Interesting

Eric

Staff
The first thing he said is that he thought the team was too slow. What sport does he think he's talking about? The team in the first two rounds this year is slower still!

Why wouldn't Kyle be in a good space? His dad picked him off the NRL scrap heap. It's the space that puts the team in which concerns me. I don't mean to be too harsh on him. Been enough of that already but seriously, lets see him put the team in 'a good space'.
A few holes and a few emissions but pretty interesting interview. I didn't like talking about Lomax on the wing. I think everyone believes Zac will put in 100% wherever he's selected. At training and in games. Nothing "surprising" there at all. It's a question on where he is best for the team. He shouldn't have glossed over the fact Zac wants out! And he should have addressed the thinking in having him make way in the centres for Bird.

BTW thanks to Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan for sharing this. No matter what one thinks of what he said, surely we can agree it's worth hearing.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The first thing he said is that he thought the team was too slow. What sport does he think he's talking about? The team in the first two rounds this year is slower still!

Why wouldn't Kyle be in a good space? His dad picked him off the NRL scrap heap. It's the space that puts the team in which concerns me. I don't mean to be too harsh on him. Been enough of that already but seriously, lets see him put the team in 'a good space'.
It's true there were no marquee players available. It's true he was scathing about the performance last Sunday and said it isn't good enough....... so he goes with the same 17 bar 2 forced out by injury and suspension. So much for holding players accountable.

Not good. But lets give it another game. If they lose badly again tomorrow, there should several changes or I'll be off the Flanno bandwagon. Won't be any more referring to him by his preferred nickname.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's true there were no marquee players available. It's true he was scathing about the performance last Sunday and said it isn't good enough....... so he goes with the same 17 bar 2 forced out by injury and suspension. So much for holding players accountable.

Not good. But lets give it another game. If they lose badly again tomorrow, there should several changes or I'll be off the Flanno bandwagon. Won't be any more referring to him by his preferred nickname.
Always said a coach is like a champion jockey he can only get the best out of what he's got to work with. We just don't have the thoroughbreds. We lack power in our bookends and we lack genuine speed in our backline they are just facts.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Always said a coach is like a champion jockey he can only get the best out of what he's got to work with. We just don't have the thoroughbreds. We lack power in our bookends and we lack genuine speed in our backline they are just facts.
Thats why they all need to go slowly filter them out , these guys are scared for life under Dragons Footy ....... Who ever wants out go , then slowly get rid of the rest ........ I would keep none .........

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Agree. I know Couchman's aren't exactly bookends but they are better forwards, middle or edge than M. Molo, Eisenhuth. Nothing against those 2. Couchman's are just better. Have been since they first got a chance in first grade.

I know Lomax isn't a really fast centre. Not slow either. He is a slow winger and Bird is extremely slow for a centre.

You see how Flanno is managing the lack of power in the forwards and lack of speed in the backs?

But I'm ok with it. Happy to roll with it for a bit and see how it works out. Just don't go down the Griffin path of picking the same team week after week even though they were losing. Instead look at how Bennett reacted to his team putting on a shocker in round 1.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Thats why they all need to go slowly filter them out , these guys are scared for life under Dragons Footy ....... Who ever wants out go , then slowly get rid of the rest ........ I would keep none .........
I wouldn't get rid of all but yeah, I agree a number of high profile players might need to go. Including a couple who are experts at avoiding any criticism, Suli and Su'a. Even after Suli bombed that game against the Tigers last year, no one got on his case at all. And some of Su'a defensive efforts last week were embarrassing. Seemed he wasn't trying. But still no criticism.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno said he will review Lomax position after round 4.
I think that will be a general review of the whole team.
We play Kogarah and then Wollongong so that will gives us 2 away and 2 home games and Flanno a better idea of what's working and not working.
I wouldn't expect too many changes until then.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I wouldn't get rid of all but yeah, I agree a number of high profile players might need to go. Including a couple who are experts at avoiding any criticism, Suli and Su'a. Even after Suli bombed that game against the Tigers last year, no one got on his case at all. And some of Su'a defensive efforts last week were embarrassing. Seemed he wasn't trying. But still no criticism.
If you take into account Su'As bad games injuries and suspension we would be lucky to of got 50% value from him.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If you take into account Su'As bad games injuries and suspension we would be lucky to of got 50% value from him.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree. I know Couchman's aren't exactly bookends but they are better forwards, middle or edge than M. Molo, Eisenhuth. Nothing against those 2. Couchman's are just better. Have been since they first got a chance in first grade.

I know Lomax isn't a really fast centre. Not slow either. He is a slow winger and Bird is extremely slow for a centre.

You see how Flanno is managing the lack of power in the forwards and lack of speed in the backs?

But I'm ok with it. Happy to roll with it for a bit and see how it works out. Just don't go down the Griffin path of picking the same team week after week even though they were losing. Instead look at how Bennett reacted to his team putting on a shocker in round 1.
Agree he's tinkered with the backline. I would hope that midway through the comp when it is clear we won't be playing semi finals football again perhaps some of our younger, faster backs will be blooded as we are slowly seeing with Fifita in the forwards.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno said he will review Lomax position after round 4.
I think that will be a general review of the whole team.
We play Kogarah and then Wollongong so that will gives us 2 away and 2 home games and Flanno a better idea of what's working and not working.
I wouldn't expect too many changes until then.
Agree, the last thing anyone would want to see is our new coach panicking. It's up to the players

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sorry mate , Id keep none they are all damaged goods one way or the other ........

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Understand the sentiment but look at the Dogs. That's what they have done and it hasn't exactly done a lot for them.
Agree what I'm saying is slowly get rid of them by replacing with a better replacement not like the dogs could take a year or 2 but filter each player out ...... And who ever wants out now piss off ......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree what I'm saying is slowly get rid of them by replacing with a better replacement not like the dogs could take a year or 2 but filter each player out ...... And who ever wants out now piss off ......
If you think about it, this is not really a far-fetched comment.
In 2026 Hunt and JDB will be retired. RFM will go to ESL or retire. Bird will go to the ESL. I'd be keeping Lomax and Sloan. Sloan on condition no young players come through a displace them. Lomax will go ok anywhere. Play him at prop and he won't let anyone down. Plus need a couple of old hard heads in every team. Might be like this.
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Lomax
  5. ????????
  6. LKT
  7. Aston Ward
There are so many good, young forwards coming through. I'm not going to try to name them all. But a few are:
  • Couchman's
  • Egan
  • Kyan Hjaltason
  • Finau Latu
  • Hutchinson who I've heard just keeps getting better in the lower grades.
  • Fifita
  • Sele might stay around that long
  • Leilua will still be on the books. Might be worth keeping around as well.
That's 15 players. Half a squad already. A few imports are certain. Maybe even Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting stat
In 3 games we have had only 3 scorers
Sloan 4
Lomax 3
Flanno 2
As a coach that's not a good stat to see. When you examine those tries Flanagan two are dummy and run very close to the opposition's tryline both times the defence made the cardinal sin of taking their eyes off the ball carrier and kudos to him but that will be highlighted in the future.

Lomax 2 conventional wingers tries one from Hunt kick close to the Titans tryline. Last night on the end of an attacking structure. The other because he went looking for the ball on the opposite side of the field.

I noticed our attacking structures heavily favour his side of the park.

Sloan well his tries are coming from his ability to inject himself into the backline on the edges of the ruck and his speed and evasion abilities nearly make him unstoppable. Lot of natural attacking talent there and finally learning to read the game. Imagine what damage he could do playing behind a pack not struggling to make metres.

Just my thoughts.