Interesting

Eric

Staff
ok. I agree. Just saying if they spend the year in the NSW Cup, it'll be a bigger mistake than investing in youth would have been. Even if they never kicked on.
You're right. Griffin should have grabbed a couple of props out of high school and put them into the top 30.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
You're right. Griffin should have grabbed a couple of props out of high school and put them into the top 30.
Yep. Because there is no difference between a 17 year-old high school student and a 20 year-old NSW Cup player knocking on the door but behind a few entrenched 25-30 year-old props at some club.

Eric

Staff
Yep. Because there is no difference between a 17 year-old high school student and a 20 year-old NSW Cup player knocking on the door but behind a few entrenched 25-30 year-old props at some club.
Yep. Because such props are hiding in plain sight. They are there but Griffin and his staff can't find them.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yep. Because such props are hiding in plain sight. They are there but Griffin and his staff can't find them.
When it comes to our prop rotation, the only thing that is certain is almost certain not to happen. If Josh Kerr ripped in like Blake Lawrie rather than tip-toe around like Corey Norman, he'd be our next immortal.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I agree there is nothing more incentive than to be written off as a has been, too old, cant hack it, too injury prone etc the first 6 rounds will tell us if the signings were a stroke of genius or a gamble gone bad. Im hoping a stroke of genius
Never looked at it like that but as you point it out, it's probably true. Maybe these media people are fans trying to fire up the forward pack.

Eric

Staff

Wayne Bennett v Broncos​

2009, round four: St George Illawarra 25-12​

Bennett refused to say it after the game, but this one would have had him smiling on the inside. In his return to Suncorp Stadium after leaving to coach the Dragons, Bennett masterminded the four tries to two upset. He said little afterwards he didn’t feel relief or satisfaction.

When pressed on what emotion he actually felt, Bennett said: ``None. I am a football coach. I am doing my job. I am wearing a different jersey. The job is the same.‘’ Don’t worry, it fooled no one.

I wasn't sure where to park this. This thread is called "Interesting" and this story is interesting so why not?

It's amazing that when a team is winning, it gets hardly any press coverage. At least, hardly any worth reproducing here.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Wayne Bennett v Broncos​

2009, round four: St George Illawarra 25-12​

Bennett refused to say it after the game, but this one would have had him smiling on the inside. In his return to Suncorp Stadium after leaving to coach the Dragons, Bennett masterminded the four tries to two upset. He said little afterwards he didn’t feel relief or satisfaction.

When pressed on what emotion he actually felt, Bennett said: ``None. I am a football coach. I am doing my job. I am wearing a different jersey. The job is the same.‘’ Don’t worry, it fooled no one.

I wasn't sure where to park this. This thread is called "Interesting" and this story is interesting so why not?

It's amazing that when a team is winning, it gets hardly any press coverage. At least, hardly any worth reproducing here.
As the old saying goes, no news is good news.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I didn't know where to leave this so here it is. See the part in bold. Another idiot who doesn't watch Dragons games but still tells is what's what about how they are playing.

JACK BIRD (Dragons)

NRL games: 135
Star rating: 7
Pest rating: 6
Overall ranking: Equal 14th

One of the NRL’s most underrated serial pests, Bird sure knows how to upset his rivals while maintaining his innocence. During what has been a tough period for the Dragons, Bird is also among their best every time he takes the field. And while you rarely see him lose his temper, don’t underestimate the subtle work he gets done when it comes to the art of niggling.

Eric

Staff
Saw this on zero tackle. Looked like the person has some idea WTF he is talking about. This is just players already signed.

Current best 17 for 2025
  1. No player signed (Sloan or Manu)
  2. Mikaeale Ravalawa
  3. Zac Lomax
  4. No player signed (Tamale. Clubs needs to extend him ASAP!)
  5. Sione Finau
  6. Kyle Flanagan (STFU with that! Did you see him play for the Bullgrubs before he was dropped?)
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Hame Sele
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. Jack Bird (doubt it)

14. No player signed
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Ryan Couchman
  17. Hamish Stewart

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Saw this on zero tackle. Looked like the person has some idea WTF he is talking about. This is just players already signed.

Current best 17 for 2025
  2. Mikaeale Ravalawa
  3. Zac Lomax
  5. Sione Finau
  6. Kyle Flanagan (STFU with that! Did you see him play for the Bullgrubs before he was dropped?)
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Hame Sele
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. JDB

14. No player signed
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Ryan Couchman
  17. Hamish Stewart

Current best 17 for 2025
  2. Mikaeale Ravalawa
  3. Zac Lomax
  5. Sione Finau
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Hame Sele
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. Jack Bird (doubt it)

14. No player signed
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Ryan Couchman
  17. Hamish Stewart
This is what I hope is the 17 in no order of who is on the bench and who is starting. Because It wouldn't surprise me if Both Couchman's are starting.
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mikaeale Ravalawa
  3. Zac Lomax
  4. Savelio Tamale
  5. Sione Finau
  6. Lyhkan King-Togia
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Loko Tonga
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. JDB

14. Nicholas Tsougranis
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Ryan Couchman
  17. Hamish Stewart

I know Flanno has been vocal about signing a couple of big names but just on who is at the club already or who is likely to be re-signed or not. I think Su'a wants out and not sure about Suli unless he can transition into the forwards.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If we could snag our junior that wasn't good enough years ago, AFB then that would be a big coup and tick off a very important box for me. A big bodied front rower who can consistently eat up the metres in the middle of the park

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
If we could snag our junior that wasn't good enough years ago, AFB then that would be a big coup and tick off a very important box for me. A big bodied front rower who can consistently eat up the metres in the middle of the park
Welcome back. Are you on another trip?
He was fired for beating his GF. Deserves a second chance and the recruitment and retention policies since Bennett have been mind-boggling bad but can't blame the club/staff for this one.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Welcome back. Are you on another trip?
He was fired for beating his GF. Deserves a second chance and the recruitment and retention policies since Bennett have been mind-boggling bad but can't blame the club/staff for this one.
Back now next trip October 2024 . I doubt if he will sign with us

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Analysis: The Dragons were one of the most disappointing teams of the season and were it not for the Tigers they could have proved pre-season wooden spoon predictions right as they finished second last. Anthony Griffin was sacked mid-season and former Sharks premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan has been brought in to fix the club, which has fallen away badly in the last decade after winning the title back in 2010. Unfortunately, the club has been unable to improve their roster much at this stage with only Hame Sele (Rabbitohs) and Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs) joining the team in 2024. Sele will add some much needed starch to the pack, while Flanagan will partner Ben Hunt in the halves after Junior Amone’s legal troubles and Jayden Sullivan’s switch to the Tigers. There is a feeling this roster is a lot better than where they finished last season and Flanagan will bring out the best in them, but their next premiership still looks a long way off at this stage.

Premiership window: 2028-2030

This is just a reporter filling up word counts during the off season. I don't think anyone takes it too seriously. But here it is anyway.

I just think so much depends on our spine. Can Sloan get more involved and run harder and learn to tackle?
We know Ben Hunt is going to bring a good running game to the table but can we get a playmaker to partner him?
Who is going to be the long-term 5/8? We know Flanno snr will give Flanno jnr every chance but I I very much doubt that will be enough.
Liddle is a known quantity. He isn't going to lose or win us many games.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Analysis: The Dragons were one of the most disappointing teams of the season and were it not for the Tigers they could have proved pre-season wooden spoon predictions right as they finished second last. Anthony Griffin was sacked mid-season and former Sharks premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan has been brought in to fix the club, which has fallen away badly in the last decade after winning the title back in 2010. Unfortunately, the club has been unable to improve their roster much at this stage with only Hame Sele (Rabbitohs) and Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs) joining the team in 2024. Sele will add some much needed starch to the pack, while Flanagan will partner Ben Hunt in the halves after Junior Amone’s legal troubles and Jayden Sullivan’s switch to the Tigers. There is a feeling this roster is a lot better than where they finished last season and Flanagan will bring out the best in them, but their next premiership still looks a long way off at this stage.

Premiership window: 2028-2030

This is just a reporter filling up word counts during the off season. I don't think anyone takes it too seriously. But here it is anyway.

I just think so much depends on our spine. Can Sloan get more involved and run harder and learn to tackle?
We know Ben Hunt is going to bring a good running game to the table but can we get a playmaker to partner him?
Who is going to be the long-term 5/8? We know Flanno snr will give Flanno jnr every chance but I I very much doubt that will be enough.
Liddle is a known quantity. He isn't going to lose or win us many games.
Well our spine has been rated 15th for the upcoming 2024 season. The spine nominated was : Sloan, Flanagan ( I told you so), Hunt and Liddle. We are in for another long season new coach or not. No.1 was predictably the Panthers, the two teams rated under us were Bulldogs and surprisingly the Raiders .

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well our spine has been rated 15th for the upcoming 2024 season. The spine nominated was : Sloan, Flanagan ( I told you so), Hunt and Liddle. We are in for another long season new coach or not. No.1 was predictably the Panthers, the two teams rated under us were Bulldogs and surprisingly the Raiders .
And Flanagan is a Dogs reject! Liddle is a Tigers reject. But from what I've seen, I'd say Liddle is a much better hooker than Flanagan is a 5/8.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
And Flanagan is a Dogs reject! Liddle is a Tigers reject. But from what I've seen, I'd say Liddle is a much better hooker than Flanagan is a 5/8.
The lack of big bodied props yet again this season means to me that we may, just may avoid the wooden spoon. Time will tell. I'll be in the stands for game 1 on the Gold Coast against a Titans team who also have a new coach. I don't expect that we will be winning that game and that should set the tone for another negative win/loss season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The lack of big bodied props yet again this season means to me that we may, just may avoid the wooden spoon. Time will tell. I'll be in the stands for game 1 on the Gold Coast against a Titans team who also have a new coach. I don't expect that we will be winning that game and that should set the tone for another negative win/loss season.
Hopefully Josh Coric is ready to make the jump into first grade. That will give us Lawrie, Coric and JDB as high quality middle forwards. But for sure still lacking in that area. Be nice is Frank Molo justified his salary but not holding my breath for that to happen.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Hopefully Josh Coric is ready to make the jump into first grade. That will give us Lawrie, Coric and JDB as high quality middle forwards. But for sure still lacking in that area. Be nice is Frank Molo justified his salary but not holding my breath for that to happen.
Don't give up on AFB yet.
I'm more worried about 5/8.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Don't give up on AFB yet.
I'm more worried about 5/8.
Perhaps 2025 for him but I doubt that he would want to join a team tipped by many pundits to pick up the wooden spoon, 5/8 is sorted and has been for a while, his son will wear the 6 as I predicted, 7 an ageing Hunt, 9 Liddle and 1 Sloan who doesnt instill any confidence in the last line of defence, what a spine. Sorry for the doom and gloom but that is the reality of the situation unless we somehow manage more go forward.