Australia Tour of Sri Lanka 2022. Thread is now complete.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Our white ball sides are now in Sri Lanka for a multi format series starting tomorrow.

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner, Matthew Wade.

Sri Lanka T20 squad: Dasun Shanaka (c), Pathum Nissanka, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Charith Asalanka, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Nuwanidu Fernando, Lahiru Madushanka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Nuwan Thushara, Matheesha Pathirana, Ramesh Mendis, Maheesh Theekshana, Praveen Jayawickrama, Lakshan Sandakan. Standby: Jeffrey Vandersay, Niroshan Dickwella

June 7:
First T20, Colombo, 11.30pm AEST

June 8: Second T20, Colombo, 11.30pm AEST

June 11: Third T20, Kandy, 11.30pm AEST

The usual suspects for us and the likely squad for October's T20 World Cup. I see a white ball changing of the guard after next year's ODI WC.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Go
What are your views about this series @Morgan
Good question. To be honest I hadn't thought about it. Usually only think about cricket in summer. But when I saw your message I was struck by the same thing you mentioned. The usual suspects. The team looks a little like the Dragons forward pack. From this summer, I think they had better start bringing in some young players.
I don't know the age but the following have been around a long time: Aaron Finch (c), Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Matthew Wade.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia XI for first T20I: Aaron Finch (c), David Warner, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade (wk), Ashton Agar, Mitchell Starc, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazlewood.

Probably our most successful death bowler Kane Richardson is back after looking dead in the water last year. Needs a big series as heir apparent Nathan Ellis is nipping at his heels.
Finch is ancient, isn't he? Smith will survive, won't he?

I misled you. I meant to type Marsh. Finch is ancient.. but he has been a successful white ball skipper for many years. Yes Smith will survive as he plays a vital role in this format, the anchor. He has been picked in the first match. What kit will our boys wear tonite the stylish, black with gold and green bars or the garish all yellow one.

Eric

Staff
Australia XI for first T20I: Aaron Finch (c), David Warner, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade (wk), Ashton Agar, Mitchell Starc, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazlewood.

Probably our most successful death bowler Kane Richardson is back after looking dead in the water last year. Needs a big series as heir apparent Nathan Ellis is nipping at his heels.

I misled you. I meant to type Marsh. Finch is ancient.. but he has been a successful white ball skipper for many years. Yes Smith will survive as he plays a vital role in this format, the anchor. He has been picked in the first match. What kit will our boys wear tonite the stylish, black with gold and green bars or the garish all yellow one.
Are there any good batters coming up? I know last year they were talking a lot about Pucovski but things seem to have gone quiet on that front.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Are there any good batters coming up? I know last year they were talking a lot about Pucovski but things seem to have gone quiet on that front.
Pucovski has been given the go ahead to resume his career as the experts said his reported 11 head problems were not all concussions but a form of either post-traumatic migraine or a stress-related response.

Watch out for these names, Cameron Green, Henry Hunt, Aaron Hardie, Josh Philippe, Tim Ward. Imo they will all play for Australia in at least one format.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Guys there is a concurrent Aussie A tour. Hoping this will be televised or at least locally live streamed.

Jun 08, Wed
Sri Lanka A vs Australia A, 1st unofficial ODI
Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo
2:30 PM AEST.

Jun 10, Fri
Sri Lanka A vs Australia A, 2nd unofficial ODI
Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo
2:30 PM AEST

Jun 14, Tue - Jun 17, Fri
Sri Lanka A vs Australia A, 1st unofficial Test
Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium, Hambantota
2:00 PM AEST

Jun 21, Tue - Jun 24, Fri
Sri Lanka A vs Australia A, 2nd unofficial Test
Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium, Hambantota
2:00 PM AEST

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I can see I'm going to have to convert you blokes into a cricket nuffie like me.

You know of Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson. Well my very first Test match was watching them terrorise the Poms at the SCG back in '74/5.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well, Sri Lanka were cruising. Around 100/1 after 10 overs. After 15 overs it was 110/7. Now Warner is cruising. Going to be an easy win so I think I'm going to call it a night.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A Josh Hazlewood blitz powers Aussies to big win in first T20.
The shell shocked Lankans had no answer to the kid from Tamworth's 4-16, incredible figures for this format and the performance that broke the hearts of the passionate local crowd, looking for a win to lift their spirits after weeks of unrest in the island nation.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A Josh Hazlewood blitz powers Aussies to big win in first T20.
The shell shocked Lankans had no answer to the kid from Tamworth's 4-16, incredible figures for this format and the performance that broke the hearts of the passionate local crowd, looking for a win to lift their spirits after weeks of unrest in the island nation.
Halfway through the Sri Lanka innings it was shaping up as a spectacular run chase to come. Then it went pear-shaped in spectacular fashion!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Wins overnite in Sri Lanka by our T20 and A sides.

Kane Richardson showed he is far from a T20 spent force with a four wicket haul. In fact it was the Richardson show with Jhye snaring three poles too. Mathew Wade top scored for the Aussies in an overall moderate batting display.

https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2970/53763/sri-lanka-men-vs-australia-men-sri-lanka-v-australia-t20is-men/scorecard

Cameron Green once again showed his white ball credentials driving home the A boys with a brilliant ton while the comeback king Matt Renshaw made a claim for promotion with his vital middle order batting.
https://live.cricket.com.au/match/3009/54191/sri-lanka-a-men-vs-australia-a-men-australia-a-tour-of-sri-lanka-mens/scorecard.