3. Ian "Abdul" Walsh
  4. Angry Man Mackey
  5. Slippery Morris
  6. Sticks Provan
  7. Rocket Reddy
  8. Lord Ted
  9. ?
  10. ?
Kevin "Kandos" Ryan has a really good story behind but I feel it's too specific. No one would be able to guess what it means.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Talk about nostalgia,
Nostalgia yes but was the footy better 30 years ago. This match was forward - centric, with the outside backs rarely seeing the pill. The defense was brutal and kicking skills virtually non existent. I counted two chip kicks, one grubber and not one bomb. Johnny Peard would not have been happy. Mary scored a vital try and from looking done and dusted that inherent Dragons spirit surfaced and we mounted a thrilling comeback. With the Steelers just holding on..

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Nostalgia yes but was the footy better 30 years ago. This match was forward - centric, with the outside backs rarely seeing the pill. The defense was brutal and kicking skills virtually non existent. I counted two chip kicks, one grubber and not one bomb. Johnny Peard would not have been happy. Mary scored a vital try and from looking done and dusted that inherent Dragons spirit surfaced and mounted a thrilling comeback. With the Steelers just holding on..
I thought it was a good game but now you mention it, I realise it was indeed very forward-centric. The backs saw the ball from scrum wins but not much other than that.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
As for the players. How good was it to see some of the Dragons best from yesteryear. Mackay, Gouley, Blacklock, Priddle, Beattie, Coyne and Potter.
I had forgotten how good Scott Gouley was. He was in everything in attack and defense. What a good edge forward he'd make for us today. Barnhill was one of the those players that every team needs.. a workhorse.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
As for the players. How good was it to see some of the Dragons best from yesteryear. Mackay, Gouley, Priddle, Beattie, Coyne and Potter.
I had forgotten how good Scott Gouley was. He was in everything in attack and defense. What a good edge forward he'd make for us today. Barnhill was one of the those players that every team needs.. a workhorse.
I was more impressed by the prop, Tierney than Goulay. While as you say, Barnhill in particular was good and Mackay to a slightly lesser extent.

Eric

Staff
I thought it was a good game but now you mention it, I realise it was indeed very forward-centric. The backs saw the ball from scrum wins but not much other than that.
Mick "Pig Skin" Beattie was a tremendous defender!

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Nostalgia yes but was the footy better 30 years ago. This match was forward - centric, with the outside backs rarely seeing the pill. The defense was brutal and kicking skills virtually non existent. I counted two chip kicks, one grubber and not one bomb. Johnny Peard would not have been happy. Mary scored a vital try and from looking done and dusted that inherent Dragons spirit surfaced and we mounted a thrilling comeback. With the Steelers just holding on..
I don't know. Above my pay grade. I'm just saying Tony Smith put on a sensational shoulder charge to stop their winger scoring. If he did it now, penalty try, probably sent off and suspended for up to 4 weeks even though it wasn't high and not dangerous.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone else got any good nicknames?
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Ian "Abdul" Walsh
  4. Angry Man Mackey
  5. Slippery Morris
  6. Sticks Provan
  7. Rocket Reddy
  8. Lord Ted
  9. ?
  10. ?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone else got any good nicknames?
  1. Snowy Justice
  2. Killer Kearny
  3. Ian "Abdul" Walsh
  4. Angry Man Mackey
  5. Slippery Morris
  6. Sticks Provan
  7. Rocket Reddy
  8. Lord Ted
  9. ?
  10. ?
I like the list. Not exactly how I'd rank them. Who decides the ranking?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Killer Kearny
  2. Snowy Justice
  3. Ian "Abdul" Walsh
  4. Rocket Reddy
  5. Sticks Provan
  6. Angry Man Mackay
  7. Lord Ted
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
Doesn't "Slippery" usually have a negative meaning? "A slippery lawyer" for example and others which could be seen as somewhat racist.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This has to belong in the Nostalgia Thread.

As part of St George Century celebrations the club has been naming our best modern era sides pre and post merger.

1982-1999:
Brian Johnson, Steve Morris, Mark Coyne, Mike O'Connor, Ricky Walford, Anthony Mundine, Noel Goldthorpe, Brad Mackay, Graeme Wynn, Gorden Tallis, Craig Young, Nathan Brown, Pat Jarvis. Bench: Brian Johnston, Scott Gourley, David Barnhill, Wayne Bartrim. Coach Roy Masters.

1999-2020:
Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Jason Nightingale, Trent Barrett, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Tyson Frizell, Luke Bailey, Dean Young, Jason Ryles. Bench: Nathan Black;lock, Shaun Timmins, Lance Thompson, Michael Wayman. Coach Wayne Bennett.

Some greats of our club among both lists. Plus I have added Gareth Widdop and combined the best from both eras to name;
My top 17:
Johnson
Morris
Gasnier
Cooper
Walford
Barrett
Goldthorpe?
Mackay
Tallis
Creagh
Craig Young
Dean Young
Ryles

Bench.
Widdop
Gourley
Weyman
Jarvis

I would give anything to have that 17 playing for us today.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Goldthorpe is my only doubtful starter. Other than he and Hornby the Saints had plenty of good halves in this era, Henjak, Haddock, Linnane, Rodwell for instance.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I figured this belongs in the nostalgia thread.

As part of St George Century celebrations the club has been naming our best modern era sides pre and post merger. Who agrees or not with their choices.

1982-1999:
Brian Johnson, Steve Morris, Mark Coyne, Mike O'Connor, Ricky Walford, Anthony Mundine, Noel Goldthorpe, Brad Mackay, Graeme Wynn, Gorden Tallis, Craig Young, Nathan Brown, Pat Jarvis. Bench: Brian Johnston, Scott Gourley, David Barnhill, Wayne Bartrim. Coach Roy Masters.

1999-2020:
Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Jason Nightingale, Trent Barrett, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Tyson Frizell, Luke Bailey, Dean Young, Jason Ryles. Bench: Nathan Black;lock, Shaun Timmins, Lance Thompson, Michael Wayman. Coach Wayne Bennett.

Some greats of our club among both lists. Plus I have added Gareth Widdop and combined the best from both eras to name;
My top 17:
Johnson
Morris
Gasnier
Cooper
Walford
Barret
Goldthorpe?
Mackay
Tallis
Creagh
Craig Young
Dean Young
Ryles

Bench.
Widdop
Gourley
Thompson/Weyman
Jarvis.

I would give anything to have that 17 playing for us today.
Please, I beg you, delete Tallis.
I'd have Sowie at 6. I know he generally wasn't as highly regarded as Barrett but he got the results.
so:
  1. Johnson
  2. Morris
  3. Gasnier
  4. Cooper
  5. Blacklock
  6. Soward
  7. Hornby
  8. Weyman
  9. Dean Young
  10. Craig Young
  11. Barnhill
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
Bench:
14. Goulay
15. Jarvis
16. Thompson
17. Widdop (neck and neck with Barrett but a little more versatile.)

And I forgot about Mundine!!! St George has has some seriously good 5/8s!!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
And I forgot about Mundine!!! St George has has some seriously good 5/8s!!
There was also a bloke came to us from rugby yawnion.. A top playmaker. Prob before your time. Now what was his name. Phil Hawthorn. We also had Tony Branson and Tony Trudgett. Both good 5/8s. I also forgot Mundine and JDB. They'd definitely have to figure somewhere. Perhaps a second combined team.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I had him in my back row for his power and size. He was awesome on his day. I know that he did the dirty on us by defecting to the Broncos.
On ability, Tallis was one of the first picked. But I'll pass him by as well. It hurts me to leave Coops out but I think Mark Coyne edges hm.
  1. Boyd
  2. Morris
  3. Gaz
  4. Coyne
  5. Blacklock
  6. Mundine
  7. Hornby
  8. Bull Bailey
  9. Brown
  10. Craig Young
  11. Gouley
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
14. Dean Young
15. Thompson
16. Weyman
17. Barrett

Eric

Staff
On ability, Tallis was one of the first picked. But I'll pass him by as well. It hurts me to leave Coops out but I think Mark Coyne edges hm.
  1. Boyd
  2. Morris
  3. Gaz
  4. Coyne
  5. Blacklock
  6. Mundine
  7. Hornby
  8. Bull Bailey
  9. Brown
  10. Craig Young
  11. Gouley
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
14. Dean Young
15. Thompson
16. Weyman
17. Barrett
Good call on Bull Bailey.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Boyd
  2. Morris
  3. Gaz
  4. Coyne
  5. Blacklock
  6. Mundine
  7. Hornby
  8. Bull Bailey
  9. Brown
  10. Craig Young
  11. Gouley
  12. Creagh
  13. Mackay
14. Dean Young
15. Thompson
16. Weyman
17. Barrett
Good call on Bull Bailey.
Bull Bailey and Weyman!!! What a pair of bookends to start the game with!