• Bobbi Law
  • Alexis Tauaneai
  • Ella Koster
  • Shenai Lendill
  • Tara McGrath-West
  • Jamilee Bright
  • Sara Sautia
  • Angelina Teakaraanga-Katoa
Pressure should be on Sowie. He has been very unsuccessful.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Updated squad list

Alexis Tauaneai, Angelina Teakaraanga-Katoa, Bobbi Law, Ella Koster, Jamilee Bright, Raecene McGregor, Tara McGrath-West, Teagan Berry, Zali Hopkins, Sophie Clancy, Sara Sautia, Shenai Lendill, Kaarla Cowan, Tayla Curtis, Madison Mulhall, Bronte Wilson

Bronte Wilson to be announced yet

Trinity Tauaneai and Jessica Patea Supplementary contracts

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

Dragons extend Kiwi star​

The Dragons have locked in Kiwi playmaker Tyla King on a new deal which will see the 29-year-old remain at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

After appearing in all nine games for the Dragons in 2023, the cross-code convert capped off a stellar season after helping lead the Kiwi Ferns to a Pacific Championships victory over Australia in her debut Kiwi Ferns campaign.
"I'm so excited to be back with the Dragons," King said.

"I absolutely loved my time last season with the team and knew it wouldn't be a one-and-done type thing. I've still got so much to learn in the sport and I'm super excited to continue that growth with the team and Sowie."

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
The Dragons are pleased to announce that Kasey Reh, Charlotte Basham, and Bronte Wilson have inked NRLW deals fresh off their Tarsha Gale Cup Grand Final glory.

Reh, who captained the Steelers to their 24-12 Grand Final victory, joins the NRLW squad on a three-year contract with Wilson and Basham both inking one-year deals.

All three were integral parts of the Steelers' undefeated run to the premiership with Reh being awarded the competition's Player of the Series.

Dragons NRLW head coach Jamie Soward is confident that the trio will play an important role for the side.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

The Dragons are pleased to confirm that Zali Hopkins, Margot Vella, and Keele Browne have agreed to deals that will see them remain with the Red V.

Hopkins and Vella have both inked deals that will see them remain with the club until at least the end of the 2025 NRLW season whilst Browne has signed a one-year deal.

Hopkins debuted for the Dragons as a five-eighth back in 2022 and has played an important role in the squad over the past two seasons.

The soon-to-be 22-year-old impressed playing Oztag and Rugby Sevens as a youngster before making the switch to rugby league where she made a name for herself playing in the Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership for the Sharks.

“Zali has been a part of my system for a number of years now and she works really hard,” said Dragons NRLW head coach Jamie Soward.

“She’s played out of position, she’s learnt her craft, and she’s a really good team person to be around who will turn into a leader at our club. We’re really happy with the depth we've been able to get covering all positions and Zali typifies that.”

A former Waratah, Vella linked up with the Red V prior to the 2023 NRLW season and quickly made her mark.

She notched a double on debut against the Eels at WIN Stadium and went to make eight appearances throughout the season scoring five tries – the second-highest mark on the team – and averaging 68 run metres with 13 tackle breaks.

“Margot came from the Waratahs and, in her first year, I thought got some really good game knowledge under her belt,” Soward said.

“We’re very pleased to be able to have her back for two years. I think she’s developing and can play pretty much anywhere. She’s a competitor who I've really loved having in the team.”

A Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs junior, Browne made her NRLW debut for the Dragons as a teenager in 2021 and came off the bench in the side’s Grand Final loss later that season.

Her 2023 campaign was cut short due to an ankle injury, but she returns in 2024 as one of the club’s longest tenured players.

“Keele’s been with me since I came to the club. She’s been a part of the Illawarra Steelers and come through the pathways, so she is an example that we like to bring girls right through from start to finish,” Soward said.

“She’s a strong ball-runner, elite with her fitness, and a really good team person. We’re looking forward to having her back for another year.”

Browne echoes Soward’s sentiments as she prepares to return for her fourth campaign as a Dragon.

“I'm really excited for this season,” Browne said.

“We were a pretty new group last season, but we have a lot of girls returning this year so we will be able to build where we left off.”

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
NRLW SQUAD

Alexis Tauaneai
Angelina Teakaraanga-Katoa
Bobbi Law
Bronte Wilson
Charlotte Basham
Ella Koster
Jamilee Bright
Kaarla Cowan
Kasey Reh
Keele Browne
Kimberley Hunt
Maatuleio Fotu-Moala
Macie Carlile
Margot Vella
Raecene McGregor
Sara Sautia
Shenai Lendill
Sophie Clancy
Tara McGrath-West
Taylor Mapusua
Teagan Berry
Tyla King
Zali Hopkins

Development

Indie Bostock
Jessica Patea
Koffi Brookfield
Trinity Tauaneai

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

Duo sign on in NRLW boost​

The Dragons are thrilled to announce that Alice Gregory and Maatuleio Fotu-Moala will join the NRLW squad on one-year deals.
Gregory links up for the Red V having made a name for herself in Australia's Rugby Sevens program.
An Adelaide native, Gregory grew up playing touch football, netball, and softball before being introduced to Rugby Sevens in 2017 whilst at university.

Having impressed international scouts, she inked a deal with Japanese side the Nagato Blue Angels before moving to Sydney in late 2021 to be a part of the Australian Rugby Sevens program.
The 26-year-old will be getting her first taste of rugby league when she begins preseason training with the squad.
“I’ve never played rugby league, so this season will be a whole new challenge,” Gregory said.
“I was enticed by the growth, support, and investment into the women's game and am excited for the challenge of learning a new code and getting on the field with the girls.”
A one-time Tongan representative, Fotu-Moala comes to the Dragons looking to further her own rugby league career.
Born and raised in South Auckland, Fotu-Moala began her rugby league journey as an 18-year-old at the Ōtāhuhu Leopards before stints at the Ponsonby Ponies and Howick Hornets.
Fotu-Moala, 25, made her international debut for Tonga against the Kiwi Ferns in 2022 before representing her nation again at the South Pacific Games the following year.
“I'm excited about my growth by the end of the season and how far I will have come,” Fotu-Moala said.
“This experience is significant for me in helping me come out of my shell and engage with the real world. Playing alongside legendary and professional athletes is a huge milestone for me and I just want to absorb everything like a sponge, keep my head down, and work hard. I want to come out not only a better player, but a better person.”

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra​

2023 result: 7th

Coach: Jamie Soward

Off-season movement: Hooker Renee Targett retired from the NRLW at the end of last season, while Cheynoah Amone, Cortez Te Pou, Kaarla Cowan, Roxette Murdoch, Sarah Riordan, Taylor Mapusua and Maddison Weatherall all remain off-contract. Tarsha Gale Cup winning stars Kasey Reh, Charlotte Basham and Bronte Wilson were all upgraded to NRLW deals. Reh, who captained the Steelers to their 24-12 grand final victory, joins the NRLW squad on a three-year contract with Wilson and Basham both on one-year deals. New Zealand rugby union convert Tyla King (nee Nathan Wong) also re-signed on a new deal which will see the 29-year-old remain at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season, while Zali Hopkins (2025), Margot Vella (2025), and Keele Browne (2024) have all recommitted ahead of the pre-season.

What they need: The Dragons were another club that struggled with depth in 2023, and their young forward pack were dominated by more experienced players across the game. Superstar fullback Teagan Berry is locked in until the end of 2025, while halfback Raecene McGregor is also signed for the next two seasons. They both have the talent to create something out of nothing, but they need dynamite forwards, including a reliable dummy half, to make their job a bit easier.

SIGNED

• Alexis Tauaneai
  • Alice Gregory
  • Angelina Teakaraanga-Katoa
  • Bobbi Law
  • Bronte Wilson
  • Charlotte Basham
  • Ella Koster
  • Jamilee Bright
  • Kaarla Cowan
  • Kasey Reh
  • Keele Browne
  • Kimberley Hunt
  • Maatuleio Fotu-Moala
  • Macie Carlile
  • Margot Vella
  • Raecene McGregor
  • Sara Sautia
  • Shenai Lendill
  • Sophie Clancy
  • Tara McGrath-West
  • Taylor Mapusua
  • Teagan Berry
  • Trinity Tauaneai*
  • Tyla King
  • Zali Hopkins

OFF CONTRACT/UNSIGNED

• Cheynoah Amone
  • Cortez Te Pou
  • Kaarla Cowan (player option)
  • Maddison Weatherall
  • Renee Targett
  • Roxette Murdoch
  • Sarah Riordan
  • Taylor Mapusua (mutual option)

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

The Dragons are thrilled to announce that Stephanie Hancock will join the club for the 2024 NRLW season.

The 42-year-old's addition to the squad comes at the unfortunate expense of Tara McGrath-West, who has been ruled out for the season with a sternum issue.

One of the sport's pioneers, Hancock made her NRLW debut for the Broncos in the competition's inaugural season in 2018 and spent two seasons there before linking up with the Red V for a year.

She has spent the past three seasons with the Titans scoring eight tries.

With two World Cup titles, 16 Queensland caps, and a record 33 NRLW appearances under her belt, Hancock brings one of the sport's great legacies to the Red V.

“I am excited to be playing under Sowie and alongside a new bunch of young talented footballers,” Hancock said.

“I'm extremely happy to be in the same team as Teagan 'Flash' Berry that’s for sure... I’ve been around a while. The club has given me an opportunity that I honestly didn’t expect. To repay them, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help the playing squad on and off the field and hopefully inspire the next generation to want to play rugby league at the Dragons.”

With women's rugby league continuing on its upward trajectory, the upcoming season marks a key milestone for Hancock.

“It’s my first year of not working shift work full-time during a season, so solely concentrating just on footy is definitely one aspect I’m excited about,” she said.

“I’m grateful to the Queensland Police Service for giving me time off to join the Dragons and I’m thankful to the club and Sowie for giving me the opportunity to go around in the NRLW one last time.”

NRLW head coach Jamie Soward is disappointed to have lost McGrath-West for the side's 2024 campaign but is confident that Hancock will prove a more than handy replacement.

“Tara has been an instrumental piece around our club and does so many great things, so she’s going to be a huge loss,” Soward said.

“We were really lucky that Steph – one of the greatest front rowers to ever play the game – fell into our lap and it’s a really big signing for our club; not only because of her talents on the field but the way that she carries herself off it. She’s an upstanding person in what she does away from footy as well… We’re really looking forward to having Steph back and seeing what she can do on the field and off it helping to nurture our elite, young talent.”

Eric

Staff

Players to watch in 2024 season​

TEAGAN BERRY (DRAGONS)

One of the fastest players in the NRLW, a big game for ‘Flash’ is more often than not the difference between winning and losing for the Dragons.

She has a knack for creating something out of nothing. In her first season at fullback last year Berry took her game to a new level with 11 tries in 9 games and getting her involved as much as possible will be key for an even bigger season in 2024.

PAMELA WHALEY’S PLAYERS TO WATCH

THE RISING STAR WHO WILL TAKE THE NEXT STEP: BRONTE WILSON (DRAGONS)

The 17-year-old is the second player to be granted an age exemption to make her NRLW debut after Knights halfback Jesse Southwell back in 2021.
Wilson, who will turn 18 a week after the cut off date (two weeks before the first game), is a prop with pedigree.

Her dad Shane played for the Steelers and the Rabbitohs in the 1990s. After a big year with the Tarsha Gale Cup team in 2024 and spending last year as an NRLW development player, she’s ready to take the next step with the Dragons this season.

They had a very young team last year. Expect them to be much better this year. Maybe whoever is in charge of recruitment and retention should take over for the NRL team.