Coach Griffin

Eric

Staff
Part III

NRL Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on St George Illawarra Dragons tough questions​

Q: How disappointed were you with the barbecue at Paul Vaughan's house, how much did that rock your season, because you were in the eight at that point and I don’t think you won another game after?

AG: No, we didn’t. We were in the top eight for 18 of the 24 weeks. So it was obviously disappointing, and everyone at the club was disappointed. The players involved and right through the entire club. But we have to use that experience now as a lesson going forward and I suppose an opportunity to build a stronger standard throughout the club. The hardest thing was not being able to win a couple of football games, but in hindsight I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and that might be a strength now that we can draw on. The fact that we went through that and it has made us hungrier.

Q: I mentioned Matt Dufty. He had a crack at you publicly, talking about the fact you wouldn’t let him play his style of attacking football. Is that the reality of it or not?

AG: Matt Dufty is entitled to what he says. There are many reasons throughout a year when you are working with players that you can get a performance out of them or you can’t. Some of that you have got to take responsibility for yourself as a coach and as a club when a player doesn’t work out. But I have no problem with Matt. He did a great job for our club. He had been a junior and played a lot of football. But the reasons for us not wanting him had nothing to do with when he had the ball in his hands. It was the other way. And he understands that, and I think anyone that watches football would understand that. But he is entitled to his own opinion.

Q: What about the options you have for fullback. Young Sloan has obviously got exceptional talent. Is he ready to be a starting No. 1 for a full NRL season?

AG: Guys like him and Cody Ramsey, who has had a few more games. But they are obviously guys we are looking long term to be in those positions, and we are working really constantly with them at the moment both on and off the field with their education in that area. They are both doing well, physically. They are growing. They are both nearly 90kg. So you just don’t know. They are young and they are inexperienced. So that is what I was getting at before. We need to build a strong side around guys like that. But it is a real key position, particularly over the last five or six years with the way the fullback position has evolved. There is a lot of strategy, and being able to read play both with and without the ball. So we are working as a coaching staff really hard on that education for them. Whether (Tyrell) Sloany or Cody (Ramsey) nail that position down, all I can say is that we will give them every chance. I think long term they will, we will just need to wait and see for this year.

Q: What about the young halves, you’ve got two rising stars in Sullivan and Amone. How do you plan out their future? Sullivan has also played some dummy half.

AG: Sully did a great job last year at nine, and Junior jumped in and took his chance the first time we gave him a go at five-eighth. He came off the bench I think about two weeks after the SG Ball grand final and sort of stayed in the side filling in at lock and centre and places like that. But as soon as we stuck him in at five-eighth he showed a bit of class so he stayed there for the rest of the year.

But Jayden is a really talented player as well. He struggled with injury for the most of last year which probably didn’t help him. He didn’t actually start playing footy until midway through the year. They are both exciting prospects for the club. And with Benny Hunt, with the captaincy on his shoulders, had one of the best seasons he’s probably had, even though we would have like him to be on the field a bit longer. I think he was only there for 14 or 15 games but between the three of those guys and Moses Mbye and Jack Bird, who can also play in the halves, we are really well stocked.

It seems Ramsey might be starting the season at fullback with Sloan remaining a development player. And I think that puts an end to the debate on whether Sullivan or Amone will play 5/8. It's going to be Amone.

It seems Jack Bird and Mbye are going to be a utility players. I'm glad JDB will be starting at lock. I think it's the right decision to go with 2 big props running had and making metres and JDB doing that and offloading both before the defence and after.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
EXPECT Matt Dufty to be fired up this season.

Already desperate to get back onto the field after being axed for the last five rounds of the season, the ousted St George Illawarra Dragon will have an even more of a point to prove after Anthony Griffin publicly criticised his defence.

While it was commonly thought it was fallout over game plans that led to Dufty’s demise at St George Illawarra Dragons, Griffin said it was deficiencies in defence that cost the fullback his St George Illawarra career.

Dufty has had plenty of time to reflect on his daily drive to Belmore given he still lives on the South Coast. 2022 is shaping as a make or break season for Dufty after the fullback took a punt on his career by signing a one-year deal.

Expect the Dolphins to show interest in Dufty, especially if they miss out on Kaylan Ponga.

Hook was being polite. Dufty was excellent within the opposition 20 metre line but poor in every other facet of a fullback's game.

Personally I wish him well. Even if he fixes the deficiencies in his game, Sloan has more upside. I presume that's the main reason why it was deemed not worth trying to fix the deficiencies. Better to spend the time, effort and money on Sloan.
I hate to keep repeating myself but Dufty would have been much better if he was playing behind a strong forward pack.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Part III

NRL Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on Dragons tough questions​

Q: How disappointed were you with the barbecue at Paul Vaughan's house? How much did that set your season back, because you were in the eight at that point and I don’t think you won another game after?

AG: No, we didn’t. We were in the top eight for 18 of the 24 weeks. So of course it was disappointing, and everyone at the club was disappointed. The players involved and right through the entire club. But we have to use that experience now as a lesson going forward and I suppose an opportunity to build a stronger standard throughout the club. The hardest thing was not being able to win a couple of football games, but in hindsight I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and that might be a strength now that we can draw on. The fact that we went through that and it has made us hungrier.

Q: I mentioned Matt Dufty. He had a crack at you publicly, talking about the fact you wouldn’t let him play his style of attacking football. Is that the reality of it or not?

AG: Matt Dufty is entitled to what he says. There are many reasons throughout a year when you are working with players that you can get a performance out of them or you can’t. Some of that you have got to take responsibility for yourself as a coach and as a club when a player doesn’t work out. But I have no problem with Matt. He did a great job for our club. He had been a junior and played a lot of football. But the reasons for us not wanting him had nothing to do with when he had the ball in his hands. It was the other way. And he understands that, and I think anyone that watches football would understand that. But he is entitled to his own opinion.

Q: What about the options you have for fullback. Young Sloan has obviously got exceptional talent. Is he ready to be a starting No. 1 for a full NRL season?

AG: Guys like him and Cody Ramsey, who has had a few more games. But they are obviously guys we are looking long term to be in those positions, and we are working really constantly with them at the moment both on and off the field with their education in that area. They are both doing well, physically. They are growing. They are both nearly 90kg. So you just don’t know. They are young and they are inexperienced. So that is what I was getting at before. We need to build a strong side around guys like that. But it is a real key position, particularly over the last five or six years with the way the fullback position has evolved. There is a lot of strategy, and being able to read play both with and without the ball. So we are working as a coaching staff really hard on that education for them. Whether (Tyrell) Sloany or Cody (Ramsey) nail that position down, all I can say is that we will give them every chance. I think long term they will, we will just need to wait and see for this year.

Q: What about the young halves, you’ve got two rising stars in Sullivan and Amone. How do you plan out their future? Sullivan has also played some dummy half.

AG: Sully did a great job last year at nine, and Junior jumped in and took his chance the first time we gave him a go at five-eighth. He came off the bench I think about two weeks after the SG Ball grand final and sort of stayed in the side filling in at lock and centre and places like that. But as soon as we stuck him in at five-eighth he showed a bit of class so he stayed there for the rest of the year.

But Jayden is a really talented player as well. He struggled with injury for the most of last year which probably didn’t help him. He didn’t actually start playing footy until midway through the year. They are both exciting prospects for the club. And with Benny Hunt, with the captaincy on his shoulders, had one of the best seasons he’s probably had, even though we would have like him to be on the field a bit longer. I think he was only there for 14 or 15 games but between the three of those guys and Moses Mbye and Jack Bird, who can also play in the halves, we are really well stocked.

It seems Ramsey might be starting the season at fullback with Sloan remaining a development player. And I think that puts an end to the debate on whether Sullivan or Amone will play 5/8. It's going to be Amone.

It seems Jack Bird and Mbye are going to be a utility players. I'm glad JDB will be starting at lock. I think it's the right decision to go with 2 big props running had and making metres and JDB doing that and offloading both before the defence and after.
I don't think, based on that interview, he is ruling anything out re Bird and Amone. All the contentious positions will be determined in the trials.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Part III

NRL Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on St George Illawarra Dragons tough questions​

Q: How upset were you with the barbecue at Paul Vaughan's house, how much did that rock your season, because you were in the eight at that point and I don’t think you won another game after?

AG: No, we didn’t. We were in the top eight for 18 of the 24 weeks. So it was obviously disappointing, and everyone at the club was disappointed. The players involved and right through the entire club. But we have to use that experience now as a lesson going forward and I suppose an opportunity to build a stronger standard throughout the club. The hardest thing was not being able to win a couple of football games, but in hindsight I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and that might be a strength now that we can draw on. The fact that we went through that and it has made us hungrier.

AG: Matt Dufty is allowed say to what he says. There are many reasons throughout a year when you are working with players that you can get a performance out of them or you can’t. Some of that you have got to take responsibility for yourself as a coach and as a club when a player doesn’t work out. But I have no problem with Matt. He did a great job for our club. He had been a junior and played a lot of football. But the reasons for us not wanting him had nothing to do with when he had the ball in his hands. It was the other way. And he understands that, and I think anyone that watches football would understand that. But he is entitled to his own opinion.

AG: Guys like him and Ramsey, who has had more games in the NRL. But they're obviously guys we are looking long term to be in those positions, and we are working really constantly with them at the moment both on and off the field with their education in that area. They are both doing well, physically. They are growing. They are both nearly 90kg. So you just don’t know. They are young and they are inexperienced. So that is what I was getting at before. We need to build a strong side around guys like that. But it is a real key position, particularly over the last five or six years with the way the fullback position has evolved. There is a lot of strategy, and being able to read play both with and without the ball. So we are working as a coaching staff really hard on that education for them. Whether (Tyrell) Sloany or Cody (Ramsey) nail that position down, all I can say is that we will give them every chance. I think long term they will, we will just need to wait and see for this year.

Seems Ramsey might be starting the season at fullback with Sloan remaining a development player. And I think that puts an end to the debate on whether Sullivan or Amone will play 5/8. It's going to be Amone.

He is keeping his cards close to his chest but hopefully he has settled on JDB starting at lock. The way he keeps talking up Ramsey is interesting. As someone pointed out on another thread, Sloan can't start the year at fullback if he is still on the development deal he is on now.

I always thought Ramsey wasn't given enough of a chance at fullback. I very much doubt he will be better than Sloan but he deserves a chance.

Eric

Staff

Part IV

NRL 2022 Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on St George Illawarra Dragons tough questions​

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin responds to criticism of his roster rebuild and the recruitment of a stack of ageing stars.

Q: Ben Hunt has showed a tremendous amount of character. Not many players have copped it more in recent times, and the way he has fought back and won a lot of respect is a credit to him.

AG: I mean, you just have to see what he did in the third State of Origin game. They threw him in at hooker and he played 80 minutes and got man of the match. He has had some big obstacles over his career, which we all have. But it just gives you an insight into the mental toughness of the guy. And, also, he is just a really good person. You give him the captaincy and even though it might have been not what he was thinking of when he started the year – everyone thought Cam McInnes was going to be our captain but then he was injured – so you gave it to Ben Hunt, he grabbed it and did a great job, to the point where now he is really entrenched in that role.

And I think having that extra responsibility has brought out the best in him. It is probably one of the reasons he has played so well, because he takes it really seriously, the fact he is a leader of our club.

Q: You mentioned briefly Zac Lomax. He is a young guy with enormous talent and you have brought Moses Suli to the club. They are two strike centres and two players of the future.

AG: Well, as I said Zac is 22 and started playing first grade when he was 18 or 19 and still has a long way to go in his education and his maturity. But he will be at the club long term and he is going to be a great centre, I think, if he continues to develop. And Moses didn’t get much of a go at Manly last year. He was injured for a while but he has got enormous potential. Again, he is another one of those old guys we signed at 23 (laughing). But when I spoke to him he is very driven about what he wants to do as well. I think he only had one go at the end of last year against Canberra and everyone saw that night the potential that he has got.

Q: I don’t think potential has ever been the issue, has it. It has been his attitude in some respects, but he was very young in fairness.

AG: Yeah. As I say, when I spoke to him he didn’t shy away from that either. He admitted that he’s contributed to a few of his tougher times over his career. So at 23 he has a long time to mature, but he is 107/108 kilo strike centre, so we are looking forward to working hard with him to get him to his potential.

Q: What about yourself. You had a couple of years out and now you’ve had one back. Regretting it?

AG: I love it. Obviously last year was a tough year the way we finished. But up until round 16 or 17, whenever that was, I thought we were building really well to be sitting seventh I think at the time. As a club everything is progressing really well and the future looks really good. From my point of view, I just love going to work every day. Well, I don’t call it work, but going to practice every day, and working on something that when we get it right it is going to be really special.

So Suli is going to start in the centres. I just hope he gives the Feagai's a chance. It may also point to Griffin planning to use Hunt as hooker in his last year (next year). I wonder if Lomax is going to be captain next season if Hunt moves on to Redcliff.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Part IV

NRL 2022 Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on St George Illawarra Dragons tough questions​

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin responds to criticism of his roster rebuild and the recruitment of a stack of ageing stars.

Q: Ben Hunt has showed tons of character. Not many players have copped it more in recent times, and the way he has fought back and won a lot of respect is a credit to him.

AG: I mean, you just have to see what he did in the third State of Origin game. They threw him in at hooker and he played 80 minutes and got man of the match. He has had some big obstacles over his career, which we all have. But it just gives you an insight into the mental toughness of the guy. And, also, he is just a really good person. You give him the captaincy and even though it might have been not what he was thinking of when he started the year – everyone thought Cam McInnes was going to be our captain but then he was injured – so you gave it to Ben Hunt, he grabbed it and did a great job, to the point where now he is really entrenched in that role.

And I think having that extra responsibility has brought out the best in him. It is probably one of the reasons he has played so well, because he takes it really seriously, the fact he is a leader of our club.

Q: You mentioned briefly Zac Lomax. He is a young guy with enormous talent and you have brought Moses Suli to the club. They are two strike centres and two players of the future.

AG: Well, as I said Zac is 22 and started playing first grade when he was 18 or 19 and still has a long way to go in his education and his maturity. But he will be at the club long term and he is going to be a great centre, I think, if he continues to develop. And Moses didn’t get much of a go at Manly last year. He was injured for a while but he has got enormous potential. Again, he is another one of those old guys we signed at 23 (laughing). But when I spoke to him he is very driven about what he wants to do as well. I think he only had one go at the end of last year against Canberra and everyone saw that night the potential that he has got.

Q: I don’t think potential has ever been the issue, has it. It has been his attitude in some respects, but he was very young in fairness.

AG: Yeah. As I say, when I spoke to him he didn’t shy away from that either. He admitted that he’s contributed to a few of his tougher times over his career. So at 23 he has a long time to mature, but he is 107/108 kilo strike centre, so we are looking forward to working hard with him to get him to his potential.

Q: What about yourself. You had a couple of years out and now you’ve had one back. Regretting it?

AG: I love it. Obviously last year was a tough year the way we finished. But up until round 16 or 17, whenever that was, I thought we were building really well to be sitting seventh I think at the time. As a club everything is progressing really well and the future looks really good. From my point of view, I just love going to work every day. Well, I don’t call it work, but going to practice every day, and working on something that when we get it right it is going to be really special.

So Suli is going to start in the centres. I just hope he gives the Feagai's a chance. It may also point to Griffin planning to use Hunt as hooker in his last year (next year). I wonder if Lomax is going to be captain next season if Hunt moves on to Redcliff.
Zac Lomax is probably a good choice for captain in 2 years. If Jack Bird stays and makes a permanent transition to a starting forward, he might come into strong consideration. I think he won't stay. If he were going to stay, he would have already extended. Zac will probably be the senior player after Hunt, McCullough, JDB and Sims are gone and if Bird doesn't stay.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Part IV

NRL 2022 Coaching clipboard sessions: Anthony Griffin on tough questions for St George Illawarra Dragons​

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin responds to criticism of his roster rebuild and the recruitment of a stack of ageing stars.

Q: Ben Hunt has showed a tremendous amount of character. Not many players have copped it more in recent times, and the way he has fought back and won a lot of respect is a credit to him.

AG: Well, as I said Zac is 22 and started playing first grade when he was 18 or 19 and still has a long way to go in his education and his maturity. But he will be at the club long term and he is going to be a great centre, I think, if he continues to develop. And Moses didn’t get much of a go at Manly last year. He was injured for a while but he has got enormous potential. Again, he is another one of those old players we signed at 23 (laughing). When I spoke to him he is very enthusiastic about what he wants to do as well. I think he only had one go at the end of last year against Canberra and everyone saw that night the potential that he has got.

AG: I love it. Obviously last year was a difficult year the way we finished. But up until round 16 or 17, whenever that was, I thought we were building really well to be sitting seventh I think at the time. As a club everything is progressing really well and the future looks really good. From my point of view, I just love going to work every day. Well, I don’t call it work, but going to practice every day, and working on something that when we get it right it is going to be really special.

So he has a high opinion of Suli. We'll soon see whether or not it's justified. From what I have seen of him play, it isn't justified. I guess if someone puts a rocket up him on a regular basis so he gets involved more, he might be good.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Part IV

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin responds to criticism of his roster rebuild and the recruitment of a stack of ageing stars.

Regarding Suli, Hook isn't going to second guess his own signing before he plays. I think it's a good insurance policy in case the Feagai's don't cut it.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Kevin Walters out of excuses after $2m blitz; Arthur on clock as reality sinks in: NRL Coaches Pressure Gauge​

10. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS – Anthony Griffin

St George Illawarra Dragons are currently in a rebuilding phase, with a potentially very young spine and guns coming through the ranks. Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone will be hoping to stamp their mark on the NRL.

There is always pressure on the great Red V club to perform, but they may have the lowest expectations they have had for a while in 2022. Last season was marred by off-season controversy and now Ben Hunt and his side can move forward and attempt to make the fans proud.

After some solid recruiting Dragons fans and Griffin alike will be hoping to improve on last season’s 11th place finish – welcoming Moses Suli, Aaron Woods, Moses Mbye, Jaydn Su’A, George Burgess and Francis Molo.

The normal pressure on St George to perform has somewhat subsided as fans just want to see the side play with heart and a level of consistency that has been missing the past two seasons. But that doesn’t mean the club accepts any bad years and the club with rich history and a strong supporter base will be hoping for a successful year.

More media people writing us off. Pressure hasn't subsided at all. From my experience during everyday interactions, St George supporters expect a very large improvement this season.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Its refreshing to read that he has targeted the engine room in recruitment all in the name of allowing our young backs to mature and not be deflated playing behind a pack that was doing the MJ Moonwalk the last few seasons. Sounds like a smart coach to me time will tell

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Its refreshing to read that he has targeted the engine room in recruitment all in the name of allowing our young backs to mature and not be deflated playing behind a pack that was doing the MJ Moonwalk the last few seasons. Sounds like a smart coach to me time will tell
Obviously a problem Hook as seen as being to priority to fix.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Kevin Walters out of excuses after $2m blitz; Arthur on clock as reality sinks in: NRL Coaches Pressure Gauge​

10. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS – Anthony Griffin

St George Illawarra Dragons are currently in a rebuilding phase, with a potentially very young spine and guns coming through the ranks. Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone will be hoping to stamp their mark on the NRL.

There is always pressure on the great Red V club to perform, but they may have the lowest expectations they have had for a while in 2022. Last season was marred by off-season controversy and now Ben Hunt and his side can move forward and attempt to make the fans proud.

After some solid recruiting Dragons fans and Griffin alike will be hoping to improve on last season’s 11th place finish – welcoming Moses Suli, Aaron Woods, Moses Mbye, Jaydn Su’A, George Burgess and Francis Molo.

The normal pressure on St George to perform has somewhat subsided as fans just want to see the side play with heart and a level of consistency that has been missing the past two seasons. But that doesn’t mean the club accepts any bad years and the club with rich history and a strong supporter base will be hoping for a successful year.

More media people writing us off. Pressure hasn't subsided at all. From my experience during everyday interactions, St George supporters expect a very large improvement this season.
The big red V going into a season as underdogs won't even make the 8 they say we'll I've put my money where my mouth is and plonked $50 hard earned @ $5 to make the top 8. Its amazing how a team gels when there are no expectations and everyone is telling you your wooden spoon material. History shows we don't get the dreaded spoon, 3 times in our glorious history the last one in 1938 some 83 yrs ago seriously and it won't happen this year under this particular coach

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The big red V going into a season as underdogs won't even make the 8 they say we'll I've put my money where my mouth is and plonked $50 hard earned @ $5 to make the top 8. Its amazing how a team gels when there are no expectations and everyone is telling you your wooden spoon material. History shows we don't get the dreaded spoon, 3 times in our glorious history the last one in 1938 some 83 yrs ago seriously and it won't happen this year under this particular coach
Unless there is an injury crisis, even through my biased view, I can't see any possibility of the spoon.

Eric

Staff
I don't gamble as a rule but if I did, I'd also take that bet.

Eric

Staff
Unless there is an injury crisis, even through my biased view, I can't see any possibility of the spoon.
The coach hasn't won a premiership but he has a proven record of success in making the finals, last year excepted, there are always exceptions, and building clubs from the bottom up. I also can't see any possibility of the spoon.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The coach hasn't won a premiership but he has a proven record of success in making the finals, last year excepted, there are always exceptions, and building clubs from the bottom up. I also can't see any possibility of the spoon.
He should have the junior base to build our club from the bottom up as well. Similar size junior catchment to Penriff when counting the St George juniors.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
He should have the junior base to build our club from the bottom up as well. Similar size junior catchment to Penriff when counting the St George juniors.
He not only 'should' but does. But it takes longer than 2 years. The players coming through now (Amone and etc) have been earmarked for the NRL for a long time. The players entering the NRL enmasse in another 3~5 years will be largely Hook's doing.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
He not only 'should' but does. But it takes longer than 2 years. The players coming through now (Amone and etc) have been earmarked for the NRL for a long time. The players entering the NRL enmasse in another 3~5 years will be largely Hook's doing.
If he is still around the club in 3~5 years, it will mean he has been successful. After the last 2 coaches, surely the front office won't accept prolonged mediocrity.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I've heard it said many times Griffin is a large part of the reason for the success Penrith is having now. We have the financial resources, supporter base and junior catchment to be an NRL superpower. Or is that just wishful thinking?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've heard it said many times Griffin is a large part of the reason for the success Penrith is having now. We have the financial resources, supporter base and junior catchment to be an NRL superpower. Or is that just wishful thinking?
Not just wishful thinking but dependent on how much the WIN Group is willing to spend. Politis is willing to spend any amount on the Rorters and has less than WIN so......... not just wishful thinking.