HUNT

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
According to Phil Rothfield, Ben Hunt isn't in the top 50 players in the NRL. Judging by his form this year I think that is right but because of his utility ability, I think it's wrong.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

23 biggest NRL moments in ‘23​

5. HUNT RELEASE REQUEST AFTER HOOK SACKED

After not being offered an extension, Anthony Griffin was always racing the clock to save his job at the Dragons in 2024. After failing to make the finals in his first two seasons, the Dragons needed to start the season on fire and they did anything but resulting in Griffin being the first coach sacked for the season.

The Dragons installed Ryan Carr as their interim coach for the remainder of the season, but Griffin’s departure got several senior players off-side including captain Ben Hunt.

During the Origin series, Hunt finally had enough of the direction the Dragons were going and requested an immediate release from the final two and a half years of his contract.

Hunt cited a desire to return home to Queensland with his family as the chief reason, but he also wanted to win a premiership before retiring and felt his chances of doing so at the Dragons were next to nil.

Reports of a short-term deal with the Broncos before a two-year deal with the Titans were dashed when incoming coach Shane Flanagan refused to release Hunt.

However, if the Dragons can’t improve dramatically from their 16th place finish next season, the drums might be out and Hunt could pursue a release request yet again.

I guess we can be happy this wasn't #1

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

23 biggest NRL moments in ‘23​

5. HUNT RELEASE REQUEST AFTER HOOK SACKED

After not being offered an extension, Anthony Griffin was always racing the clock to save his job at the Dragons in 2024. After failing to make the finals in his first two seasons, the Dragons needed to start the season on fire and they did anything but resulting in Griffin being the first coach sacked for the season.

The Dragons installed Ryan Carr as their interim coach for the remainder of the season, but Griffin’s departure got several senior players off-side including captain Ben Hunt.

During the Origin series, Hunt finally had enough of the direction the Dragons were going and requested an immediate release from the final two and a half years of his contract.

Hunt cited a desire to return home to Queensland with his family as the chief reason, but he also wanted to win a premiership before retiring and felt his chances of doing so at the Dragons were next to nil.

Reports of a short-term deal with the Broncos before a two-year deal with the Titans were dashed when incoming coach Shane Flanagan refused to release Hunt.

However, if the Dragons can’t improve dramatically from their 16th place finish next season, the drums might be out and Hunt could pursue a release request yet again.

I guess we can be happy this wasn't #1
Hopefully the only talk about Hunt going forward is about his (good) form.