NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
o Williams my man not taking his opportunities.. Rly hoping it's just a matter of more time to resolve whatever issues r holding him back. Worth investing in someone with that speed and size.

o Having another Finau is so confusing, wonder if he will find his way into cup soon..

o did Halangahu make an impact finally back in the side?

Jesse is signed for 25 he will be given time in the pre-season to work on things.

Jake played small minutes, i was surprised he played he has another schoolboys game this week.

A couple of bad mistakes but how was the rest of his game? Strong carries?

If there was anything good I would of mentioned it, he has been poor for a few weeks now, defence as well.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
If the Flegg team can somehow sneak their way into the Top 5.. I mean it would be a great experience for all of them to play some finals (even though its not cup).. but seems tough to win consistently with a lot of our results seemingly in the balance until fulltime... its not like the SG sides that were winning big.

Its showing a bye for all teams this week which is curious.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If the Flegg team can somehow sneak their way into the Top 5.. I mean it would be a great experience for all of them to play some finals (even though its not cup).. but seems tough to win consistently with a lot of our results seemingly in the balance until fulltime... its not like the SG sides that were winning big.

Its showing a bye for all teams this week which is curious.

It's got to do with Uni holidays and terms giving player students a weekend off.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The Dragons finished off the round with a 52-16 shellacking of the Magpies. Nu Brown scored 20 of those points with a try and seven goals, but it was wing duo Sione Finau and Savelio Tamale who stole the show.

Finau scored four tries and ran 232 metres, while Tamale — who will join the Raiders next season — scored a try, set another up, got three linebreaks, 15 tackle busts and 236 metres.

Eric

Staff
The Dragons finished off the round with a 52-16 shellacking of the Magpies. Nu Brown scored 20 of those points with a try and seven goals, but it was wing duo Sione Finau and Savelio Tamale who stole the show.

Finau scored four tries and ran 232 metres, while Tamale — who will join the Raiders next season — scored a try, set another up, got three linebreaks, 15 tackle busts and 236 metres.
Sione Finau is on the books for next season but I guess for one reason or another, Flanno doesn't rate him.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I reckon Sione would have played last week if not for his injury.. its been unlucky timing. Still hopeful for his success, but hes probably the only guy who 'might' be agitating come end of year if he doesnt get some more games.. hopefully not.. im sure Flanno will have a plan, and Ravalawa should be gone soon enough.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I reckon Sione would have played last week if not for his injury.. its been unlucky timing. Still hopeful for his success, but hes probably the only guy who 'might' be agitating come end of year if he doesnt get some more games.. hopefully not.. im sure Flanno will have a plan, and Ravalawa should be gone soon enough.
Since he signed with Canberra, Tamale has really pulled his socks up as well.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Since he signed with Canberra, Tamale has really pulled his socks up as well.
Just on Tamale, Canberra must have even more cap space than Dragons. We have one marquee player, or player on marquee money, but they have none.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Seems like overpayment for Tamale by the Raiders, esp given hes no guarantee of a starting spot in 2025.. but tbf we are trying to pay more for Talagi.. but I think Talagi is a sure thing already showing he belongs in 1sts, Tamale is a 60/40 proposition I would predict, not sure what his ceiling is yet.

Raiders are I guess a bit like us, lots of rly solid players, Cotric for example is listed @650k, and their forwards probably chew up the most.. Tapine & Papalii.. Tapine would go for 1mil on the open market..... but heaps of rly rly good forwards like Young, Whitehead, Smithies, Mooney, Horsborough, Guler etc.. and they must be paying good money to have pulled all those youngers.. guys like Sanders, Schiller, Stewart, Strange, Tamale, Weekes.. like these kids arent coming for the love of the green colours.. but good point.. it is a very unusual roster.. big classy pack with rly young backs.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Seems like overpayment for Tamale by the Raiders, esp given hes no guarantee of a starting spot in 2025.. but tbf we are trying to pay more for Talagi.. but I think Talagi is a sure thing already showing he belongs in 1sts, Tamale is a 60/40 proposition I would predict, not sure what his ceiling is yet.

Raiders are I guess a bit like us, lots of rly solid players, Cotric for example is listed @650k, and their forwards probably chew up the most.. Tapine & Papalii.. Tapine would go for 1mil on the open market..... but heaps of rly rly good forwards like Young, Whitehead, Smithies, Mooney, Horsborough, Guler etc.. and they must be paying good money to have pulled all those youngers.. guys like Sanders, Schiller, Stewart, Strange, Tamale, Weekes.. like these kids arent coming for the love of the green colours.. but good point.. it is a very unusual roster.. big classy pack with rly young backs.
I trust everyone knows better than me. Haven't watched much of Parra but I remember one game. Not sure who against but Talangi was fullback. I thought good without being great in attack, poor in defence.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
No Flegg, but NSW Cup is:

1. Lyhkan King-Togia
2. Sione Finau
3. Savelio Tamale
4. Jack Bird
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Fa’amanu Brown
7. Jonah Glover
8. Viliami Fifita
9. Connor Muhleisen
10. Alec Tuitavake
11. Dylan Egan
12. Dan Russell (c)
13. Ryan Couchman

Interchange​

14. Haele Finau
15. Michael Molo
16. Josh Coric
17. Jackson Shereb

Replacement Player​

18. Loko Pasifiki Tonga

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont rly get why Shereb is still there, other than I suppose he can cover a bunch of positions, but they have HFinau also.. I would have thought Tonga is worth the investment even though MMolo/Coric tbf are stronger overall at this stage.

I actually thought they might have even considered moving some players up like Latu or a back, but really there are too many players as it is.. there is still Lawrie who might be ready to play. It looks like they r rly pushing NSWCup to go for the jugular and try make finals, as opposed to focussing on using it as a pathway to blood players.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
No Flegg, but NSW Cup is:

1. Lyhkan King-Togia
2. Sione Finau
3. Savelio Tamale
4. Jack Bird
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Fa’amanu Brown
7. Jonah Glover
8. Viliami Fifita
9. Connor Muhleisen
10. Alec Tuitavake
11. Dylan Egan
12. Dan Russell (c)
13. Ryan Couchman

Interchange​

14. Haele Finau
15. Michael Molo
16. Josh Coric
17. Jackson Shereb

Replacement Player​

18. Loko Pasifiki Tonga

That is a strong side add Blocka or Sloan and they could beat Tigers FG.
All fulltime contracted players play before part timers.
Benny could of be MoM but still got dropped.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
That is a strong side add Blocka or Sloan and they could beat Tigers FG.
All fulltime contracted players play before part timers.
Benny could of be MoM but still got dropped.
I have heard that expression before at our club, I assume its a long-held view that predates Flanno and I'm assuming its not all clubs. Do you agree with the approach?
  • The positive for it, is that playing your best side... and increasing the chance to win in all grades.. means more chance of finals which is great experience.. and it also means players learn the feeling of winning. The other positive is contracted players are match-fit if indeed they are needed (though we are so deep in certain positions... Shereb/Russell in particular would never be promoted).
  • The negative is we are burning development time on several guys who wont be here next year, time that could have gone into guys like Johnson and Tonga and perhaps some guys in the Flegg side who we are trying to bring through to 1st grade... you could argue the side may even be better.
I've heard Gould a few times talking about the lower grades.. that winning is nice, but the purpose of lower grade is development pure and simple... you could read that a few ways.. so I find our approach really interesting, but also conversative.