Birmingham Commonwealth Games

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
For the first time since the Games started England is within 10 gold of the Aussies and within 20 medals overall. I expected this as they have superior athletes in track and field.. specially with their colored sprinters and middle distance runners. Still we maintain our lead with strong performances across others sports like athetics field events, cycling, squash and diving.
Until when is it on? A full 2 week thing like the Olympics?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I was a journalist so have always been a keen follower of sport. But no walking encyclopedia.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia used to be a strong diving nation at Comm Games level but now it is England and Canada that have eclipsed us and it is starting to hurt our medal lead. Specially the Poms who have dominated the diving program and have now cut our lead to just 12. The first time since the start that we have not finished a day leading by 20 or more. We still have pocketed the most gold, which is the true template for the best team. With only three more days we should hold on as we are favorites for the hockey and netball and have big chances in table tennis, road cycling and athletics field events.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Australia used to be a strong diving nation at Comm Games level but now it is England and Canada that have eclipsed us and it is starting to hurt our medal lead. Specially the Poms who have dominated the diving program and have now cut our lead to just 12. The first time since the start that we have not finished a day leading by 20 or more. We still have pocketed the most gold, which is the true template of the best team. With only three more games we should hold on as we are favorites for the hockey and netball and have big chances in table tennis and athletics field events.
You mean, 'with only three more days'? I thought the closing ceremony is tomorrow. Not true?

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
You mean, 'with only three more days'? I thought the closing ceremony is tomorrow. Not true?
Mate I'm pleased you read my posts.. but not too close that you find my typos. Dead set I post so much in one day alone.. bound to make the odd boo boo. :oops:
Games are supposed to finish on the 8th. Can be confusing with the time zone difference and whether the closing ceremony is same day as the last competition..

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Mate I'm pleased you read my posts.. but not too close that you find my typos. Dead set I post so much in one day alone.. bound to make the odd boo boo. :oops:
Games are supposed to finish on the 8th. Can be confusing with the time zone difference and whether the closing ceremony is same day as the last competition..
Of course I read your posts.

3 more days, got it but are there any events of the day of the closing ceremony? If not, only 2 days left really.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia will almost certainly defend her title, jumping 9 gold clear of England yesterday. In addition our men and women hockey, female cricket, female beach volleyball, netball, all playing off for gold today.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia is within sniffing distance of 1,000 Games gold medals. Currently sitting on 994 with a handful of gold chances in the remaining time. England in the 700's, Canada in the 500's. Shows the dominance of the Aussie sporting DNA.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
We Aussies are the first nation to the 1000 Games gold milestone after a penultimate day of good prospecting in the main stadium, the diving pool, the lawn bowls greens
Australia is surely a lawn bowls superpower. Do they play it anywhere else? I know in England they play that game kind of a mix between cricket and golf. Wasn't aware they played lawn bowls. In Canada I presume they all play the version on ice. Can't recall the name.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It took a team of DIAMONDS to win a bag of GOLD..1,000 pieces of it. Aussies are the first nation to the magic gold medal milestone.. an incredible feat. Pommies will need another 20 Games to equal that.This haul would be a good addition to Fort Knox.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Australia is surely a lawn bowls superpower. Do they play it anywhere else? I know in England they play that game kind of a mix between cricket and golf. Wasn't aware they played lawn bowls. In Canada I presume they all play the version on ice. Can't recall the name.
Curls. Never played but looks like fun.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It took a team of DIAMONDS to win a bag of GOLD. Aussies are the first nation to win 1,000 gold medals in Games history.. an incredible feat. Pommies eat your heart out. That haul would be a good addition to Fort Knox.
That gold only exists on paper. Poor Germans have been trying to get their gold back for over 10 years. France sent a flotilla to get theirs but left empty handed.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia has always been good at lawn bowls but it is not an Aussie sport, even an English one as it originated in ancient Egypt. It has tho been played in England since the 13th century. ...