Jack de Belin

Eric

Staff
I hear the rumor the NRL quietly agreed to pay all his legal fees in return for not suing them. I wish he had sued them. The "no fault" policy is a crime in and of itself! The NRL isn't above the law. Innocent until found guilty by a jury of peers. He should have been playing for NSW for the last 3 seasons but good luck to him with PNG.

St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin is reportedly “keen” to play for Papua New Guinea at the 2022 Rugby League World Cup.

De Belin spent more than two years out of the NRL while fighting to clear his name in court and two hung juries ultimately saw charges against him dropped.

The former NSW Blues player returned to the competition this year and he now has more representative duties in his sights.

De Belin, 30, qualifies for the Kumuls via his grandmother and coach Michael Marum is keen to pick him.

“Jack is eligible,” Marum told AAP.

“Through our coaching group, John Wilshere talks to all the players and the clubs about selection.

“Jack was keen and I’m sure if he took the opportunity he would love it.

“He would come in and mix in really well with the other boys.

“I’m sure the boys would love him and the coaching staff and all the country would welcome him.”

The most recent PNG squad was captained by former Bulldogs second-rower Rhyse Martin, who now plays in the Super League for Leeds.

NRL players Justin Olam and David Mead have played for the PNG, while prolific Rabbitohs tryscorer Alex Johnston is also eligible.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I hear the rumor the NRL quietly agreed to pay all his legal fees in return for not suing them. I wish he had sued them. The "no fault" policy is a crime in and of itself! The NRL isn't above the law. Innocent until found guilty by a jury of peers. He should have been playing for NSW for the last 3 seasons but good luck to him with PNG.

St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin is reportedly “keen” to play for Papua New Guinea at the 2022 Rugby League World Cup.

De Belin spent more than two years out of the NRL while fighting to clear his name in court and two hung juries ultimately saw charges against him dropped.

The former NSW Blues player returned to the competition this year and he now has more representative duties in his sights.

De Belin, 30, qualifies for the Kumuls via his grandmother and coach Michael Marum is keen to pick him.

“Through our coaching group, John Wilshere talks to all the players and the clubs about selection.

“I’m sure the boys would love him and the coaching staff and all the country would welcome him.”

The most recent PNG squad was captained by former Bulldogs second-rower Rhyse Martin, who now plays in the Super League for Leeds.

NRL players Justin Olam and David Mead have played for the PNG, while prolific Rabbitohs tryscorer Alex Johnston is also eligible.
The NRL should compensate the club as well!!!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

The NRL should compensate the club as well!!!
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Unless the NRL was going to go to war with its own sponsors. That would only make for more bad publicity and still more trouble with sponsors. Something has to be done about the system as it is now because what happened to De Belin is unacceptable. Something like a maximum of ** games where if it's still not settled, the player is allowed to resume playing until and unless he is convicted. I think the rumor is right the NRL paid him off secretly. I think anyone acquitted would be in a strong position to sue.

Eric

Staff
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Unless the NRL was going to go to war with its own sponsors. That would only make for more bad publicity and still more trouble with sponsors. Something has to be done about the system as it is now because what happened to De Belin is unacceptable. Something like a maximum of ** games where if it's still not settled, the player is allowed to resume playing until and unless he is convicted. I think the rumor is right the NRL paid him off secretly. I think anyone acquitted would be in a strong position to sue.
NRL could have come out and said something like, "We are a responsible organisation which follows the laws of the land. This being so, ******** doesn't face any penalty until criminal proceedings have finished." Then they could have talked about how the disadvantage to the entire team. After that, if any sponsors walk away, the NRL could have publicly shamed them.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sponsors would have quickly got used to the idea of innocent until proven guilty.

Eric

Staff
You think/hope the sponsors would have quickly gotten used to the idea.
Are you talking about NRL general sponsors such as Telstra or St George Illawarra sponsors? Because the latter ruled out any action very early. Well before he went to court to contest his stand down. If the you mean the former, the game existed and thrived long before there was such big money involved. No reason it couldn't again.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
True. You think/hope they would have taken serious action.
It's certainly not a question of hoping that would happen.
Are you talking about NRL general sponsors such as Telstra or St George Illawarra sponsors? Because the latter ruled out any action very early. Well before he went to court to contest his stand down. If the you mean the former, the game existed and thrived long before there was such big money involved. No reason it couldn't again.
It was fine then but now players can easily go to the ESL or European rugby, need those sponsorship $. If it's true he had his legal fees paid as compensation and we know he got his full salary, he didn't lose that much. Jack Bird spent 2 seasons out before last. If my memory serves me correctly, barring a few games, Benji Marshall spent 2 consecutive seasons out when he was in his prime. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

Eric

Staff

It was fine then but now players can easily go to the ESL or European rugby, need those sponsorship $. If it's true he had his legal fees paid as compensation and we know he got his full salary, he didn't lose that much. Jack Bird spent 2 seasons out before last. If my memory serves me correctly, barring a few games, Benji Marshall spent 2 consecutive seasons out when he was in his prime. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.
It was a penalizing almost every player in the team and the club as a whole, not just de Belin. If De Belin was compensated with his legal fees takes care of by the NRL, next we need the club to be compensated.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Just cause one of our perfectly healthy players wasn't allowed to play doesn't mean the rest of the squad was immune to injury.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Just cause one of our perfectly healthy players wasn't allowed to play doesn't mean the rest of the squad was immune to injury.
Alright.It's all water under the bridge now. I wish him well for next season and the next 2 after that. Defensively he hasn't lost anything but we need his offload after running into defenders (rather than just before) back this season. I wonder if Hook told him to forget about the offload last season in order to concentrate on more fundamental parts of his game. I mean, concentrate on offloading before the defensive line which he still does well and get quick play the balls. I can't remember how he did with that last season but this season with some bigger, harder running forwards around him, we need him to do everything better than last season.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Alright.It's all water under the bridge now. I wish him well for next season and the next 2 after that. Defensively he hasn't lost anything but we need his offload after running into defenders (rather than just before) back this season. I wonder if Hook told him to forget about the offload last season in order to concentrate on more fundamental parts of his game. I mean, concentrate on offloading before the defensive line which he still does well and get quick play the balls. I can't remember how he did with that last season but this season with some bigger, harder running forwards around him, we need him to do everything better than last season.
We need the whole team to be better. Amone over Norman will be a huge improvement. Lomax not injured for most of the season also a huge improvement. A full season for Hunt? You can guess where I'm going with this. Again for Woods and Burgess able to consistently bend the line. Lawrie needs to add an offload.

The whole team!

Eric

Staff
Water under the bridge is one way to look at it. An unfair handicap on the entire team which definitely led to financial losses for the club is another, more accurate way, IMO. Personally I'd only consider it "water under the bridge" after the club is financially compensated and some of the bureaucrats such as "The Honorable Peter Beattie" (that's his official title. I'm in favor of him being thrown out of the building head first just for that!) and Andrew Abdo are given marching orders effective immediately!

To be honest, I don't know why St George Illawarra head office is so quiet about it. Has the club been compensated as well? I feel they should be at war with the NRL unless the club has already been handsomely compensated.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Water under the bridge is one way to look at it. An unfair handicap on the entire team which definitely led to financial losses for the club is another, more accurate way, IMO. Personally I'd only consider it "water under the bridge" after the club is financially compensated and some of the bureaucrats such as "The Honorable Peter Beattie" (that's his official title. I'm in favor of him being thrown out of the building head first just for that!) and Andrew Abdo are given marching orders effective immediately!

To be honest, I don't know why St George Illawarra head office is so quiet about it. Has the club been compensated as well? I feel they should be at war with the NRL unless the club has already been handsomely compensated.
Not so sure about Jack de Belin and suing the NRL. I wish it were true, but not sure it is, or whether it's possible. Would have to sue the police, at least one of whom admitted lying in order to bring about charges. You know he won't be punished internally.

The arrogance of some of the NRL commissioners is/was really something to behold but if they can prove major sponsors demanded such action, then the club would have to sue the major sponsors rather than the NRL, wouldn't it? Where would it end? Unfortunately, I think St George Illawarra has to cop it on the chin. His inclusion would have made the team much better but he wasn't like how Thurston was for North Queensland, Trbojevic at Manly, Cleary at Penrith and etc. He wouldn't have been the difference between finishing where we did and a premiership.

Eric

Staff
Not so sure about Jack de Belin and suing the NRL. I wish it were true, but not sure it is, or whether it's possible. Would have to sue the police, at least one of whom admitted lying in order to bring about charges. You know he won't be punished internally.

The arrogance of some of the NRL commissioners is/was really something to behold but if they can prove major sponsors demanded such action, then the club would have to sue the major sponsors rather than the NRL, wouldn't it? Where would it end? Unfortunately, I think St George Illawarra has to cop it on the chin. His inclusion would have made the team much better but he wasn't like how Thurston was for North Queensland, Trbojevic at Manly, Cleary at Penrith and etc. He wouldn't have been the difference between finishing where we did and a premiership.
That last sentence is true but I would have been happier and the club would have been in a better position financially if it had meant the team would have won only 1 more game that it in fact did.

I did hear a line of thought somewhere that the club sticking by Jack de Belin made it more attractive for possible recruits though that could only ever be an opinion based on anecdotal evidence if that.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Sue them all, burn it all down unless the club is compensated and s##t mouth NRL head office staff are stood down.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That last sentence is true but I would have been happier and the club would have been in a better position financially if it had meant the team would have won only 1 more game that it in fact did.

I did hear a line of thought somewhere that the club sticking by Jack de Belin made it more attractive for possible recruits though that could only ever be an opinion based on anecdotal evidence if that.
You would like to think the club gets credit for sticking by him but not sure it'll help with recruiting. Hope it does.

Eric

Staff
Melbourne Storm's Tui Kamikamica has become the latest player to be subjected to the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy as he prepares to fight an assault charge. Kamikamica was last month charged with assaulting a woman he did not know in the heart of Brisbane’s night-life precinct.

The Storm initially stood down Kamikamica independently, after he was issued with a Notice to Appear at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 10 to face the charge.

According to a Melbourne Storm statement, Kamikamica has since informed the club he intends to enter a plea of not guilty to the charge. Under the no-fault stand-down policy, Kamikamica is able to continue training, but will be unavailable for selection to play while court proceedings are ongoing.

“As a result of the policy, and having considered all available information, the club believes it is appropriate that Kamikamica returns to training tomorrow,” Melbourne said on Monday.

Kamikamica was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm following an incident outside a hotel in Fortitude Valley on November 13. He was charged 12 days later and the Storm immediately informed the NRL Integrity Unit.

Uncertainty surrounds Storm's middle forward stocks with teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona’s Storm future also unclear due to his stance against the Covid-19 vaccination.

Asofa-Solomona had, so far, resisted calls to be vaccinated, meaning he is unable to train and play in Victoria under state laws.

Storm officials had held out hope he would change his mind and be able to join pre-season training in January, leaving him just eight weeks to prepare for the Storm’s Round 1 opener against Wests Tigers. He has two years remaining on his Storm contract.

Melbourne Storm will already be without Cameron Munster & Brandon Smith for that game after the pair was suspended over the white powder scandal in the wake of the Storm’s preliminary final loss to eventual premiers Penrith.

Melbourne Storm has not lost a Round 1 game since 2001 against Canterbury and is a $1.32 favourite to beat the Wests Tigers ($3.40) at CommBank Stadium on March 12.

It couldn't happen to scummier club. But of course this guy is only a fringe NRL player. JDB was a SOO star. I also feel the evidence must be much stronger given where it happened. Must be lot's of witnesses and perhaps security camera footage.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Melbourne Storm's Tui Kamikamica has become the latest player to be subjected to the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy as he prepares to fight an assault charge. Kamikamica was last month charged with assaulting a woman he did not know in the heart of Brisbane’s night-life precinct.

The Storm initially stood down Kamikamica independently, after he was issued with a Notice to Appear at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 10 to face the charge.

According to a Melbourne Storm statement, Kamikamica has since informed the club he intends to enter a plea of not guilty to the charge. Under the no-fault stand-down policy, Kamikamica is able to continue training, but will be unavailable for selection to play while court proceedings are ongoing.

“As a result of the policy, and having considered all available information, the club believes it is appropriate that Kamikamica returns to training tomorrow,” Melbourne said on Monday.

Kamikamica was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm following an incident outside a hotel in Fortitude Valley on November 13. He was charged 12 days later and the Storm immediately informed the NRL Integrity Unit.

Uncertainty surrounds Storm's middle forward stocks with teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona’s Storm future also unclear due to his stance against the Covid-19 vaccination.

Asofa-Solomona had, so far, resisted calls to be vaccinated, meaning he is unable to train and play in Victoria under state laws.

Storm officials had held out hope he would change his mind and be able to join pre-season training in January, leaving him just eight weeks to prepare for the Storm’s Round 1 opener against Wests Tigers. He has two years remaining on his Storm contract.

Melbourne Storm will already be without Cameron Munster & Brandon Smith for that game after the pair was suspended over the white powder scandal in the wake of the Storm’s preliminary final loss to eventual premiers Penrith.

Melbourne Storm has not lost a Round 1 game since 2001 against Canterbury and is a $1.32 favourite to beat the Wests Tigers ($3.40) at CommBank Stadium on March 12.

It couldn't happen to scummier club. But of course this guy is only a fringe NRL player. JDB was a SOO star. I also feel the evidence must be much stronger given where it happened. Must be lot's of witnesses and perhaps security camera footage.
I'd like Munster to get suspended due to distribution of cocaine.