Australia Tour of Sri Lanka 2022. Thread is now complete.

Eric

Staff
I actually started following cricket in the 'Golden Age' of Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden, Simmons, McGrath, Warne.
What great players. Any wonder we won 16 Tests on the trot and were almost unbeatable too in white ball cricket.
Poor South Africa. I read that for most of that period, South Africa were actually a really good team and if it weren't for that Australian team being historically good, it would have been South Africa who dominated.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I like it in the summer. Not into watching test cricket but follow the scores. Like watching 50 over and 20-20 games.
I am figuring most on the forum grew up with white ball cricket whereas I grew up with Test cricket well before the ICC ever introduced white ball. Tho my first live match in 74/5 was only a year or two before the the first 50 over WC.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I am figuring most on the forum grew up with white ball cricket whereas I grew up with Test cricket well before the ICC ever introduced white ball. Tho my first live match in 74/5 was only a year or two before the the first 50 over WC.
I watched red ball cricket when I was a child. No time now.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yep. Very good team who won nothing if Australia was also involved. I don't feel sorry them. I revelled in their pain.
The Saffers had a reputation as 'chokers'. I recall in one 50 over world cup when Hershell Gibbs dropped a sitter, Steve Waugh quipped sarcastically, "well done Gibbsy.. you just dropped the world cup mate."

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The Saffers had a reputation as 'chokers'. I recall in one 50 over world cup when Hershell Gibbs dropped a sitter and Steve Waugh quipped sarcastically.."well done Gibbsy.. you just dropped the world cup mate."
Steve Waugh was an unassuming but legendary batter, excellent all rounder, especially in the one day format and an utterly ruthless captain. He was like, "why go slow and play it safe if we can win the game in 2.5 days or 25 overs?"

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a Saints supporter?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Steve Waugh was an unassuming but legendary batter, excellent all rounder, especially in the one day format and an utterly ruthless captain. He was like, "why go slow and play it safe if we can win the game in 2.5 days or 25 overs?"

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a Saints supporter?
Not sure Chris M Chris M. He was from Panania, which is more Canterbury district. Played his club cricket for Bankstown. So I expect he followed the Bulldogs.
'Tugga' was the man you wanted in the trenches with you when the enemy was charging. What mental stamina the man had.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Glenn Maxwell who I picked as a horses for courses selection has been added to the Test squad. Is he in form. Bounced back from a woeful T20 campaign to smack 144 @48 in the ODIs.. so I'd say yes. Besides he is, after Smith, the best player of spin we have in the squad.

I still cant believe Josh Philippe was also not added to the Test squad. If not why not was the on tour selector not at the A four dayers to watch Philippe dismantle the Lankan spinners. That was some of the best displays of controlled spin play I have seen in a long time.

Last edited: