Coach Griffin

Eric

Staff
There was also the issue of Hunt taking, and botching the short kick off and him taking and making by a few cms the short drop out just after that.
I'm on the fence on this personally. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sure but planning for the future doesn't mean abject failure in the present. I support your opinion (keeping him around for the remainder of this year at least) but just don't think he has that long unless things turn around pretty quickly.
In all the talk about "building for the future", this is a fact that is often overlooked.
Dont forget he inherited a forwards pack that would have been hard up beating the women's team so money had to be spent frugally to get some experience and talent into the squad as I said in another post you can have the Australian backline in your team but if your forwards are doing the M.J. moonwalk it won't really matter
But this is also true.

So I think it's fair to expect improvement in the near-term but don't expect miracles. This is a top 8 team at very best and catch a lot of breaks. Top 4 or be a serious premiership contender is out of the question this year.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
In all the talk about "building for the future", this is a fact that is often overlooked.

But this is also true.

So I think it's fair to expect improvement in the near-term but don't expect miracles. This is a top 8 team at very best and catch a lot of breaks. Top 4 or be a serious premiership contender is out of the question this year.
Define, 'catch a lot of breaks'.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Define, 'catch a lot of breaks'.
Sure.
  • This weekend the Knights are in an injury crisis.
  • Dragons having few injuries to key players would be another break.
  • Playing teams severely weakened during the SOO period would be another break.
  • Suspension among opposition key players when they play the Dragons would be another.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Sure.
  • This weekend the Knights are in an injury crisis.
  • Dragons having few injuries to key players would be another break.
  • Playing teams severely weakened during the SOO period would be another break.
  • Suspension among opposition key players when they play the Dragons would be another.
Those would be some nice breaks.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

But this is also true.

I believe that we can still make the 8 as long as we find confidence and consistency within the next 6 rounds barring injuries and suspension's

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I hope you're right but I think you're being overly optimistic.
This squad is a top 8 squad they just need a win or 2 to get the ball rolling and for the contract negotiations to be finalised to remove any distraction and team disunity

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I believe that we can still make the 8 as long as we find confidence and consistency within the next 6 rounds barring injuries and suspension's
It's still possible. That's a fact. But how probable do you think it is? I'd put it at 10%.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's still possible. That's a fact. But how probable do you think it is? I'd put it at 10%.
My view depends upon the distractions being removed the team uniting and a few decent results to lift morale and confidence based upon the fact also that although we are 15th at the moment in actual fact 2 wins in a row would put us in the top 8

Eric

Staff
My view depends upon the distractions being removed the team uniting and a few decent results to lift morale and confidence based upon the fact also that although we are 15th at the moment in actual fact 2 wins in a row would put us in the top 8
But if we lose to a severely weakened Newcastle this weekend, I think it's time to start building for next year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If you mean the distractions regarding Sims and Bird, surely that has been settled. Sims is going to Melbourne and Bird is going somewhere else I guess he has lined up or he wouldn't have disregarded the deadline to re-sign.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
But if we lose to a severely weakened Newcastle this weekend, I think it's time to start building for next year.
I would be surprised if we lose this week. I will be at the Anzac Day clash against the roosters. I would expect with the squad of 30 we have that if we obtain some consistency, contract negotiations will be over, distractions gone, a full strength squad is available and the team starts playing for each other and morale lifts I would suggest that we will be sitting on 12 or 14 points based on our draw by the end of round 14. Time will tell if I am a old broken down fool or not.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It will officially be panic stations but is the Newcastle "injury crisis" overblown? They still have Ponga and Frizell and Clune haven't been ruled it. They still Best and both Saifiti's. The only established, big name player they are missing is Klemmar.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If you mean the distractions regarding Sims and Bird, surely that has been settled. Sims is going to Melbourne and Bird is going somewhere else I guess he has lined up or he wouldn't have disregarded the deadline to re-sign.
My understanding was that both are still in limbo no ongoing contracts signed yet for either, in fact Bird has until Friday to accept the offer or not. Both are senior players and based on my own experiences I can tell you it's causes issues within the group whether intentionally or not it has to be put to bed 1 way or another.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It will officially be panic stations but is the Newcastle "injury crisis" overblown? They still have Ponga and Frizell and Clune haven't been ruled it. They still Best and both Saifiti's. The only established, big name player they are missing is Klemmar.
As a coach and a player you want to be facing the best players the opposition have, the players and coach will ensure that any story indicating an easy game will not affect the game plan. It's a must win game for our season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
As a coach and a player you want to be facing the best players the opposition have, the players and coach will ensure that any story indicating an easy game will not affect the game plan. It's a must win game for our season.
Yep, I'm sure that's what they all say and no doubt it's true but in a must win game, I'd prefer Saints were facing Newcastle without Ponga than with.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If he starts Mbye fullback and Bird 5/8 again, I'm getting a ride on the 'hook Hook' bandwagon.

Sorry to say it but all out of patience. As Phil Rothfield said, Mbye couldn't get a start with Wests Tigers but for Hook, he's one of the first picked.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep, I'm sure that's what they all say and no doubt it's true but in a must win game, I'd prefer Saints were facing Newcastle without Ponga than with.
Ponga is like every other single highly talented match winner if his pack isnt going forward then he looks human and this hopefully will be the case this weekend. I believe because of the contract negotiations that his form has slipped and its showing both on and off the field, hope it continues against us

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If he starts Mbye fullback and Bird 5/8 again, I'm getting a ride on the 'hook Hook' bandwagon.

Sorry to say it but all out of patience. As Phil Rothfield said, Mbye couldn't get a start with Wests Tigers but for Hook, he's one of the first picked.
Any coach worth his salt wont buckle to media pressure. I bet he starts both hopefully not to our detriment