Jack de Belin

Eric

Staff
Burns could easily maintain his speed and stamina at 110kg. He was 104 last season. Could be an absolute weapon!
He is kind of another Josh Kerr. He is too big and too mobile to not cause more problems for the opposition defence.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
With big props rolling forward, Amone a constant menace, Sims' ability to time his runs and run into gaps, I think he is going to excel. Might even get another two years. Though not if Burns comes good this year. Sua is young as well so if Burns comes good and Sua is consistently good, there are our backrowers for at least the next 3 years.

Hook wouldn't have brought in Burns to play in the NSW Cup.
I agree but can't find a spot for him in the starting 17

Eric

Staff
I agree but can't find a spot for him in the starting 17
Sims will surely be in the best 17 this season. Unless his form goes off a cliff in the early rounds. He will probably be pushing for Origin selection again. Beyond this year is the question. Billy Burns is also off contract after this year so it's not like the club is in a rush to sign him either. O'fuo is still on a development contract. I wonder what Griffin is thinking for backrowers beyond this year? Bird, also unsigned, and Su'A?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sims will surely be in the best 17 this season. Unless his form goes off a cliff in the early rounds. He will probably be pushing for Origin selection again. Beyond this year is the question. Billy Burns is also off contract after this year so it's not like the club is in a rush to sign him either. O'fuo is still on a development contract. I wonder what Griffin is thinking for backrowers beyond this year? Bird, also unsigned, and Su'A?
He had better perform consistently better given how many other backrowers there are at the club.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons Jack de Belin breaks silence on dropped allegations, darkest moments

In his first interview over three years, St George Illawarra Dragons lock Jack de Belin reveals he refused to consider life in prison, opens up on his cancer scare and hiding under the bed during the infamous BBQ.

Jack de Belin says he refused to consider the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison. “I never once thought about spending time behind bars. It just wasn’t a possibility in my mind that I wouldn’t be there to spend time with my girls,’’ De Belin said. “I never really took any interest in that whole situation. I don’t know if it was my ego or just blind optimism, but I never once thought of ever going to jail. “I think that’s maybe what kept me strong. “The people who know me and who are in my inner circle know for a fact I’d never do anything like what I’ve been accused of. “I can hold my head high.’’

de Belin has spoken out for the first time three years and nine months. Picture: James Corman. In his first media interview in over three years and nine months after The Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (NSW) dropped its sexual assault case against he and co-accused Callan Sinclair, the St George Illawarra forward broke down in tears as he described the impact the saga has had on his life, partner, family and NRL career.

“The darkest moment was definitely going to the police station,’’ De Belin said. “I had no idea I was going to get charged. I thought I was just going down there to have a chat. “But being charged and arrested when I arrived was definitely the darkest time.” He also discussed his cancer scare, claims he hid from police under a bed during an unauthorised team barbecue last year, why he wants to repay the faith of the Dragons and his ambition to return to the State of Origin arena.

“I’d love to get back there (Origin),’’ De Belin said. “I think it’d be a good story for anyone out there that’s had tough times or had something taken away from them that you can overcome any obstacle. “I’d want to hope that, if I’m playing well, I’d be selected for sure.”

Eric

Staff

Part II​

THE FALLOUT
Why de Belin, who was with his partner at the time, allowed himself to be in a situation that would ultimately change the course of his life, is the question that members of the public have wrestled with. De Belin admitted the mistake of being inside the Wollongong unit on the night was on him.

“I’m not necessarily saying I’m sorry, things happened and have panned out the way they have,’’ De Belin said. “I am sorry my family got put through this whole situation, [and] my friends. “Those are mistakes you make. “That’s something I look back on and, in the three years since I made that mistake, I’ve learned a lot about myself. “Everything happens for a reason.

“I’ve got to look at the positives and, because of this thing that’s happened to me, I don’t think I’d be the father I am today, the partner I am today and the person I am today. “It’s like anything, you’ve got to take the positives out of each situation as dark as it may be.’’ Asked if he worried about what the public thought of him, de Belin replied: “It doesn’t concern me in the slightest. “People are entitled to their opinion, that’s just life.’’

MAKING CHANGES
De Belin claimed he had changed from the person he was three years ago, motivated to become a better person and father, to his two daughters, Billie, 3, and Indie, 1. “It’s one of the most amazing things to become a father,’’ De Belin said. “I just love them so much. I love my girls so much.” “Being there, in their lives and being a good role model as a father is something I’m definitely striving to do.

“I was a bit selfish for a while there. I suppose a lot of football players are, you have to be if you’re a professional athlete. “I was a bit consumed in my own life and what was best for me without putting others first. “To now have two children - it just blows your mind, that it’s not all about you.’’

To learn from one's mistakes is important. To state the obvious but I mean, act on that rather than just say it.

NO-FAULT STAND DOWN POLICY
De Belin was one of the first players to be suspended under the NRL’s no-fault stand down policy introduced under former NRL CEO Todd Greenberg in February, 2019. The rule was designed to protect the game’s brand during a period of which a player has been charged with a serious crime.

De Belin stopped short of asking the NRL to scrap the rule, but when asked if he felt let down by the game due to the lengthy period he spent on the sidelines, he replied: “I suppose so, especially when you haven’t had your day in court and nothing’s played out.

“I can see exactly what they’re doing, they’ve got to do what they need to do to protect the game. “I thought it’d be six months and then it (case) would get pushed back for whatever reason and pushed back again. “Before I knew it there was a second trial and it slowly dragged on. Before I knew it, it was close to three years before it was finally behind me. “That’s up to the NRL to decide (if they need to review the policy). “But at the same time, when you know you haven’t done something and you’re innocent and you’re not allowed to do your job or your occupation … it is what it is.’’

Now this is utterly ridiculous. The NRL isn't a law unto itself. I hope they don't change it because another club is much more likely to be effected by it and Manly is right now but the cornerstone of the law is that one is innocent until proven guilty. I don't know how much the pigs in the NRL head office paid JDB but he shouldn't say this! He at least should say something more neutral.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Part II​

THE FALLOUT
Why de Belin, who was with his partner at the time, allowed himself to be in a situation that would ultimately change the course of his life, is the question that members of the public have wrestled with. De Belin admitted the mistake of being inside the Wollongong unit on the night was on him.

“I’m not necessarily saying I’m sorry, things happened and have panned out the way they have,’’ De Belin said. “I am sorry my family got put through this whole situation, [and] my friends. “Those are mistakes you make. “That’s something I look back on and, in the three years since I made that mistake, I’ve learned a lot about myself. “Everything happens for a reason.

“I’ve got to look at the positives and, because of this thing that’s happened to me, I don’t think I’d be the father I am today, the partner I am today and the person I am today. “It’s like anything, you’ve got to take the positives out of each situation as dark as it may be.’’ Asked if he worried about what the public thought of him, de Belin replied: “It doesn’t concern me in the slightest. “People are entitled to their opinion, that’s just life.’’

MAKING CHANGES
De Belin claimed he had changed from the person he was three years ago, motivated to become a better person and father, to his two daughters, Billie, 3, and Indie, 1. “It’s one of the most amazing things to become a father,’’ De Belin said. “I just love them so much. I love my girls so much.” “Being there, in their lives and being a good role model as a father is something I’m definitely striving to do.

“I was a bit selfish for a while there. I suppose a lot of football players are, you have to be if you’re a professional athlete. “I was a bit consumed in my own life and what was best for me without putting others first. “To now have two children - it just blows your mind, that it’s not all about you.’’

To learn from one's mistakes is important. To state the obvious but I mean, act on that rather than just say it.

NO-FAULT STAND DOWN POLICY
De Belin was one of the first players to be suspended under the NRL’s no-fault stand down policy introduced under former NRL CEO Todd Greenberg in February, 2019. The rule was designed to protect the game’s brand during a period of which a player has been charged with a serious crime.

De Belin stopped short of asking the NRL to scrap the rule, but when asked if he felt let down by the game due to the lengthy period he spent on the sidelines, he replied: “I suppose so, especially when you haven’t had your day in court and nothing’s played out.

“I can see exactly what they’re doing, they’ve got to do what they need to do to protect the game. “I thought it’d be six months and then it (case) would get pushed back for whatever reason and pushed back again. “Before I knew it there was a second trial and it slowly dragged on. Before I knew it, it was close to three years before it was finally behind me. “That’s up to the NRL to decide (if they need to review the policy). “But at the same time, when you know you haven’t done something and you’re innocent and you’re not allowed to do your job or your occupation … it is what it is.’’

Now this is utterly ridiculous. The NRL isn't a law unto itself. I hope they don't change it because another club is much more likely to be effected by it and Manly is right now but the cornerstone of the law is that one is innocent until proven guilty. I don't know how much the pigs in the NRL head office paid JDB but he shouldn't say this! He at least should say something more neutral.
I don't know that he is wrong, as unfair as it seems, but talk about taking the high road. Surely they must have paid him off. Last time he spoke about it, he was non-committal about whether or not he was going to sue the NRL. Now he's full of praise....... Yeah, he was paid off.
Is it the same interview? Seems the one above is a little different.

More. I didn't realise he had such a squeaky voice:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
I don't know that he is wrong, as unfair as it seems, but talk about taking the high road. Surely they must have paid him off. Last time he spoke about it, he was non-committal about whether or not he was going to sue the NRL. Now he's full of praise....... Yeah, he was paid off.

I had only heard him speak after games when his voice seemed far less squeaky.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

It's not that squeaky. But it was a poor choice of words. He should have said something like, 'I did the wrong thing morally regarding my partner and our kids but legally I did absolutely nothing wrong.'

Eric

Staff
It's not that squeaky. But it was a poor choice of words. He should have said something like, 'I did the wrong thing morally regarding my partner and our kids but legally I did absolutely nothing wrong.'
He's just not media savvy. That's what he meant, the interview leaves no doubt, but the media will spin it, and is spinning it to say he says he did nothing wrong.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I just feel that now he has spoken about it, and the team was screwed, or terribly disadvantaged at best, for 2 seasons no matter what agreement De Belin and the NRL reached, it's time to leave this unfortunate episode in the rearview mirror.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Culture war over Jack de Belin​

Jack de Belin’s first media interview got swamped by some big news stories, but there are things that need to be said. It’s worth noting it took place without a sponsors backdrop and that only male journalists were present. The interview was raw but incomplete. His lack of remorse for what happened to the young woman in the matter was based on his unshakeable belief that he did nothing wrong.

St George Illawarra's Jack de Belin has settled his defamation case against The Daily Telegraph. ‘I didn’t do the wrong thing’:​

De Belin breaks three-year silence on sexual assault allegations. De Belin and Callan Sinclair were charged with the sexual assault of a then 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong unit in 2018. They pleaded not guilty to all charges. In May 2021, the pair were found not guilty on one charge and the jury could not make a majority decision on the other five. After two juries were unable to reach verdicts in two trials, the charges were dropped when the DPP said it would not pursue a third trial.

De Belin’s tears in the interview for his partner were genuine, but we will never see the pain he caused to the woman he was involved with on the night. We never heard him answer questions about what he called a “standard bun” (slang for group sex) in a text conversation with NSW teammate Angus Crichton. That reflects horribly on de Belin and the attitude of a sport to women if that behaviour is considered “standard”. It’s sad to think that this kind of attitude exists.

The interview was largely unscripted – he had a one-hour session with a media expert and was given tips before fronting a select group of journalists – but the words were his. It was smart by the Dragons to get his first public comments out of the way before the season starts, so they can start their campaign without the shadow of his silence hanging over it. Their view is it gives de Belin public closure. But, unfortunately, there are still other people living with the pain caused by an evening that was anything but standard.

WTF is this BS? He should be furious with her, not be concerned about the "pain" something thinks she must feel.

The second part is also BS. If the female wants it, it's bad to give it to her?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The NRL really has it in for de Belin. Is it any surprise why he would prefer to speak to males about bogus sexual assault allegations while his partner was pregnant at home? I mean, of course! What's the issue? Whether true or not it really suggested a bad character as far as his attitude toward women was. I don't know him personally but I get the distinct impression that isn't a true reflection of his attitude. This being so, he'd obviously not want to discuss it with female reporters. Or at least, much prefer to discuss it with male reporters.

NRL investigating female journo snub at Jack de Belin interview​

NRL supreme ruler Peter V’landys isn't happy over revelations surrounding the interview that left St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin in tears. Details have emerged surrounding the heavily media-managed interview when de Belin fronted the media for the first time in over three years earlier this month, speaking with a select group of journalists at WIN Stadium.

Four journalists were hand-picked for the interview and the interview was closed to other media agencies. None of the reporters were women.
In May last year, the Director of Public Prosecutions withdrew sexual assault charges against de Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair following two District Court trials which ended in hung juries. Both men consistently maintained they were innocent and had pleaded not guilty to all charges.

After a three-year hiatus from the NRL, de Belin made his long-awaited return to professional rugby league last season, playing 11 games for the Dragons in 2021. But after refusing to discuss the court case with the media for more than three years, de Belin finally broke his silence on the eve of the 2022 premiership, claiming he never considered the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison.

He also raised eyebrows when he said: “I’m not necessarily saying I’m sorry”. The circumstances surrounding the interview have now left V’landys unhappy with the Dragons. V’landys has told The Sydney Morning Herald, he contacted the club to demand answers. “We want as many women in the game, and they should always feel comfortable and encouraged,” V’landys said.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The NRL really has it in for de Belin. Is it any surprise why he would prefer to speak to males about bogus sexual assault allegations while his partner was pregnant at home? I mean, of course! What's the issue? Whether true or not it really suggested a bad character as far as his attitude toward women was. I don't know him personally but I get the distinct impression that isn't a true reflection of his attitude. This being so, he'd obviously not want to discuss it with female reporters. Or at least, much prefer to discuss it with male reporters.

NRL investigating female journo snub at Jack de Belin interview​

NRL supreme ruler Peter V’landys isn't happy over revelations surrounding the interview that left St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin in tears. Details have emerged surrounding the heavily media-managed interview when de Belin fronted the media for the first time in over three years earlier this month, speaking with a select group of journalists at WIN Stadium.

Four journalists were hand-picked for the interview and the interview was closed to other media agencies. None of the reporters were women.
In May last year, the Director of Public Prosecutions withdrew sexual assault charges against de Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair following two District Court trials which ended in hung juries. Both men consistently maintained they were innocent and had pleaded not guilty to all charges.

After a three-year hiatus from the NRL, de Belin made his long-awaited return to professional rugby league last season, playing 11 games for the Dragons in 2021. But after refusing to discuss the court case with the media for more than three years, de Belin finally broke his silence on the eve of the 2022 premiership, claiming he never considered the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison.

He also raised eyebrows when he said: “I’m not necessarily saying I’m sorry”. The circumstances surrounding the interview have now left V’landys unhappy with the Dragons. V’landys has told The Sydney Morning Herald, he contacted the club to demand answers. “We want as many women in the game, and they should always feel comfortable and encouraged,” V’landys said.
The club needs to come out and tell Peter V’landys in a not too subtle manner to STFU and the club will invite whoever the hell they like to interview players.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

War hero to Kangaroo: de Belin to honour 'Pop' on ANZAC Day​

When Jack de Belin was growing up in Cootamundra, he would visit his grandparents each ANZAC Day to put on his grandfather’s World War II medals before taking part in the ceremonial march down Parker Street. De Belin will again represent his grandfather, Fred – the Balmain great who flew suicide missions over Germany with the RAAF – in Monday’s annual ANZAC Day clash between the Dragons and Roosters at the SCG.

Fred de Belin
It is the match the St George Illawarra forward missed the most during the two-and-a-half years he was stood down from the NRL while defending sexual assault charges before returning last May. Instead, he attended the Dawn Service at Wollongong Cenotaph to honour his grandfather, who initially joined the RAAF as a pilot after playing the 1942 season for the Tigers.

On his way to Europe, Fred de Belin spent time in Canada training to become a ‘bomb aimer’ and he flew 30 bombing missions before returning home after the war to help Balmain to the 1946 premiership. “We are so lucky. We live in probably the best country in the world, and we owe a lot to all of those people who went and fought for our freedoms,” de Belin said. “Knowing that my Pop did that, and having so much to do with him as a child was very special.

“Every ANZAC Day I used to do the parade and march down the main street of Cootamundra. It was always a proud day for me because I used to wear my Pop’s medals. “I would go around to my grandparents’ house and my nan used to put the medals on me and I’d march with the Cubs or Scouts, and I think a couple of times I did it with the school.

“It was a pretty proud moment to put on your Pop’s medals and march knowing that he fought in the war and sacrificed so much for future generations.” Fred de Belin also played 75 matches for the Tigers and was inducted into the Balmain Hall of Fame in 2006.

He also played 10 interstate matches for NSW and represented Australia in eight Tests, playing alongside the likes of Clive Churchill, Keith Holman and Duncan Hall. “When I first came to the Dragons, Wayne Bennett told me that his uncle, Eddie Brosnan, who was a big part of his life, played for Australia with my Pop,” de Belin said. “I think Wayne probably had a bit of a soft spot for me because of that. “I have never seen any footage of my Pop playing but now that I play footy at a high level it was obviously in my blood through him. “When I used to go around to Nan and Pop’s there was a Balmain jersey with all the great players and there was an Australian side that he was in. “I am very proud to know that my Pop played football at the highest level, and he also served his country.”

Eric

Staff

War hero to Kangaroo: de Belin to honour 'Pop' on ANZAC Day​

When Jack de Belin was growing up in Cootamundra, he would visit his grandparents each ANZAC Day to put on his grandfather’s World War II medals before taking part in the ceremonial march down Parker Street. De Belin will again represent his grandfather, Fred – the Balmain great who flew suicide missions over Germany with the RAAF – in Monday’s annual ANZAC Day clash between the Dragons and Roosters at the SCG.

It is the match the St George Illawarra forward missed the most during the two-and-a-half years he was stood down from the NRL while defending sexual assault charges before returning last May. Instead, he attended the Dawn Service at Wollongong Cenotaph to honour his grandfather, who initially joined the RAAF as a pilot after playing the 1942 season for the Tigers.

On his way to Europe, Fred de Belin spent time in Canada training to become a ‘bomb aimer’ and he flew 30 bombing missions before returning home after the war to help Balmain to the 1946 premiership. “We are so lucky. We live in probably the best country in the world, and we owe a lot to all of those people who went and fought for our freedoms,” de Belin said. “Knowing that my Pop did that, and having so much to do with him as a child was very special.

“Every ANZAC Day I used to do the parade and march down the main street of Cootamundra. It was always a proud day for me because I used to wear my Pop’s medals. “I would go around to my grandparents’ house and my nan used to put the medals on me and I’d march with the Cubs or Scouts, and I think a couple of times I did it with the school.

“It was a pretty proud moment to put on your Pop’s medals and march knowing that he fought in the war and sacrificed so much for future generations.” Fred de Belin also played 75 matches for the Tigers and was inducted into the Balmain Hall of Fame in 2006.

He also played 10 interstate matches for NSW and represented Australia in eight Tests, playing alongside the likes of Clive Churchill, Keith Holman and Duncan Hall. “When I first came to the Dragons, Wayne Bennett told me that his uncle, Eddie Brosnan, who was a big part of his life, played for Australia with my Pop,” de Belin said. “I think Wayne probably had a bit of a soft spot for me because of that. “I have never seen any footage of my Pop playing but now that I play footy at a high level it was obviously in my blood through him. “When I used to go around to Nan and Pop’s there was a Balmain jersey with all the great players and there was an Australian side that he was in. “I am very proud to know that my Pop played football at the highest level, and he also served his country.”
Personally I don't get into all this militarism stuff. Australia is a military minnow and should remain so. Just keep quiet and go about our business with everyone. Go along to get along.

What's important is that JDB is really getting close to being back to his best. Strong runs, offloads before the line, deep into the line and in tackles. Strong runs through the middle and defence that has never wavered. Against Penrith he played over 70min and excelled. IMO the coach should be looking to get about 65min out of him in each game.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I don't get into all this militarism stuff. Australia is a military minnow and should remain so. Just keep quiet and go about our business with everyone. Go along to get along.

What's important is that JDB is really getting close to being back to his best. Strong runs, offloads before the line, deep into the line and in tackles. Strong runs through the middle and defence that has never wavered. Against Penrith he played over 70min and excelled. IMO the coach should be looking to get about 65min out of him in each game.
I like the optimism but frankly speaking, one good game doesn't mean he's back to his best.

Eric

Staff
I like the optimism but frankly speaking, one good game doesn't mean he's back to his best.
Fair comment but two things:
  • He was also excellent against Penrith and pretty good against New Zealand.
  • I said "getting close to being".... It's an ongoing process.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Too late to make a difference for the 3 years of horror but I hope they thrown the book at this pig. Can't have cops doing this kind of thing.

But the judge is deluding him or herself if he or she thinks the general public has confidence in the judicial system.

Detective involved in Jack de Belin rape case under investigation​

NSW Police have confirmed a disciplinary investigation is ongoing into the conduct of a detective involved in the sexual assault case against St George Illawarra player Jack de Belin.

St George Illawarra star lock Jack de BelinThe Wollongong detective, Shawn Adams, was strongly criticised by Judge Andrew Haesler for his conduct in the investigation but the District Court judge ultimately allowed the case to proceed to preserve public confidence in the legal system.

The Wollongong trial ended in a hung jury, and at a second trial in Sydney a jury found both de Belin and co-accused Callan Sinclair not guilty of one count of sexual assault against the 19-year-old woman. The jury could not reach a verdict on the remaining four charges, leading the Director of Public Prosecutions to not proceed with a third trial.

A spokeswoman said of a NSW Police Professional Standards Command enquiry into the conduct of Detective Senior Constable Shawn Adams: “As the investigation is ongoing we are unable to provide more information.” On March 10, Detective Sergeant Ryan Anning of the PSC Investigations Unit confirmed in an email to the Sinclair family an investigation of police conduct was proceeding.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Too late to make a difference for the 3 years of horror but I hope they thrown the book at this pig. Can't have cops doing this kind of thing.

But the judge is deluding him or herself if he or she thinks the general public has confidence in the judicial system.

Detective involved in Jack de Belin rape case under investigation​

NSW Police have confirmed a disciplinary investigation is ongoing into the conduct of a detective involved in the sexual assault case against St George Illawarra player Jack de Belin.

View attachment 50The Wollongong detective, Shawn Adams, was strongly criticised by Judge Andrew Haesler for his conduct in the investigation but the District Court judge ultimately allowed the case to proceed to preserve public confidence in the legal system.

The Wollongong trial ended in a hung jury, and at a second trial in Sydney a jury found both de Belin and co-accused Callan Sinclair not guilty of one count of sexual assault against the 19-year-old woman. The jury could not reach a verdict on the remaining four charges, leading the Director of Public Prosecutions to not proceed with a third trial.

A spokeswoman said of a NSW Police Professional Standards Command enquiry into the conduct of Detective Senior Constable Shawn Adams: “As the investigation is ongoing we are unable to provide more information.” On March 10, Detective Sergeant Ryan Anning of the PSC Investigations Unit confirmed in an email to the Sinclair family an investigation of police conduct was proceeding.
Wanted to feel 'important' by 'catching' a public figure. The general public might regain some confidence in the judicial system if they throw the book at Shawn Adams.