Coach Griffin

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What in your opinion might his plan be? I mean, the plan is to set the club up for sustained success by strengthening the junior pathways but how long do you think it will or should take?
Griffin has come through the Storm coaching ranks then Broncos when they were feared so that's pretty impressive grounding. He then went to Penrith and was hailed for recognising and shaping the juniors elevating them to 1st grade when right to do so. They made finals football in both years before his spat with Gould. This type of planning usually takes 3 to 5 yrs and don't forget the mess we were in when he arrived

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
What in your opinion might his plan be? I mean, the plan is to set the club up for sustained success by strengthening the junior pathways but how long do you think it will or should take?
Griffin has come through the Storm coaching ranks then Broncos when they were feared so that's pretty impressive grounding. He then went to Penrith and was hailed for recognising and shaping the juniors elevating them to 1st grade when right to do so. They made finals football in both years before his spat with Gould. This type of planning usually takes 3 to 5 yrs and don't forget the mess we were in when he arrived
The mess when he arrived. Amen to that. It may be a cliche but it seems the lunatics really were in change of the asylum.
The way I see the problems are:
  1. McCullough is just so slow.
  2. Mbye is not a fullback. Don't know why he was signed but need to turn him into an 80min hooker at least until round 10.
  3. Bird isn't a 5/8. He isn't in the starting pack either.
  4. The last few games opposition forwards have been rolling up field against us too easily.
I think #4 is partly due to #1 and #3. Not sure if #2 would help. Fixing #1~3 would also help the attack. Going forward I think:
  • Bring some new forwards in. Kerr is gone for starters. Lawrie and/or Jackson Ford as well.
  • Pick Amone and Sloan at 5/8 and fullback.
  • The backline stocks look set for a few years at least but need to bring some forwards through the ranks beginning in round 10.
That's all I can think of for now.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The mess when he arrived. Amen to that. It may be a cliche but it seems the lunatics really were in change of the asylum.
  2. Mbye is not a fullback. Don't know why he was signed but need to turn him into an 80min hooker at least until round 10.
  4. The last few games opposition forwards have been rolling up field against us too easily.
I think #4 is partly due to #1 and #3. Not sure if #2 would help. Fixing #1~3 would also help the attack. Going forward I think:
  • Bring some new forwards in. Kerr is gone for starters. Lawrie and/or Jackson Ford as well.
  • The backline stocks look set for a few years at least but need to bring some forwards through the ranks beginning in round 10.
What's going to happen in round 10?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I disagree. Planning for the future is never easy there's always a twist here and a turn there. The issue is if you have planned for these twists and turns by having a number of contingency plans and even if you have contingencies sometimes events happen that are beyond your control. Look in my opinion anyone that can last in this business for over 20 yrs, 10 yrs as a head coach must be doing something right. Have faith.
Sure but planning for the future doesn't mean abject failure in the present. I support your opinion (keeping him around for the remainder of this year at least) but just don't think he has that long unless things turn around pretty quickly.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I didn't know he was at the Storm. Assistant for Bellamy? I know a lot of Penrith supporters give Griffin a lot of credit for the success they are now having.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I didn't know he was at the Storm. Assistant for Bellamy? I know a lot of Penrith supporters give Griffin a lot of credit for the success they are now having.
No before Bellamy 2001 - 2002 under Chris Anderson then Mark Murray after that Qld Cup teams where he won 3 premierships with 2 different clubs. Then Broncos U20 team won the comp with them then Broncos job and Panthers so he's nobody's fool . I would consider him an old school coach.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
No before Bellamy 2001 - 2002 under Chris Anderson then Mark Murray after that Qld Cup teams where he won 3 premierships with 2 different clubs. Then Broncos U20 team won the comp with them then Broncos job and Panthers so he's nobody's fool . I would consider him an old school coach.
That's an impressive resume but so far he's been an abject failure at the Dragons.

Lets hope he turns it around sooner rather tjan later.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's an impressive resume but so far he's been an abject failure at the Dragons.

Lets hope he turns it around sooner rather tjan later.
Dont forget he inherited a forwards pack that would have been hard up beating the women's team so money had to be spent frugally to get some experience and talent into the squad as I said in another post you can have the Australian backline in your team but if your forwards are doing the M.J. moonwalk it won't really matter

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  • The mess when he arrived. Amen to that. It may be a cliche but it seems the lunatics really were in change of the asylum.
  • Stop sticking with 'old favourites' like McCullough if they aren't performing.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Dont forget he inherited a forwards pack that would have been hard up beating the women's team so money had to be spent frugally to get some experience and talent into the squad as I said in another post you can have the Australian backline in your team but if your forwards are doing the M.J. moonwalk it won't really matter
Yep. How were Lawrie's numbers last week? I know he passed the ball at least twice.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep. How were Lawrie's numbers last week? I know he passed the ball at least twice.
Actually not bad he was one of the forwards that ran for my 100m + it was his best stats since round 1. Actually believe this or not our stats were better or equal that of Souths the thing that killed us off was our mistake rate (errors) and our completion rate 67% you cant win games with a 67% completion rate, compare that to 78% when we won our only game

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

• Stop sticking with 'old favourites' like McCullough if they aren't performing.
I agree, I have said all along he was hired to stop leaking points through the pack, making 50 tackles a game last season was a positive for us. However so far this year in the 3 games he has managed to play he has made 8 runs for less that 24m. As an attacking option the defensive line of the opposition don't have to worry about him hence the extra defence on our playmaker and edge forwards. If you watch the games when he is at dummy half their second marker peels off straight away to assist the A and B defenders whereas if he was a threat of darting out of dummy half the 2nd marker would have to stay within the ruck area in case the dummy half broke the line.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I agree, I have said all along he was hired to stop leaking points through the pack, making 50 tackles a game last season was a positive for us. However so far this year in the 3 games he has managed to play he has made 8 runs for less that 24m. As an attacking option the defensive line of the opposition don't have to worry about him hence the extra defence on our playmaker and edge forwards. If you watch the games when he is at dummy half their second marker peels off straight away to assist the A and B defenders whereas if he was a threat of darting out of dummy half the 2nd marker would have to stay within the ruck area in case the dummy half broke the line.
Mbye would be a suitable replacement for McCullough?
Maybe idle speculation. As GCRV GCRV stated, he's an old favourite of the coach.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Actually not bad he was one of the forwards that ran for my 100m + it was his best stats since round 1. Actually believe this or not our stats were better or equal that of Souths the thing that killed us off was our mistake rate (errors) and our completion rate 67% you cant win games with a 67% completion rate, compare that to 78% when we won our only game
Wonders never cease. He's definitely better starting games on the bench but still hardly puts fear in the opposition in attack or defence.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  • Lay down the law to Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax to stop trying to pull off "miracle plays". Lomax and his botched but completely unnecessary no look pass being a perfect example.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
  • Lay down the law to Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax to stop trying to pull off "miracle plays". Lomax and his botched but completely unnecessary no look pass being a perfect example.
Both of them have been guilty of that at times this season. I think the coach has already addressed it. Can't remember a single flick pass from Lomax last game. The no-look pass wasn't great but it was just one mistake.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Both of them have been guilty of that at times this season. I think the coach has already addressed it. Can't remember a single flick pass from Lomax last game. The no-look pass wasn't great but it was just one mistake.
There was also the issue of Hunt taking, and botching the short kick off and him taking and making by a few cms the short drop out just after that.