Australia Tour of Sri Lanka 2022. Thread is now complete.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wins overnite in Sri Lanka by our T20 and A sides.

Kane Richardson showed he is far from a T20 spent force with a four wicket haul. In fact it was the Richardson show with Jhye snaring three poles too. Mathew Wade top scored for the Aussies in an overall moderate batting display.

https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2970/53763/sri-lanka-men-vs-australia-men-sri-lanka-v-australia-t20is-men/scorecard

Cameron Green once again showed his white ball credentials driving home the A boys with a brilliant ton while the comeback king Matt Renshaw made a claim for promotion with his vital middle order batting.
https://live.cricket.com.au/match/3009/54191/sri-lanka-a-men-vs-australia-a-men-australia-a-tour-of-sri-lanka-mens/scorecard.
I didn't realise another game was on last night. I see Sri Lanka once again set a lackluster target.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Wins overnite in Sri Lanka by our T20 and A sides.

Kane Richardson showed he is far from a T20 spent force with a four wicket haul. In fact it was the Richardson show with Jhye snaring three poles too. Mathew Wade top scored for the Aussies in an overall moderate batting display.

https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2970/53763/sri-lanka-men-vs-australia-men-sri-lanka-v-australia-t20is-men/scorecard

Cameron Green once again showed his white ball credentials driving home the A boys with a brilliant ton while the comeback king Matt Renshaw made a claim for promotion with his vital middle order batting.
https://live.cricket.com.au/match/3009/54191/sri-lanka-a-men-vs-australia-a-men-australia-a-tour-of-sri-lanka-mens/scorecard.
I didn't realise another game was on last night. I see Sri Lanka once again set a lackluster target.
A good distraction after a disappointing loss.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Our 'A's pipped at the post by the Lankans. Head with a typical Head ton will now play in the first four day match rather than an ODI for the top side. Head's forte is clearly white ball. Odd logic from the CA selector on tour.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Our As pipped at the post by the Lankans. Head with a typical Head ton will now play in the first four day match rather than an ODI for the top side. Head's forte is clearly white ball. Odd logic from the CA selector on tour.
I wonder if the St George Illawarra selection committee is mentoring the cricket selectors? A selection policy that reinforces players weaknesses while denying them their strengths.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Our white ball sides are now in Sri Lanka for a multi format series starting tomorrow.

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner, Matthew Wade.

Sri Lanka T20 squad: Dasun Shanaka (c), Pathum Nissanka, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Charith Asalanka, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Nuwanidu Fernando, Lahiru Madushanka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Nuwan Thushara, Matheesha Pathirana, Ramesh Mendis, Maheesh Theekshana, Praveen Jayawickrama, Lakshan Sandakan. Standby: Jeffrey Vandersay, Niroshan Dickwella

June 7: First T20, Colombo, 11.30pm AEST

June 8: Second T20, Colombo, 11.30pm AEST

June 11: Third T20, Kandy, 11.30pm AEST

The usual suspects for us and the likely squad for October's T20 World Cup. I see a white ball changing of the guard after next year's ODI WC.
The way the NRL season is going, this may turn out to be the most popular thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Well guys the first of the red ball matches for this tour is on today with an unofficial Test between Aussie A and Sri Lanka A starting at 2 pm AEST. Interesting to see the selectors X1 now ranks have been depleted with the losses of Cameron Green and Scott Boland. I expect the Lankans will be breathing easier given our mostly spin attack.

A probable X1.
Henry Hunt (c)
Marcus Harris
Matt Renshaw
Josh Philippe
Travis Head
Aaron Hardie
Josh Inglis (w/k)
Steketee/McAndrew
Matt Kuhnemann
Tanveer Sangha
Murphy/McAndrew

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well guys the first of the red ball matches for this tour is on today with an unofficial Test between Aussie A and Sri Lanka A starting at 2 pm AEST. Interesting to see the selectors X1 now ranks have been depleted with the losses of Cameron Green and Scott Boland. I expect the Lankans will be breathing easier given our mostly spin attack.

A probable X1.
Henry Hunt (c)
Marcus Harris
Matt Renshaw
Josh Philippe
Travis Head
Aaron Hardie
Josh Inglis (w/k)
Steketee/McAndrew
Matt Kuhnemann
Tanveer Sangha
Murphy/McAndrew
To be honest, I don't really share your enthusiasm for Test Cricket. Please keep us updated. I probably won't seek out the info myself. having said that, I thought spinners were supposed to all the rage on wickets in the Subcontinent. Why would Sri Lanka be breathing easier?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Breathing easy because cricketers in the sub continent grow up on spinning pitches so they eat western spinners for breakfast. We have only picked two spinners not three as it turned out, with an extra pacer chosen.
Are there any part-time spinners in the team? Of that team I only know:
  • Travis Head
  • Matt Renshaw
  • Marcus Harris
I've heard the names of a few others but that's about it.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
What's the difference between off-spinners and leg-spinners? Is it just that they spin the ball in the opposite direction?
I hoped RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat would take that one but as he let it go through to the keeper, let me try.

Spin it the other way and hsve more tricks up their sleeves than leg spinners.

Don't quote me on that. I might be wrong.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I hoped RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat would take that one but as he let it go through to the keeper, let me try.

Spin it the other way and hsve more tricks up their sleeves than leg spinners.

Don't quote me on that. I might be wrong.
Remiss of me not to reply earlier. Pleased there is some interest now so I will reply sooner from now on.

Actually Morgan Morgan it is the leg spinners that have all the tricks. Off sinners only spin it the one way.. into the stumps. whereas leg spinners spin it both ways.. that is, away from the stumps and into the stumps.
The latter delivery is called a wrong one or wrong'n as it spins in the opposite direction to the stock leg spinner. You have heard of Shane Warne no doubt.. he was the master of leg spin.. also bowled variations such as the flipper and toppie.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Remiss of me that I did not reply earlier. Pleased there is some interest now so I will reply sooner from now on.

Actually Morgan Morgan it is the leg spinners that havbe all the tricks. Off sinners only spin it the one way.. into the stumps. whereas leg spinners spin it both ways.. that is, away from the stumps and into the stumps.
The latter delivery is called a wrong one or wrong'n as it spins in the opposite direction to the stock leg spinner. You have heard of Shane Warne no doubt.. he was the master of leg spin.. also bowled variations such as the flipper and toppie.
That's interesting. No wonder they are in such demand. I know you aren't addressing me but of course I've heard of Shane Warne. Hasn't everyone?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Remiss of me that I did not reply earlier. Pleased there is some interest now so I will reply sooner from now on.

Actually Morgan Morgan it is the leg spinners that havbe all the tricks. Off sinners only spin it the one way.. into the stumps. whereas leg spinners spin it both ways.. that is, away from the stumps and into the stumps.
Poor Shane Warne trusted the science with the vaccines.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about spinning both ways and thought the wrong n was when they put top spin on the ball so it skids through faster.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about spinning both ways and thought the wrong n was when they put top spin on the ball so it skids through faster.
That is the flipper. Not top spin but back spin. Warne was a master at that delivery. Top spinner does not spin and bounces more. Warne almost destroyed careers with his confusing and clever variations.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That is the flipper. Not top spin but back spin. Warne was a master at that delivery. Top spinner does not spin and bounces more. Warne almost destroyed careers with his confusing and clever variations.
I actually started following cricket in the 'Golden Age' of Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden, Simmons, McGrath, Warne.