2022 Recruits

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Serious? Looking at that, I'd pick Bird as well but Sims in an incumbent Origin backrower.
Its the old coach in me he wasn't putting in for us last year. I personally would have dropped him to the bench because of it. As I said for a SOO player the stats show he wasn't putting in, went missing in action when he should have been leading by example. I look at those little things in games even though you are playing in a team that was not going to achieve semi football doesn't mean you shirk your responsibilities. He will most probably get a start but only because of his stature as a SOO player but not on his efforts last season. Just my view

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
McGuire will be a bench forward when he does eventually return, at least he will be fresh by then and if we pick up any injuries in the meantime that will help us. In regards to Bird I thought he took one for the team last year playing out of position, his avg run mtrs is about 121 p.g, compare that with say Sims last season was only 90m . Look im not the coach but Id be picking Bird over Sims any day of the week, he made about 3.7 line breaks from those runs whereas Sims made 1.67, in post contact mtrs (after being met in a tackle) Bird made 920m for the season, Sims 738m. Sims for a SOO player disappointed me greatly last season, I couldnt find a starting spot for him this season. In my view I wouldnt start Bird in the centres we have an abundance of talent to fill the one centre spot, I'd give it to Suli because of his ability to break the line. I would suggest Lawrie starting with Woods/Burgess/Molo fighting for the other starting prop spot, McCullogh hooker, 2nd rowers & hooker Debelin, Bird, Sua. Time will tell.
That is eye-catching, or eye watering for Sims but....... well I don't want to contract a former club coach but isn't it comparing apples and oranges? Sims was second rower for the entire season barring I think one or two games due to Origin and Bird was centre for almost the entire season.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Its the old coach in me he wasn't putting in for us last year. I personally would have dropped him to the bench because of it. As I said for a SOO player the stats show he wasn't putting in, went missing in action when he should have been leading by example. I look at those little things in games even though you are playing in a team that was not going to achieve semi football doesn't mean you shirk your responsibilities. He will most probably get a start but only because of his stature as a SOO player but not on his efforts last season. Just my view
And remember wasn't Sims playing on the same side as Corey Norman? I understand and agree he should have done better but obviously one's performance is effected, positively and negatively, by the performance of teammates and especially teammates next to you.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That is eye-catching, or eye watering for Sims but....... well I don't want to contract a former club coach but isn't it comparing apples and oranges? Sims was second rower for the entire season barring I think one or two games due to Origin and Bird was centre for almost the entire season.
Point taken and true so let's be an apples for apples man Sims SOO player compare him with say Josh Kerr now albeit one is an origin and the other probably won't be in the starting 17 this season you would expect a great difference between the 2. So Sims played 21 Kerr 20 games. Sims made 10.6 runs as game Kerr 9.6. Sims made 5 line breaks Kerr 2. Sims ran for average 90m a game Kerr 80m. Sims offloaded 5 times last season Kerr 27 very interesting fact here because you would defensively coach your team to 2 man tackle Sims without having your c and d defender having to engage the ball carrier for offloads because Sims doesn't initiate 2nd phase attacking movements. Sims with more play time ave 34 tackles a game Kerr 27. Sims missed 55 tackles Kerr 44. This is why am so dissappointed with Sims he has a wonderful physic but did not put in and I don't like that and expect much better because nobody would be placing Kerr in the same class as Sims. Just my views

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Point taken and true so let's be an apples for apples man Sims SOO player compare him with say Josh Kerr now albeit one is an origin and the other probably won't be in the starting 17 this season you would expect a great difference between the 2. So Sims played 21 Kerr 20 games. Sims made 10.6 runs as game Kerr 9.6. Sims made 5 line breaks Kerr 2. Sims ran for average 90m a game Kerr 80m. Sims offloaded 5 times last season Kerr 27 very interesting fact here because you would defensively coach your team to 2 man tackle Sims without having your c and d defender having to engage the ball carrier for offloads because Sims doesn't initiate 2nd phase attacking movements. Sims with more play time ave 34 tackles a game Kerr 27. Sims missed 55 tackles Kerr 44. This is why am so dissappointed with Sims he has a wonderful physic but did not put in and I don't like that and expect much better because nobody would be placing Kerr in the same class as Sims. Just my views
Ok, I'm convinced. No wonder the club doesn't want to resign him. I guess the only thing I can say for him starting in front of Bird is his size making him more suited to being in the thick of the early exchanges. Not sure if Sims is a more effective defender but he definitely tackles harder.

Hopefully we can get a good look at both in the trails.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Ok, I'm convinced. No wonder the club doesn't want to resign him. I guess the only thing I can say for him starting in front of Bird is his size making him more suited to being in the thick of the early exchanges. Not sure if Sims is a more effective defender but he definitely tackles harder.

I hope Sims puts in and stamps his authority now that there is some other players vying for his position. Time will tell

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

I didn't realise that either. No wonder a lot of people were putting up a stink when he was selected for NSW.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
And remember wasn't Sims playing on the same side as Corey Norman? I understand and agree he should have done better but obviously one's performance is effected, positively and negatively, by the performance of teammates and especially teammates next to you.
That's what I thought too but looking at those stats....... Sims should have done "much" better despite whatever one thinks about Corey Norman.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That's what I thought too but looking at those stats....... Sims should have done "much" better despite whatever one thinks about Corey Norman.
It appears at the end of last season Sims got a wake-up call. Now he needs pull his socks up he will be too worried about being in the NRL this year to think about a new contract.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It appears at the end of last season Sims got a wake-up call. Now he needs pull his socks up he will be too worried about being in the NRL this year to think about a new contract.
Sims-Bird, Woods-Burgess, Suli-Feagai, Ramsey-Feagai
Those are to be determined. Seems Hook has settled on Suli and Ramsey to start the season.

Eric

Staff
Sims-Bird, Woods-Burgess, Suli-Feagai, Ramsey-Feagai
Those are to be determined. Seems Hook has settled on Suli and Ramsey to start the season.
It'll be up to the Feagai's to fight to replace Suli and Ramsey and up to Suli and Ramsey to fight to keep their spots. It's nice there will be competition for spots. Amone-Sullivan could be added to that. Sims-Bird is the most contentious. Seems pretty certain Woods will be in the team come round 1, only a question of whether he and Burgess will be in the 17. And which two out of Lawrie, Molo and Woods are going to start. IMO Lawrie and Woods. Bring Molo on who has a little more impact when the opposition forwards have stated to tire. Lawrie's defence also seems to be best out of those 3.

Eric

Staff

NRL signings: Jeremiah Nanai chased by five clubs​

Cowboys are now battling a multimillion-dollar bidding war for their 18-year-old star.​

Five NRL rivals, including Newcastle and Wests Tigers, have expressed interest in the 18-year-old, who is rated North Queensland's most exciting forward prospect since Jason Taumalolo. While the Cowboys are under salary cap pressure to retain Nanai, they have retained boom backrower Luki for a further three years.

Knights recruitment chief Clint Zammit helped lure Nanai to the Cowboys during his previous stint at the club and is banking on his relationship with the explosive back-rower to deliver him to Newcastle.

But the Cowboys remain confident of retaining the off-contract Nanai, with North Queensland captain Taumalolo urging the club to do everything possible to keep the young gun in Townsville for the long haul. It is understood NRL suitors have tabled deals worth around $500,000 a season for the four-game NRL rookie, but the Cowboys have hit back, kicking off retention talks with Nanai’s management.

“There’s a lot of hype and talk around Jeremiah but we don’t want to get involved in it,” said Nanai’s manager Sam Ayoub. “We will deal with teams as we deem necessary and at this stage we are not rushing into anything. “Jeremiah is a very humble young man and he is enjoying his time at the Cowboys, so we’ll let him focus on his football this season.”

Cowboys football manager Micheal Luck is mindful of the NRL vultures circling Nanai and Luki, but is backing North Queensland’s set-up and upgraded offers to convince the young guns to stay loyal. “We’re confident our offer will be as good as anyone else’s to keep Nanai and Heilum at the Cowboys,” he said. “We have been in discussions for a few months with Jeremiah. He is a good young guy and a great talent, so it doesn’t surprise me that there’s plenty of suitors wanting his signature. “He is in a position now where he will sign a reasonable money contract.

“He is only 18, but we’ve been in constant dialogue over the last few months and we are continuing to stay in touch with his manager. We will give Jeremiah all the support he needs to make a final decision. “The way our club was set up was to allow North Queensland’s best young kids to play in the NRL without leaving their home region and Jeremiah ticks those boxes. “We’re equally confident of keeping Luki.”

Following four consecutive bottom four finishes, the Cowboys have enlisted club legend Matt Scott to mentor their emerging leaders. Scott has cast his eye over Nanai and Luki and said they were two of the club’s most exciting prospects.

“Heilum Luki and Nanai are two guys that we will be asking a lot of as a team,” Scott said. “Physically and the way they are as young kids coming through is pretty exciting. “There is a lot to like with the young guys coming through.”

Taumalolo burst on to the NRL scene as an explosive back rower and said Nanai was a player of the future for North Queensland. “He has raised a few eyebrows since he first got here. Looking at him, I hold him in high regard as the player we can build a club around,” he said. “That’s how good he is. The Cowboys are lucky enough to have him here in their ranks and I think Jeremiah will be a star of the future alongside Heilum and Tommy Dearden.

“Jeremiah is a special kid, he can do special things and he will have a long future in the game.”

I know there is no mention of St George but surely this is exactly the kind of player the club and Griffin should be targeting. We need young forwards in a relative hurry. Can probably get away with the age of our pack this year but next year, I think there is going to have to be some serious injection of youth in the forwards.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL signings: Jeremiah Nanai chased by five clubs​

Cowboys are now battling a multimillion-dollar bidding war for their 18-year-old star.​

Five NRL rivals, including Newcastle and Wests Tigers, have expressed interest in the 18-year-old, who is rated North Queensland's most exciting forward prospect since Jason Taumalolo. While the Cowboys are under salary cap pressure to retain Nanai, they have retained boom backrower Luki for a further three years.

Knights recruitment chief Clint Zammit helped lure Nanai to the Cowboys during his previous stint at the club and is banking on his relationship with the explosive back-rower to deliver him to Newcastle.

But the Cowboys remain confident of retaining the off-contract Nanai, with North Queensland captain Taumalolo urging the club to do everything possible to keep the young gun in Townsville for the long haul. It is understood NRL suitors have tabled deals worth around $500,000 a season for the four-game NRL rookie, but the Cowboys have hit back, kicking off retention talks with Nanai’s management.

“There’s a lot of hype and talk around Jeremiah but we don’t want to get involved in it,” said Nanai’s manager Sam Ayoub. “We will deal with teams as we deem necessary and at this stage we are not rushing into anything. “Jeremiah is a very humble young man and he is enjoying his time at the Cowboys, so we’ll let him focus on his football this season.”

Cowboys football manager Micheal Luck is mindful of the NRL vultures circling Nanai and Luki, but is backing North Queensland’s set-up and upgraded offers to convince the young guns to stay loyal. “We’re confident our offer will be as good as anyone else’s to keep Nanai and Heilum at the Cowboys,” he said. “We have been in discussions for a few months with Jeremiah. He is a good young guy and a great talent, so it doesn’t surprise me that there’s plenty of suitors wanting his signature. “He is in a position now where he will sign a reasonable money contract.

“He is only 18, but we’ve been in constant dialogue over the last few months and we are continuing to stay in touch with his manager. We will give Jeremiah all the support he needs to make a final decision. “The way our club was set up was to allow North Queensland’s best young kids to play in the NRL without leaving their home region and Jeremiah ticks those boxes. “We’re equally confident of keeping Luki.”

Following four consecutive bottom four finishes, the Cowboys have enlisted club legend Matt Scott to mentor their emerging leaders. Scott has cast his eye over Nanai and Luki and said they were two of the club’s most exciting prospects.

“Heilum Luki and Nanai are two guys that we will be asking a lot of as a team,” Scott said. “Physically and the way they are as young kids coming through is pretty exciting. “There is a lot to like with the young guys coming through.”

Taumalolo burst on to the NRL scene as an explosive back rower and said Nanai was a player of the future for North Queensland. “He has raised a few eyebrows since he first got here. Looking at him, I hold him in high regard as the player we can build a club around,” he said. “That’s how good he is. The Cowboys are lucky enough to have him here in their ranks and I think Jeremiah will be a star of the future alongside Heilum and Tommy Dearden.

“Jeremiah is a special kid, he can do special things and he will have a long future in the game.”

I know there is no mention of St George but surely this is exactly the kind of player the club and Griffin should be targeting. We need young forwards in a relative hurry. Can probably get away with the age of our pack this year but next year, I think there is going to have to be some serious injection of youth in the forwards.
A large number of forwards who dominate in the juniors never make it in the NRL. Throwing big money and long-term contracts at them is a big gamble. Ask the Shonkies and their superstar, Carl Falinga.

But if the club doesn't start bringing our young forwards though and into the NRL, this may be the kind of gamble we need to make.

Eric

Staff

Flanagan tipped to flex friendship muscle

The St George Illawarra Dragons recruiter is reportedly targeting a familiar catch.​

Former Cronulla head coach and current St George Illawarra recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to attack his old side to secure a familiar catch. According to reports from The Daily Telegraph, Flanagan currently holds an interest in bringing current Shark Briton Nikora across to the Dragons following the completion of his contract at Shark Park.

As it stands, the 24-year-old Kiwi remains under lock and key for the 2022 season, however, with no deal to remain in the Shire beyond this point, the second-rower could be coaxed to depart. While Nikora is said to have expressed a desire to link up with his international coach, Michael Maguire, at Wests from 2023 onwards, Flanagan's ties to the Mount Maunganui product could well be enough to bind.

After playing school footy with the vaunted Keebra Park High on the Gold Coast, Nikora was brought to Cronulla by Flanagan during the Sharks' premiership year of 2016. And although it would take until 2019 to see first-grade action, the Māori All-Star has grown to become a solid contributor across the past three seasons.

Despite never playing under Flanagan directly during the 56-year-old's two stints as head steward of the Sharks, a working relationship between the pair has been struck. Although 2022 could well be his last in black, white and blue, Cronulla remains keen to see Nikora ink an extension, but as stated by Phil Rothfield, they will only do so if the price is right.

Should Flanagan and the Dragons prove able to lure the four-time Kiwi international across from their greatest rivals, it could well come at the cost of losing Jack Bird, who has already baulked at the club's initial $500,000 per annum extension. Bird's deal at Kogarah is set to expire at the completion of the 2022 NRL season.

I don't know about this guy very well but I trust Flanagan knows what he is doing.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

The St George Illawarra recruiter is reportedly targeting a familiar catch.​

Former Cronulla head coach and current St George Illawarra Dragons recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to attack his old side to secure a familiar catch. According to reports from The Daily Telegraph, Flanagan currently holds an interest in bringing current Shark Briton Nikora across to the Dragons following the completion of his contract at Shark Park.

As it stands, the 24-year-old Kiwi remains under lock and key for the 2022 season, however, with no deal to remain in the Shire beyond this point, the second-rower could be coaxed to depart. While Nikora is said to have expressed a desire to link up with his international coach, Michael Maguire, at Wests from 2023 onwards, Flanagan's ties to the Mount Maunganui product could well be enough to bind.

After playing school footy with the vaunted Keebra Park High on the Gold Coast, Nikora was brought to Cronulla by Flanagan during the Sharks' premiership year of 2016. And although it would take until 2019 to see first-grade action, the Māori All-Star has grown to become a solid contributor across the past three seasons.

Despite never playing under Flanagan directly during the 56-year-old's two stints as head steward of the Sharks, a working relationship between the pair has been struck. Although 2022 could well be his last in black, white and blue, Cronulla remains keen to see Nikora ink an extension, but as stated by Phil Rothfield, they will only do so if the price is right.

Should Flanagan and the Dragons prove able to lure the four-time Kiwi international across from their greatest rivals, it could well come at the cost of losing Jack Bird, who has already baulked at the club's initial $500,000 per annum extension. Bird's deal at Kogarah is set to expire at the completion of the 2022 NRL season.

I don't know about this guy very well but I trust Flanagan knows what he is doing.
He's a good player. No question at all but personally, I'd prefer the club keeps the powder dry for Luke Thompson. He's on huge money at Canterbury and word is they want to offload him because even though he's a very good prop, he's not worth that much.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

The St George Illawarra Dragons recruiter is reportedly targeting a familiar catch.​

Former Cronulla head coach and current St George Illawarra Dragons recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to attack his old side to secure a familiar catch. According to reports from The Daily Telegraph, Flanagan currently holds an interest in bringing current Shark Briton Nikora across to the Dragons following the completion of his contract at Shark Park.

He's an 80min forward. Not very big for a forward but fast and hits gaps very well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
More on this. He's definitely worth having a go at but I'm a little confused. I thought Shereb was supposed to be in the team as a backrower from next year. Everyone's been saying it. We already have Su'a who everyone is talking about as an 80min player. So what gives?

St George Illawarra Dragons target Cronulla Sharks star after Bird call​

DRAGONS LOOK TO POACH SHARKS STAR

Former Cronulla Sharks head coach and current St George Illawarra Dragons recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to make a bid for Cronulla back-rower Briton Nikora. The 24-year-old is off-contract at the end of thnis season and remains without an offer from the Sharks for next season and beyond. The Daily Telegraph reported Flanagan is interested in luring Nikora across to the Dragons from 2023.

Nikora had been linked to a move to the Wests Tigers under New Zealand coach Michael Maguire. However Flanagan’s ties to the gun back-rower could mean the Dragons are the frontrunners for his signature. Nikora was brought to Cronulla by Flanagan during the Sharks’ premiership year of 2016.

The Dragons eye Nikora as a potential replacement for Jack Bird should he decide to leave the club. Bird turned down a $500,000 a season extension with the Dragons to put his services on the open market. Nikora has scored 17 tries in 62 games for the Sharks since his first grade debut in 2019, while he has also played four Tests for New Zealand.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Former Cronulla head coach and current St George Illawarra recruitment boss Shane Flanagan looks set to attack his old side to secure a familiar catch. According to reports from The Daily Telegraph, Flanagan currently holds an interest in bringing current Shark Briton Nikora across to the Dragons following the completion of his contract at Shark Park.

He is a very good player