Jack de Belin

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think that you find that all contracts have the clause that ensures the club can't be sued if a player brings the club or the game into disrepute as a result of alleged criminal acts.
Makes sense but then, what is 'bringing the game into disrepute'. Isn't penalising an innocent man 'bringing the game into disrepute'?

Difficult situation.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think that you find that all contracts have the clause that ensures the club can't be sued if a player brings the club or the game into disrepute as a result of alleged criminal acts.
I've always thought about some kind of gambling syndicate setting up a key player they know will eventually be cleared in the long-term but stood down in the short-term.

That's why I don't think there is any point for the NRL to be a law unto themselves rather than follow (and act on) the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Though now it's over with, I really don't care anymore. Surely another club will be disadvantaged by it before we are again.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think we can all agree, we need de Belin back to his best, whether prop or lock, this year if we are to go anywhere. By "his best" I mean the same defence with the offload back. Apart from the offload, his game didn't miss a beat as far as I saw after he came back.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I think we can all agree, we need de Belin back to his best, whether prop or lock, this year if we are to go anywhere. By "his best" I mean the same defence with the offload back. Apart from the offload, his game didn't miss a beat as far as I saw after he came back.
Hes no prop so I hope that we have bolstered our pack he can play his best position

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I agree. If he is forced to play prop, we are in trouble. I think he won't be. What were Burgess, Molo and Woods recruited for if JDB is going to play prop?
He isn't a starting prop but after he takes a break around 30min in and returns for the last 30min, I don't see why he and Bird couldn't both be in the middle.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He isn't a starting prop but after he takes a break around 30min in and returns for the last 30min, I don't see why he and Bird couldn't both be in the middle.
My view Bird deserves a starting spot so its centre for me JDB 2nd row possibly with Gosiewski then the front row Burgess/Woods/Molo/Lawrie now that's a good rotation up front only asking each prop to play 20 min halves barring injuries/suspension then with McCullough hooker. The engine room is looking more like an 8 cylinder car than last years 4 cylinders and they can lay the foundations for a very competitive team

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
My view Bird deserves a starting spot so its centre for me JDB 2nd row possibly with Gosiewski then the front row Burgess/Woods/Molo/Lawrie now that's a good rotation up front only asking each prop to play 20 min halves barring injuries/suspension then with McCullough hooker. The engine room is looking more like an 8 cylinder car than last years 4 cylinders and they can lay the foundations for a very competitive team
So you would leave Su'A and Sims out of the 17? I think they would be two of the first picked. Hunt, McCullough, de Belin, Sims, Su'A, Lomax are certainties in my view. I'd add Bird to that, just not sure where. He is a good centre but he has bulked up to play in the forwards. He was already slow for a centre. I think his time in the backline is over unless covering for injuries.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So you would leave Su'A and Sims out of the 17? I think they would be two of the first picked. Hunt, McCullough, de Belin, Sims, Su'A, Lomax are certainties in my view. I'd add Bird to that, just not sure where. He is a good centre but he has bulked up to play in the forwards. He was already slow for a centre. I think his time in the backline is over unless covering for injuries.
Opps so sorry Sua definitely an in, that just goes to show you our depth, Sims at the very best off the bench rotation. I only put Bird in the centres because there really isnt any room for him in the pack and dont forget McGuire I know hes out until round 6 but hes a coaches favourite so he will slip him in off the bench as well, we are looking extremely strong in our engine room this year, no room for Bird in the pack in my view but you are spot on about his speed he is not in my view an attacking weapon in the centres, what a quadrium glad im not the coach

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Opps so sorry Sua definitely an in, that just goes to show you our depth, Sims at the very best off the bench rotation. I only put Bird in the centres because there really isnt any room for him in the pack and dont forget McGuire I know hes out until round 6 but hes a coaches favourite so he will slip him in off the bench as well, we are looking extremely strong in our engine room this year, no room for Bird in the pack in my view but you are spot on about his speed he is not in my view an attacking weapon in the centres, what a quadrium glad im not the coach
Billy Burns is also a strong contender. He's almost the prototype for an edge backrower. In that he's tall, mobile and plays 80min. I know he didn't do much last year but this year being bigger and stronger, I think he'll force his way into the 17.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'm a fan of Sims. Not enough to offer him 2 more years but enough to be a starting backrower this year. Even next year if he were to accept a one year extension.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm a fan of Sims. Not enough to offer him 2 more years but enough to be a starting backrower this year. Even next year if he were to accept a one year extension.
I was he is an outstanding athletic specimen but for some reason he hasnt been playing with the same passion that he plays when he pulls on a blues jersey, hopefully with the engine room stacked with talented players this year he will lift. 2nd rowers well JDB a certainty, then you have Sims/Sua /Goliewski, lock will be interesting perhaps JDB at lock because of his beautiful tackling style, have said elsewhere his tackling technique reminds me of a Ronnie Coote for those who remember those days, so in saying that I would put him at lock the other 3 can fight for the starting spots for 2nd rower, just a view of a very old broken down coach

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I was he is an outstanding athletic specimen but for some reason he hasnt been playing with the same passion that he plays when he pulls on a blues jersey, hopefully with the engine room stacked with talented players this year he will lift. 2nd rowers well JDB a certainty, then you have Sims/Sua /Goliewski, lock will be interesting perhaps JDB at lock because of his beautiful tackling style, have said elsewhere his tackling technique reminds me of a Ronnie Coote for those who remember those days, so in saying that I would put him at lock the other 3 can fight for the starting spots for 2nd rower, just a view of a very old broken down coach
In fairness to Sims, in SOO last year he was running off Cleary but for us he was running off Corey Norman. He wasn't bad for us but he was outstanding in SOO last year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In fairness to Sims, in SOO last year he was running off Cleary but for us he was running off Corey Norman. He wasn't bad for us but he was outstanding in SOO last year.
I agree but for me watching him with such high expectations knowing and seeing what he was capable of achieving he really never put himself into the game at times we really needed him to stamp his authority. In saying that you can only play as well as the opposition allow you too and only as good as your own team allows you too so I might have been a bit harsh on him, lets not forget he has achieved something that 99.5% will never, playing 1st grade, and playing for his state so no matter what anyone thinks of him he has achieved. Im sure we will see a different version of him this year with more assistance in the engine room, time will tell

Eric

Staff
I agree but for me watching him with such high expectations knowing and seeing what he was capable of achieving he really never put himself into the game at times we really needed him to stamp his authority. In saying that you can only play as well as the opposition allow you too and only as good as your own team allows you too so I might have been a bit harsh on him, lets not forget he has achieved something that 99.5% will never, playing 1st grade, and playing for his state so no matter what anyone thinks of him he has achieved. Im sure we will see a different version of him this year with more assistance in the engine room, time will tell
Fighting for a new contract might fire him up this year. And as you mentioned, with a better supporting cast around him, it might allow him to play like he did in Origin last year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I believe we will see a different Sims and a different dragons this year quite simply because of our recruitment in the engine room
With big props rolling forward, Amone a constant menace, Sims' ability to time his runs and run into gaps, I think he is going to excel. Might even get another two years. Though not if Burns comes good this year. Sua is young as well so if Burns comes good and Sua is consistently good, there are our backrowers for at least the next 3 years.

Hook wouldn't have brought in Burns to play in the NSW Cup.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
With big props rolling forward, Amone a constant menace, Sims' ability to time his runs and run into gaps, I think he is going to excel. Might even get another two years. Though not if Burns comes good this year. Sua is young as well so if Burns comes good and Sua is consistently good, there are our backrowers for at least the next 3 years.

Hook wouldn't have brought in Burns to play in the NSW Cup.
Burns could easily maintain his speed and stamina at 110kg. He was 104 last season. Could be an absolute weapon!