Jack de Belin

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Melbourne Storm's Tui Kamikamica has become the latest player to be subjected to the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy as he prepares to fight an assault charge. Kamikamica was last month charged with assaulting a woman he did not know in the heart of Brisbane’s night-life precinct.

The Storm initially stood down Kamikamica independently, after he was issued with a Notice to Appear at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 10 to face the charge.

According to a Melbourne Storm statement, Kamikamica has since informed the club he intends to enter a plea of not guilty to the charge. Under the no-fault stand-down policy, Kamikamica is able to continue training, but will be unavailable for selection to play while court proceedings are ongoing.

“As a result of the policy, and having considered all available information, the club believes it is appropriate that Kamikamica returns to training tomorrow,” Melbourne said on Monday.

Kamikamica was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm following an incident outside a hotel in Fortitude Valley on November 13. He was charged 12 days later and the Storm immediately informed the NRL Integrity Unit.

Uncertainty surrounds Storm's middle forward stocks with teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona’s Storm future also unclear due to his stance against the Covid-19 vaccination.

Asofa-Solomona had, so far, resisted calls to be vaccinated, meaning he is unable to train and play in Victoria under state laws.

Storm officials had held out hope he would change his mind and be able to join pre-season training in January, leaving him just eight weeks to prepare for the Storm’s Round 1 opener against Wests Tigers. He has two years remaining on his Storm contract.

Melbourne Storm will already be without Cameron Munster & Brandon Smith for that game after the pair was suspended over the white powder scandal in the wake of the Storm’s preliminary final loss to eventual premiers Penrith.

Melbourne Storm has not lost a Round 1 game since 2001 against Canterbury and is a $1.32 favourite to beat the Wests Tigers ($3.40) at CommBank Stadium on March 12.

It couldn't happen to scummier club. But of course this guy is only a fringe NRL player. JDB was a SOO star. I also feel the evidence must be much stronger given where it happened. Must be lot's of witnesses and perhaps security camera footage.
I'd like Munster to get suspended due to distribution of cocaine.
None of us are happy about the performance of the team without de Belin. I wouldn't tell anyone what's what but in my opinion, everyone should move on from it. Let's look forward to what is coming, not focus on what has come to pass.

To be honest, I think none of us should be encouraging Melbourne to clean up their act.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
None of us are happy about the performance of the team without de Belin. I wouldn't tell anyone what's what but in my opinion, everyone should move on from it. Let's look forward to what is coming, not focus on what has come to pass.

To be honest, I think none of us should be encouraging Melbourne to clean up their act.
Nah, it's just you don't know how much fun holding a grudge is.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Christmas wishlist: To stay off the front page

What St George Illawarra would give to be plastered across the back page for once.

It’s been a tough few years of headlines for the club as the Jack de Belin case cast an enormous shadow over the club. But the players certainly haven’t helped themselves, on or off the field.

After finally moving past the de Belin situation they decided it was a brilliant idea to have an illegal house party as millions of Australians locked down.

Simply put: no St George Illawarra Dragons player needs a new BBQ for Christmas. They need a headline about winning a game of football. Any game will do.

They just won't STFU about this. Anyway, happy Christmas everyone.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Christmas wishlist: To stay off the front page

What St George Illawarra would give to be plastered across the back page for once.

It’s been a tough few years of headlines for the club as the Jack de Belin case cast an enormous shadow over the club. But the players certainly haven’t helped themselves, on or off the field.

After finally moving past the de Belin situation they decided it was a brilliant idea to have an illegal house party as millions of Australians locked down.

Simply put: no Dragons player needs a new BBQ for Christmas. They need a headline about winning a game of football. Any game will do.

They just won't STFU about this. Anyway, happy Christmas everyone.
Nothing less than De Belin back to his best will make them STFU. So the ball is in his court.

Eric

Staff

NRL 2022: Which player at your club is under the most pressure to perform this season​

The NRL is a pressure cooker. Michael Carayannis takes a look at all 16 clubs to identify who is set to feel the heat heading into 2022.

Jack de Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)

The Dragons stood by and showed great faith in de Belin, the ex-Blue by giving him a rich long-term deal. He certainly looked like a player at times who had not played in the NRL in a while. He gets a full pre-season after playing 11 matches in 2021. Showed glimpses of his best but could not find the consistency he showed in 2018. Will be shifted from lock to prop.

Usually these morons don't know what they are talking about. I think he'll start at lock, get a break and then come back on as a prop. He wasn't our worst last season. Far from it. But I agree we really need him to get back to what he was like before being stood down.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2022: Which player at your club is under the most pressure to perform this season​

The NRL is a pressure cooker. Michael Carayannis takes a look at all 16 clubs to identify who is set to feel the heat heading into 2022.

The Dragons stood by and showed great faith in de Belin, the ex-Blue by giving him a rich long-term deal. He certainly looked like a player at times who had not played in the NRL in a while. He gets a full pre-season after playing 11 matches in 2021. Showed glimpses of his best but could not find the consistency he showed in 2018. Will be shifted from lock to prop.

Usually these morons don't know what they are talking about. I think he'll start at lock, get a break and then come back on as a prop. He wasn't our worst last season. Far from it. But I agree we really need him to get back to what he was like before being stood down.
Maybe after such a long layoff, he won't be able to get back like he was. Baldy McGregor warning about that. I hope I'm wrong. The teams needs me to be wrong.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons stood by and showed great faith in de Belin, the former NSW Blue by giving him a rich long-term deal. He certainly looked like a player at times who had not played in the NRL in a while. He gets a full pre-season after playing 11 matches in 2021. Showed glimpses of his best but could not find the consistency he showed in 2018. Will be shifted from lock to prop.

Usually these idiots don't know what they are talking about. I think he'll start at lock, get a break and then come back on as a prop. He wasn't our worst last season. Far from it. But I agree we really need him to get back to what he was like before being stood down.
Lets see what happens in trials. I also think Jack Bird could really do some damage coming on the the middle after 20~30 min but we have an abundance of backrowers but prop could be a problem. De Belin at prop would go a long way to solving that. But I think it'd be better for 2 of Woods, Burgess, Kerr to justify selection with Lawrie and Molo so JDB can play lock.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe after such a long layoff, he won't be able to get back like he was. Baldy McGregor warning about that. I hope I'm wrong. The teams needs me to be wrong.
Possible but the opposite is more likely to be true than anything Baldy says.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons stuck by and showed great faith in de Belin, the ex-Blue by giving him a rich long-term deal. He certainly looked like a player at times who had not played in the NRL in a while. He gets a full pre-season after playing 11 matches in 2021. Showed glimpses of his best but could not find the consistency he showed in 2018. Will be shifted from lock to prop.

The guy was found not guilty. It would be nice if the media cut him some slack but I guess it's a popular topic. I don't think it's anything personal.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Possible but the opposite is more likely to be true than anything Baldy says.
He wasn't always wrong. Don't ask me on what point. Over the last 2 or 3 years or his tenure, I stopped paying attention to anything he said.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons stuck by and displayed tremendous faith in Jack de Belin, the ex-NSW Blue by giving him a rich long-term deal. He definitely looked like a player at times who had not played in the NRL in a while. He gets a full off-season after playing 11 matches in 2021. Showed glimpses of his best but could not find the consistency he showed in 2018. Will be shifted from lock to prop.

When you think about it in a cool manner, you may find they are right. I wasn't disappointed but was surprised about the length and size of his contract given how long he had been out.

Anyway, let's hope he justifies the clubs decision.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Unless the NRL was going to go to war with its own sponsors. That would only make for more bad publicity and still more trouble with sponsors. Something has to be done about the system as it is now because what happened to De Belin is unacceptable. Something like a maximum of ** games where if it's still not settled, the player is allowed to resume playing until and unless he is convicted. I think the rumor is right the NRL paid him off secretly. I think anyone acquitted would be in a strong position to sue.
As everyone has seen the wheels of justice move very slowly. Unfortunately the issue here is in reality the sponsors. No sponsor would want their brand tarnished even though the allegations against an individual or a group of players have not yet been proven. Therefore the NRL and club are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to this type of criminal allegation. So you can't really have the innocent until proven guilty stance even though you should.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
As everyone has seen the wheels of justice move very slowly. Unfortunately the issue here is in reality the sponsors. No sponsor would want their brand tarnished even though the allegations against an individual or a group of players have not yet been proven. Therefore the NRL and club are caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to this type of criminal allegation. So you can't really have the innocent until proven guilty stance even though you should.
Precisely! It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. No easy solution as far as I can see it. And these days the cops take any accusations of violence toward females very seriously.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Precisely! It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. No easy solution as far as I can see it. And these days the cops take any accusations of violence toward females very seriously.
It is damned if you do, damned if you don't so the NRL should come out and say they obey and aren't above the law. So, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If sponsors don't like it, the NRL could publicly call them out.

I don't care anymore. Let such misfortune befall another club. I just wish that's what happened to de Belin. Not just for us but because it seems fair.

Eric

Staff
It is damned if you do, damned if you don't so the NRL should come out and say they obey and aren't above the law. So, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If sponsors don't like it, the NRL could publicly call them out.

I don't care anymore. Let such misfortune befall another club. I just wish that's what happened to de Belin. Not just for us but because it seems fair.
We could literally go around and around forever on this. I'm angry about how it handicapped the team but as for JDB himself as an individual, I really don't know or don't have an opinion. Just too difficult. He isn't guilty but he was guilty of putting himself in a position where such charges could be laid against him. I just hope it happens to a key Melbourne player soon.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
We could literally go around and around forever on this. I'm angry about how it handicapped the team but as for JDB himself as an individual, I really don't know or don't have an opinion. Just too difficult. He isn't guilty but he was guilty of putting himself in a position where such charges could be laid against him. I just hope it happens to a key Melbourne player soon.
Obviously it's out of the hands of the NRL but one solution might be that in the case where one can't do one's profession while the case is ongoing, would be for an interim verdict to be handed down by a judge before a full jury trial. In cases where it takes literally years, as was the case for De Belin.

Eric

Staff
Obviously it's out of the hands of the NRL but one solution might be that in the case where one can't do one's profession while the case is ongoing, would be for an interim verdict to be handed down by a judge before a full jury trial. In cases where it takes literally years, as was the case for De Belin.
Makes sense but to radically transform the criminal justice system is probably a little beyond the scope of this forum, St George Illawarra or the NRL:rolleyes:.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Makes sense but to radically transform the criminal justice system is probably a little beyond the scope of this forum, St George Illawarra or the NRL:rolleyes:.
The law is most definitely not going to change. The law is innocent until proven guilty however for the purposes of brand and sponsorship protection the NRL has determined that this is the way to go which is actually visa versa to the actual law.

Eric

Staff
The law is most definitely not going to change. The law is innocent until proven guilty however for the purposes of brand and sponsorship protection the NRL has determined that this is the way to go which is actually visa versa to the actual law.
If you give it cool thought, Chris M Chris M 's idea would probably create more problems than it solves. Who is going to accept "an interim verdict" if it doesn't go his or her way. I just don't think there is any way around it until the NRL is sued and forced to stop it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If you give it cool thought, Chris M Chris M 's idea would probably create more problems than it solves. Who is going to accept "an interim verdict" if it doesn't go his or her way. I just don't think there is any way around it until the NRL is sued and forced to stop it.
I think that you find that all contracts have the clause that ensures the club can't be sued if a player brings the club or the game into disrepute as a result of alleged criminal acts.