. But Mackay was also a really good lock. But JDB has the edge on him. I think the game has changed. Mackay would be a 5/8 or centre in today's game. Possibly a second rower.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Speaking of centres, Timmins and McGregor were also absolute guns.
We have been blessed as a club to have been able to either produce or import the best players over many years.. until only the past decade. Other top centres were Michael Beattie, Brian Johnston, Steve Rogers, Chris Johns.. and there was a big gangly guy from the mid 80s I rated.. forgotten his name. Graeme Bradley rings a bell. Came to us from the Steelers.

Were you guys aware that both Shane Flanagan and Peter Gentle played for us? I wasn't.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
We have been blessed as a club to have been able to either produce or import the best players over many years.. until only the past decade. Other top centres were Michael Beattie, Brian Johnston, Steve Rogers, Chris Johns.. and there was a big gangly guy from the mid 80s I rated.. forgotten his name. Graeme Bradley rings a bell. Came to us from the Steelers.

Were you guys aware that both Shane Flanagan and Peter Gentle played for us? I wasn't.
I was aware of Flanagan but I think only a few games in first grade.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
There was also fullback. I recall Brett was tried at the back but never made the position his. That is not to say Josh wouldn't have. Who was our custodian back then?
He had the running game, not the ball playing. If memory serves me correct, he got MoM in his first game at fullback.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
What I remember about him most was his knack for taking intercepts when all the opposing player had to do was draw and pass. Then by the time he left every team was expecting it and kept dummying and scoring without even drawing and passing.
I liked that as well.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What I remember about him most was his knack for taking intercepts when all the opposing player had to do was draw and pass. Then by the time he left every team was expecting it and kept dummying and scoring without even drawing and passing.
The best thing about Boyd was the Donkeys didn't rate him. Told him to leave. He came to the Dragons, was awesome for 3 years and then his form went off a cliff until he was pushed into retirement.