Interesting

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hopefully Josh Coric is ready to make the jump into first grade. That will give us Lawrie, Coric and JDB as high quality middle forwards. But for sure still lacking in that area. Be nice is Frank Molo justified his salary but not holding my breath for that to happen.
Love Lawrie and JDB but both would now be hard up finding a starting spot in any top 8 team. Coric will take time unless by some divine intervention he has a break out season which I doubt.

Eric

Staff
Love Lawrie and JDB but both would now be hard up finding a starting spot in any top 8 team. Coric will take time unless by some divine intervention he has a break out season which I doubt.
I've been saying for a while and I think you agreed. Or was it I who agreed with you? Don't remember but I think Lawrie is much better coming on after 20min. Just we have no one else.

Remember Coric was out all last season. To me he seems like a bit bigger, faster, more skillful Lawrie. Just not sure about ticker and stamina.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Luck of the draw: The Dragons have a big boost during the Origin period, facing the Panthers and the Broncos without all their representative stars. They then face the Panthers just once more, as well as top four teams Storm and Warriors once throughout the season. Only one five-day turnaround early in the season helps too, as well as four home games in the last five rounds.

Banana peel: It’s a tough start to the year with two away games in Queensland against Des Hasler’s Gold Coast followed by the Dolphins, and they miss out on Magic Round too. A brutal fortnight against Panthers and Storm after their last bye will start their ride into the finals too.

Can’t-miss match: R9 v Sharks. Shane Flanagan faces the team he coached to a premiership for the first time as an opponent.

Byes: R11, R16, R20

Play once:Cowboys, Warriors, Knights, Broncos, Storm, Raiders, Rabbitohs and Eels

Play twice: Roosters, Sharks and Panthers, Titans, Dolphins, Tigers, Sea Eagles and Bulldogs

Turnarounds:

5 days:
1 game

6 days: 8 games

7+ days: 14 games

Verdict: The Dragons can see big improvement with this draw.

Grade: B+

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Luck of the draw: The Dragons have a big boost during the Origin period, facing the Panthers and the Broncos without all their representative stars. They then face the Panthers just once more, as well as top four teams Storm and Warriors once throughout the season. Only one five-day turnaround early in the season helps too, as well as four home games in the last five rounds.

Banana peel: It’s a tough start to the year with two away games in Queensland against Des Hasler’s Gold Coast followed by the Dolphins, and they miss out on Magic Round too. A brutal fortnight against Panthers and Storm after their last bye will start their ride into the finals too.

Can’t-miss match: R9 v Sharks. Shane Flanagan faces the team he coached to a premiership for the first time as an opponent.

Byes: R11, R16, R20

Play once:Cowboys, Warriors, Knights, Broncos, Storm, Raiders, Rabbitohs and Eels

Play twice: Roosters, Sharks and Panthers, Titans, Dolphins, Tigers, Sea Eagles and Bulldogs

Turnarounds:

5 days:
1 game

6 days: 8 games

7+ days: 14 games

Verdict: The Dragons can see big improvement with this draw.

Grade: B+
There are no easy games. Even Tigers with Sullivan as 5/8 might embarrass Kyle Flanagan.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
There are no easy games. Even Tigers with Sullivan as 5/8 might embarrass Kyle Flanagan.
Different kinds of players. Flanagan isn't going to break the line and score any solo tries but hopefully he can organise and lead the team around better than Sullivan.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Perhaps 2025 for him but I doubt that he would want to join a team tipped by many pundits to pick up the wooden spoon, 5/8 is sorted and has been for a while, his son will wear the 6 as I predicted, 7 an ageing Hunt, 9 Liddle and 1 Sloan who doesnt instill any confidence in the last line of defence, what a spine. Sorry for the doom and gloom but that is the reality of the situation unless we somehow manage more go forward.
Justified gloom though I'd say at least Sloan has bucket loads of talent. As for the other 3, Hunt at his age and the other two don't give me any confidence.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Who'll make their Origin debut in 2024?​

Brad Walter: Since making his NRL debut as an 18-year-old in 2018, Zac Lomax has shown glimpses of what many believe he is capable of but hasn’t quite lived up to his enormous potential. Closing in on 100 NRL appearances for the Dragons, new coach Shane Flanagan could be the man to get the best out of the now 24-year-old. With representative-quality centres in short supply Lomax is expected to come under consideration from new Blues coach Michael Maguire. Capable of playing centre, fullback, wing or even five-eighth, Lomax’s versatility could also be an advantage after the problems NSW endured last season when the Blues were forced to replace Tom Trbojevic in Origin I and II. There are many good judges in the game who believe it is a matter of when – not if – he will pull on the Sky Blue jersey at senior level.

Eric

Staff

Zac Lomax (Dragons)​

Games: 93

Some tough love from hard-nosed new Dragons coach Shane Flanagan will help launch Lomax into his best season yet and deliver the type of the year St George Illawarra fans have been waiting for from this enigmatic talent. Time for this bloke to stand up and be the superstar he’s promised to be. Most likely to start in the centres, Lomax is ready for a big season and, if he delivers it, the good times will return to the Dragons once more.

Stats that matter: Three of his best four career games for metres came at the back end of last season including a two-try, 206-metre effort against the Raiders in round 19.

By the last 1/4 of last season, I had pretty much stopped caring about results. Only was interested in what was building for the future. As a result I missed Zac running for 206m which is phenomenal for a centre.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Zac Lomax (Dragons)​

Games: 93

Some tough love from hard-nosed new Dragons coach Shane Flanagan will help launch Lomax into his best season yet and deliver the type of the year St George Illawarra fans have been waiting for from this enigmatic talent. Time for this bloke to stand up and be the superstar he’s promised to be. Most likely to start in the centres, Lomax is ready for a big season and, if he delivers it, the good times will return to the Dragons once more.

Stats that matter: Three of his best four career games for metres came at the back end of last season including a two-try, 206-metre effort against the Raiders in round 19.

By the last 1/4 of last season, I had pretty much stopped caring about results. Only was interested in what was building for the future. As a result I missed Zac running for 206m which is phenomenal for a centre.
I always had the opinion that Lomax could play centre for the sky blues.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Spoke to a few managers yesterday and they spoke about how much easier it is to deal with the club.
Flanno and Billy have the authority to sign players on their own, previously all signings went to a committee for approval.
Who is Billy?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Spoke to a few managers yesterday and they spoke about how much easier it is to deal with the club.
Flanno and Billy have the authority to sign players on their own, previously all signings went to a committee for approval.
So I take it that my information in regards to managers giving us a wide berth in the last few years was correct?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
So I take it that my information in regards to managers giving us a wide berth in the last few years was correct?
This is how the team lined up last time Sele played for the Dragons, round 17, 2018
  1. Matt Dufty - Too soft for NRL. Didn't even try to make some of those tackles.
  2. Nene Macdonald
  3. Euan Aitken - Was one of my favourites but didn't have enough skill.
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Kurt Mann
  6. Gareth Widdop - Was another of my favourites but in hindsight, never got the good results a C and playmaker should. Hello Ben Hunt!
  7. Darren Nicholls - Who TF is this?
  8. James Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes - Thought he was ok. Don't know why Griffin sent him on his way.
  10. Leeson Ah Mau - Another of my favourites. Just got old. Happens to everyone.
  11. Jacob Host
  12. Luciano Leilua - Should never have been let go.
  13. Blake Lawrie

Bench:
  14. Jeremy Latimore
  15. Jason Nightingale
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Reece Robson - Another who shouldn't have been let go but Mary loved McInnes.

Coach: Paul McGregor

Eric

Staff
I think several contract disasters umder the last 3 coaches made the whole "recruitment committee" necessary. Just my views.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
This is how the team lined up last time Sele played for the Dragons, round 17, 2018
  1. Matt Dufty - Too soft for NRL. Didn't even try to make some of those tackles.
  2. Nene Macdonald
  3. Euan Aitken - Was one of my favourites but didn't have enough skill.
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Kurt Mann
  6. Gareth Widdop - Was another of my favourites but in hindsight, never got the good results a C and playmaker should. Hello Ben Hunt!
  7. Darren Nicholls - Who TF is this?
  8. James Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes - Thought he was ok. Don't know why Griffin sent him on his way.
  10. Leeson Ah Mau - Another of my favourites. Just got old. Happens to everyone.
  11. Jacob Host
  12. Luciano Leilua - Should never have been let go.
  13. Blake Lawrie

Bench:
  14. Jeremy Latimore
  15. Jason Nightingale
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Reece Robson - Another who shouldn't have been let go but Mary loved McInnes.

Coach: Paul McGregor
Nighty played a year too long as well. Still can't quite understand what is was with his running style. Not big, not fast, not much footwork but was still so hard to tackle.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
DRAGONS WERE KEPT IN THE DARK ON RONALD VOLKMAN

credit: NRL Physio

Further details on Ronald Volkman’s shoulder injury - he will require another reconstruction after scans revealed screws from his 2022 surgery had come loose in the shoulder joint. Wide range of recovery outcomes pending severity of damage, but generally a 4-6 month rehab period.

Reported timeline of injury & contract situation:

Dec 12 - contact injury @ Warriors training, no scans reported
Dec 24 - Volkman’s management requests/granted termination of Warriors contract
Jan 2 - Warriors provide Dragons with medical report indicating “shoulder irritation”
Jan 3 - Dragons announce signing (not reported at the time but since revealed this was subject to medical clearance)
Jan 4 - Volkman trains with Dragons in non-contact bib
Jan 5 - scans performed on shoulder reveal loose screws from previous reconstruction, contract terminated

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
DRAGONS WERE KEPT IN THE DARK ON RONALD VOLKMAN

credit: NRL Physio

Further details on Ronald Volkman’s shoulder injury - he will require another reconstruction after scans revealed screws from his 2022 surgery had come loose in the shoulder joint. Wide range of recovery outcomes pending severity of damage, but generally a 4-6 month rehab period.

Reported timeline of injury & contract situation:

Dec 12 - contact injury @ Warriors training, no scans reported
Dec 24 - Volkman’s management requests/granted termination of Warriors contract
Jan 2 - Warriors provide Dragons with medical report indicating “shoulder irritation”
Jan 3 - Dragons announce signing (not reported at the time but since revealed this was subject to medical clearance)
Jan 4 - Volkman trains with Dragons in non-contact bib
Jan 5 - scans performed on shoulder reveal loose screws from previous reconstruction, contract terminated
Can't blame the club for this one. His management and the Warriors are to blame.