2022 Recruits

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Bird is an ok centre but agree we need a faster player in that position. We have had a generally 'slow' side for a long time. With Amone and Sloan in the 17, at least one of the Feigai's with Bird in the forwards, interchange or run-on, it will speed us up a lot.
Bird was a good centre before the new rules. Now he's better suited to the forwards.

Eric

Staff
Bird was a good centre before the new rules. Now he's better suited to the forwards.
The bottom line is, Bird is good in pretty much every position on the field. Not sure he excels at any. Early on when he was with the Shonkies, he was a really good centre but I think he has put on a few kgs and slowed down a step or two, probably more to do with injuries than weight gain. The game has also sped up. If St George front rowers can get the team moving forward, Bird very possibly could excel in the middle. Either coming on to give Jack de Belin a rest or starting. I think it might be better for the team doing the former. The onus is on Molo, Lawrie, Burgess, Woods. Also McCullough to give them good ball to help with the go-forward.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Talking of backrowers, Josh Kerr talking as though he is going to be a backrower next season. He's been tried again and again, given more and more chances and hasn't come up with the goods. He is big and mobile considering how big he is but seems hopelessly incapable of troubling opposition defenders. I guess his defence is ok but he's hardly Jack de Belin. At best he should be a backup prop. Jackson Ford offers more off the bench.

Unless there is a breakout young backrower ready to storm the NRL team, I'd start with Sims and Su'A in the backrow, de Belin at lock, Lawrie, Woods as front rowers. Bird, Burgess, Burns and Suli or Sullivan on the bench.
Too early to write off Kerr but if he can't make it as a middle, he can't make it. He isn't an edge backrower. If Griffin gets in his face and yells at him to run hard, it's possible he'll become a good prop.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Talking of backrowers, Josh Kerr talking as though he is going to be a backrower next season. St George Illawarra Dragons have tried him again and again. Given more and more chances but hasn't come up with the goods. He is big and mobile considering how big he is but seems hopelessly incapable of troubling opposition defenders. I guess his defence is ok but he's hardly Jack de Belin. At best he should be a backup prop. Jackson Ford offers more off the bench.

Unless there is a breakout young backrower ready to storm the NRL team, I'd start with Sims and Su'A in the backrow, de Belin at lock, Lawrie, Woods as front rowers. Bird, Burgess, Burns and Suli or Sullivan on the bench.
Remember Daniel Vidot? Massive and fast. Used to run off the back fence at a million miles an hour and come to a stop 1 metre before the opposition defensive line..... Kerr isn't as bad as that but the same principle. He'd get hurt less if he ran as fast as he could into the opposition defence.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Remember Daniel Vidot? Massive and fast. Used to run off the back fence at a million miles an hour and come to a stop 1 metre before the opposition defensive line..... Kerr isn't as bad as that but the same principle. He'd get hurt less if he ran as fast as he could into the opposition defence.
You think he's too soft?

Eric

Staff

FIVE potential landing spots for Martin Taupau​

3. St George Illawarra Dragons

Despite a raft of signings upfront for 2022 and beyond, I think it's fair to suggest that the Dragons need a little aggression and power in their engine room.
The Dragons seem hell bent on moving on Tariq Sims, which I still maintain is ridiculous, whilst they added George Burgess and Aaron Woods. Five years ago those two players would be enforcers, but now they look like bench options.

Blake Lawrie is a good prospect but if I'm an opposition forward and I'm asked which NRL front-rower is causing nightmares, with the greatest of respects to Mr Lawrie, I doubt his name comes to mind.

The Dragons have shown they're willing to sign older forwards. Again, 33 isn't exactly "old", and with only 200 (likely 220-ish) games under his belt, Taupau's body hasn't taken 300 or more games of punishment.

I'd name Taupau in the Dragons starting line-up in Round 1. Jack de Belin isn't a front-rower and I'm not willing to name Burgess or Woods over him.
Look for the Dragons to, at very least, have a chat.

Personally I think he would have been good if he were signed now with one more year after this one. As Griffin has already signed so many veteran forwards, I wouldn't want St George to sign this him.

I disagree about Tariq Sims. Goopd player, I'm a fan but need to be ruthless. How much longer is he going to be good for?

I agree about Lawrie and Jack de Belin. But still no. Griffin needs to open the cheque book for some good young players yet to play NRL. Be prepared for 20~30% to bomb out but the 70~80% will make it worthwhile. I mean, surely St George is going to have a good amount of salary cap space available from this season with no top forwards to spend it on.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Despite a raft of signings upfront for 2022 and beyond, I think it's fair to suggest that the Dragons need a little aggression and power in their engine room. The Dragons seem hell bent on moving on Tariq Sims, which I still maintain is ridiculous, whilst they added George Burgess and Aaron Woods. Five years prior those two players would be enforcers, but now they look like bench options.

Blake Lawrie is a strong prospect but if I'm an opposition forward and I'm asked which NRL front-rower is causing nightmares, with the greatest of respects to Blake Lawrie, I doubt his name comes to mind.

The Dragons have shown they're willing to sign older forwards. Again, 33 isn't exactly "old", and with only 200 (likely 220-ish) games under his belt, Taupau's body hasn't taken 300 or more games of punishment.

I'd name Taupau in the Dragons starting line-up in Round 1. Jack de Belin isn't a front-rower and I'm not willing to name Burgess or Woods over him.

Personally I think he would have been good if he were signed now with one more year after this one. As Griffin has already signed so many veteran forwards, I wouldn't want St George to sign this him.

I disagree about Tariq Sims. Goopd player, I'm a fan but need to be ruthless. How much longer is he going to be good for?

I agree about Lawrie and Jack de Belin. But still no. Griffin needs to open the cheque book for some good young players yet to play NRL. Be prepared for 20~30% to bomb out but the 70~80% will make it worthwhile. I mean, surely St George is going to have a good amount of salary cap space available from this season with no top forwards to spend it on.
It's important to remember players are playing longer these days and there is another club entering the competition. And what if Woods and Burgess (and McGuire for that matter) roll back the clock this year? Would it not set a precedent?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Despite a raft of signings upfront for 2022 and beyond, I think it's fair to suggest that the Dragons need a little aggression and power in their engine room.
The Dragons seem hell bent on moving on Tariq Sims, which I still maintain is ridiculous, whilst they added George Burgess and Aaron Woods. Five years ago those two players would be enforcers, but now they look like bench options.

Blake Lawrie is a good prospect but if I'm an opposition forward and I'm asked which NRL front-rower is causing nightmares, with the greatest of respects to Mr Lawrie, I doubt his name comes to mind.

Exoect the Dragons to, at very least, have a chat.

I think the author is a real Dragons supporter but we need a 20 year-old version of Taupau.
It's important to remember players are playing longer these days and there is another club entering the competition. And what if Woods and Burgess (and McGuire for that matter) roll back the clock this year? Would it not set a precedent?
If Woods and Burgess role back the years, it would mean there is definitely no room for Taupau is St George' squad.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Blake Lawrie is a strong prospect but if I'm an opposition forward and I'm asked which NRL front-rower is causing nightmares, with the greatest of respects to Mr Lawrie, I doubt his name comes to mind.

St George Illawarra Dragons have shown they're open to signing older forwards. Again, 33 isn't exactly "old", and with only 200 (likely 220-ish) games under his belt, Taupau's body hasn't taken 300 or more games of punishment.

I disagree about Tariq Sims. Good player, I'm a fan but need to be ruthless. How much longer is he going to be good for?

I would have preferred Taupau for 2 years than Woods or Burgess but what RedV01 RedV01 says is correct. If Woods and Burgess bomb out, it's a valuable lesson not to sign veteran props. If they tear it up, no need for Taupau.

As for Sims, I think it depends how long he wants. 3 years if obviously out of the question. 2 years, possible if he isn't asking for big money.1 year and 1 year option in favour of the club would work. 1 year extension would definately be doable. Then again, it depends on how Burns and Fuimaono go. If they have breakout seasons this year, obviously no need for Sims.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I would have preferred Taupau for 2 years than Woods or Burgess but what RedV01 RedV01 says is correct. If Woods and Burgess bomb out, it's a valuable lesson not to sign veteran props. If they tear it up, no need for Taupau.

As for Sims, I think it depends how long he wants. 3 years if obviously out of the question. 2 years, possible if he isn't asking for big money.1 year and 1 year option in favour of the club would work. 1 year extension would definately be doable. Then again, it depends on how Burns and Fuimaono go. If they have breakout seasons this year, obviously no need for Sims.
If they (Woods and Burgess) tear it up like some years ago, we'll be top 4. That's a big 'if'.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

NRL club roster management: Who needs what and why in transfer market

DRAGONS – Where will Bird fly free?

The Dragons have quietly assembled one of their deepest squads in years, with their forward pack in particular overflowing with experience. With their roster almost done, the biggest question mark is where the versatile Jack Bird will play. The smart money is at lock, which gives him the most opportunities to cause some damage with his running game.
I have noticed that very little has been said about Sims. What will his contribution be this season? I can personally see our edge attacking will be debelin left Sua right. Sua reminds me of a Tyson frizelle type of player. I hope so if that's the case and perhaps Bird at lock if he starts where is Sims in this picture? Thoughts

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I have noticed that very little has been said about Sims. What will his contribution be this season? I can personally see our edge attacking will be debelin left Sua right. Sua reminds me of a Tyson frizelle type of player. I hope so if that's the case and perhaps Bird at lock if he starts where is Sims in this picture? Thoughts
I don't think there is any possibility of de Belin being on a edge. We have been going back and fourth about Bird at lock and de Belin at prop or Bird on the bench and de Belin starting at lock, playing prop in his second stint with Bird at lock. Personally I just don't know. Looking forward to the trials so we can see what Hook is thinking.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
JDB isn't mobile enough to play on an edge. He is excellent in the middle but I think we need to start each game with 2 big props. So JDB lock and Bird on the bench.

Eric

Staff
A Maika Sivo lookalike training with St George Illawarra at Wollongong. Baring a remarkable resemblance to the Parramatta star, Jonathon Reuben has turned heads since joining St George Illawarra on a development deal two weeks ago. The North Queensland product is hoping to get his NRL shot after earning his first full-time deal.

Jonathon Reuben has made a strong early impact St George Illawarra Dragons.

Who care what he looks like? He is a 27 year-old rookie who failed to make the cut at two other clubs. But good luck to him. I hope he proves me wrong. Griffin must have a plan even if to only put a rocket up the Feagai's.

Eric

Staff

Players that clubs are looking to reinvent in 2022 to improve their squads

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS​

Moses Suli

It can be easy to forget Moses Suli is still just 23. The former Tiger and Sea Eagle has been through a lot in his short NRL career but is still hasn't realised the prodigious talent that earned him a deal worth $1.3 million before he had even played first grade.

There were glimpses of Suli’s attacking talent in his four years at Manly that were undercut by defensive issues, but there is undoubtedly plenty of good football in him somewhere. A full pre-season building combinations, working on his defensive reads and ensuring he’s rock-hard fit will put him in good stead.

If St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin can get the best out of him, Suli could be a contender for buy of the year and end the season as one of the most damaging centres in the NRL.

I must admit, I haven't seen much of this guy. Someone said on another thread he was good when he put the effort in but was generally too lazy. I can't disagree with that because I just don't know but I watched the centre at Manly who was keeping Suli out of the team and........ not crazy impressed with him so don't see what Suli is going to do. No way in the world would I want the club to sign the guy who was keeping Suli in the NSW Cup at the expense of either of the Feigai's. So lets hope Griffin has a plan to get the best out of this guy. If he fails to do that, not a big loss as we have the Feagai's ready to go.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I was just reading about Manly poaching a young forward from Wests Tigers and Dolphins targeting a young backrower from North Queensland.

Why the hell isn't St George hitting the market for young forwards? I can only think the coaching staff have very high hopes for young players still around 2 years away from the NRL.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I was just reading about Manly poaching a young forward from Wests Tigers and Dolphins targeting a young backrower from North Queensland.

Why the hell isn't St George hitting the market for young forwards? I can only think the coaching staff have very high hopes for young players still around 2 years away from the NRL.
I'm also interested in what they are doing with the salary cap. No matter how good we or the club think Sullivan and Amone are going to be, they certainly won't be on the money of already established stars. Not even close. I bet their combined salary is less than Normans was. Same for Sloan. It was probably pretty much an even exchange of Dufty's money now on Sloan.

Then the club should have been able to pay some contracts forward given it didn't replace JDB's money on anyone.

Then McInnes and Norman are off the books, both among the highest paid players at the club.

Then other clubs subsidised the contracts of Bird, McGuire, McCullough, Mbye.

So what gives? Must have a lot of salary cap space up the sleeve. Who to target? Which good, young props and backrowers will be after this season? Maybe they are looking to throw big money at a hooker but I doubt that because the club has a high opinion of Connor Muhleisen for next year. Even if he goes the way of Cameron King and Reece Robson, which hooker is going to be available?

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
I'm also interested in what they are doing with the salary cap. No matter how good we or the club think Sullivan and Amone are going to be, they certainly won't be on the money of already established stars. Not even close. I bet their combined salary is less than Normans was. Same for Sloan. It was probably pretty much an even exchange of Dufty's money now on Sloan.

Then the club should have been able to pay some contracts forward given it didn't replace JDB's money on anyone.

Then McInnes and Norman are off the books, both among the highest paid players at the club.

So what gives? Must have a lot of salary cap space up the sleeve. Who to target? Which good, young props and backrowers will be after this season? Maybe they are looking to throw big money at a hooker but I doubt that because the club has a high opinion of Connor Muhleisen for next year. Even if he goes the way of Cameron King and Reece Robson, which hooker is going to be available?
I'm sure they have a plan. Just one I personally can't guess.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

You would have to imagine they are planning to upgrade several younger players. Maybe Amone is going to be so good he will be on a mil a year by the end of this season.