Movies and TV

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Star Wars quiz:
  1. Which of these Jedi are not related?
    a. Luke Skywalker b. Darth Vader c. Obi-Wan Kenobi d. Leia Organa
  2. What was order 66?
    a. An initiation ceremony all Jedi performed. b. An order which led to the deth of many Jedi at the end of the Clone War.
    c. The command that blew up the planet Alderaan. c. The code name for the operation to steal the death star plans.
  3. What was the name of the son of Han Solo and Leia Organa?
    a. Anakin Skywalker b. Kylo Ren c. Darth Maul d. Rey
  4. What are Jedi younglings in training called?
    a. Padawan b. Paploo c. Palpatine d. Padmei
  5. What is the main enemy of the Jedi called?
    a. The Sache b. The Sebulba c. The Sabe d. The Sith
  6. What is the highest rank in the Jedi High Council?
    a. Jedi Commander b. Jedi Master c. Jedi Knight d. Grand Master

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Star Wars quiz:
  1. Which of these Jedi aren't related?
  2. What was order 66?
    a. An initiation ceremony all Jedi performed. b. An order which led to the death of many Jedi at the end of the Clone War.
    c. The command that blew up the planet Alderaan. c. The code name for the operation to steal the death star plans.
1. Obi-Wan. Luke and Leia are twins and Vader is their biological father.
2. b?
3. b
4. d?
5. d?
6. b?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Th
Star Wars quiz:
  1. Which of these Jedi are not related?
  2. What was order 66?
    a. An initiation ceremony all Jedi performed. b. An order which led to the deth of many Jedi at the end of the Clone War.
I'm the odd one out. Never watched it or the sequels.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Rouge One is a good movie:
The rest are good for kids. Actually the last one where Luke Skywalker dies isn't even good for kids. Just an all-round bad movie.

I think the last is the one where Han Solo meets Chewbacca. Wasn't great but I don't think it was so bad. the TV spin-offs, 'Kenobi' and the one on now called 'Andor' are very good. Unfortunately there won't be a season 2 for Kenobi. It was very popular but the story finished where the first Star Wars movie stars.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think the last is the one where Han Solo meets Chewbacca. Wasn't great but I don't think it was so bad. the TV spin-offs, 'Kenobi' and the one on now called 'Andor' are very good. Unfortunately there won't be a season 2 for Kenobi. It was very popular but the story finished where the first Star Wars movie stars.
The movie you are talking about, "Solo: A Star Wars Story", is like Rouge One. A spin off on the original Star Wars movies but not part of the Star Wars story.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
MY idea of good sci fi is Independence Day, War of the Worlds or Alien.
Aliens, absolutely good movie. War of the Worlds wasn't bad but didn't make sense. Some very big gaps in the story. And the rebel son when "he had to go" and save the armies but then is unharmed at the end....... Seriously. As for Independence Day, have to disagree with you on that one.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
War of the Worlds
Was referring more to the low budget original produced in 1953. The alien space craft were far more believable than in later productions. This film, more than any other of the time gave me a great interest in space and the universe.
But to be honest H G Wells w'have turned in his grave on seeing it as it was no where near what he wrote. There was a Brit made mini series that followed the Wells narrative, far better than the Tom Cruise movie in my view.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Was referring more to the low budget original produced in 1953. The alien space craft were far more believable than in later productions. This film, more than any other of the time gave me a great interest in space and the universe.
But to be honest H G Wells w'have turned in his grave on seeing it as it was no where near what he wrote. There was a Brit made mini series that followed the Wells narrative, far better than the Tom Cruise movie in my view.
Isn't that the one where it was read over the radio and people freaked out, thinking it was really happening?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Isn't that the one where it was read over the radio and people freaked out, thinking it was really happening?
Hmm. Know what you are saying. You may be confused with American actor Orson Welles , was circa 1937 and Welles was doing the freaking out, if memory serves.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
MY idea of good sci fi is Independence Day, War of the Worlds or Alien.
I can't say in which order but some sci fi movies and books I really liked:
  • Predator
  • Rogue One
  • The Matrix
  • Serenity
  • The Terminator
  • Gattaca
  • The Abyss
  • Pitch Black
Books, this time in order:
  1. The Dark Forest
  2. Ender's Game
  3. Dune
  4. Seveneves
  5. The Three-Body Problem
  6. The Ghost Brigades
  7. The Light Brigade
  8. Old Mans War

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
What did you dislike about Independence Day. I understand there is another sequel. I must watch it.
I missed Close Encounters of a Third Kind too as one of my favorite sci fis.
The whole Yandee Doodle thing about it. Some moon sized holes in the story. When the stripper GF kicked in the door to hide from the blast everyone else had the good idea of trying to outrun. Why did the alien space ships come into the atmosphere at all? Why not bombard from space? The symbolism of a black guy and Jew saving humans. I don't care who it was but that's just the point. In the movie they really wanted to underline how it was a black guy and a Jew.