NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Another good win takes us up to 5th on for and against. Tamale was very good at fullback, an outstanding stop on their winger. Defence inside our red zone was very impressive today. Panthers had 54 tackles in our red zone and scored 2 tries. The coach has done well with this team. 26 - 10

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
thanks for descriptions @jodragon40

Who were our best? Sounds like you were impressed with Tamale.
Tamale was very good. Glover got us around the park in atrocious conditions. All our backs went well I'd suggest they all managed 100m bringing the ball out. I thought it was a good disciplined win and good wet weather footy playing mostly well to the conditions. We were never in danger of losing when your red zone defence was in my view up to 1st grade standard.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Glover got us around the park in atrocious conditions
Good signs if we need a genuine game manager for Firsts.
The picks of the pack? Vili Fifita not chosen. Fear he may be on the outer as he can have the odd brain explosion. Pity as reckon he has masses of potential.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flegg boys 2 tries down right side then completely outplayed after that.
SGB boys struggled with the extra pace of game.
Jake had some good runs
Tyler came on to wing when Jesse was ruled out HIA after mid air collision. He played last 15min at FB , threw intercept pass for Penrith try.
Ward had a shocker.
Afu replaced just after half time hip drop tackle on his ankle.
They really missed Nick T

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Flegg boys 2 tries down right side then completely outplayed after that.
SGB boys struggled with the extra pace of game.
Jake had some good runs
Tyler came on to wing when Jesse was ruled out HIA after mid air collision. He played last 15min at FB , threw intercept pass for Penrith try.
Ward had a shocker.
Afu replaced just after half time hip drop tackle on his ankle.
Interesting. What are you thoughts on LKT? Seemed a bit lackluster in the Cup game. How did Stanley-Traill go?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Impressive in the Red V was teenage centre Hayden Buchanan. He was recently singled out by club legend Jason Nightingale on the Fox League Podcast as a future NRL player and the 18-year-old didn’t disappoint.

Buchanan, who captained the Steelers’ SG Ball side earlier this year and was a joint winner of their Player of the Year award, finished with a try assist, a linebreak and 128 running metres.

Eric

Staff

NSW Cup: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

Jersey Flegg: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

1. Savelio Tamale
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Hayden Buchanan
  5. Christian Tuipulotu
  6. Lyhkan King-Togia
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Alec Tuitavake
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Josh Coric
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Michael Molo

14. Haele Finau
  15. Jackson Shereb
  16. Levi Pascoe
  17. Thomas Freebairn

18. Cooper Roberts
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Cain Barnes
  3. Will Starling
  4. Benjamin Lavender
  5. Ethan Cliff
  6. Nicholas Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  9. Kyan Hjaltason
  10. Jett Liu
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. Hamish Stewart

14. Tyler Peckham-Harris
  15. Jacob Webster
  16. Finau Latu
  17. Cyrus Stanley-Traill

18. Ryan Hutchinson
  • #1 had a blinder a lot of people commented on but I'm more interested in how #4 goes. Based on last week, he's a special to line up as a centre in the NRL in round 1 next year.
  • I thought #10 and #16 were both better than the more highly rated #8. And #15 was good as well.
  • I can't quite work out why #14 has never been talked about as playing in the NRL. Seems better than Brown and Muhleisen to me.
  • Hopefully #6 gets a bit more involved this week. Seemed a bit nervous or down on confidence at this level.
  • A bad loss last week but good to see several of the SG Ball players get another chance.
  • #11 and #12 is tackle breaking gun backrow combo. #11 was out last week.
  • What is the name of that big prop from the SB Ball team who has been talked about for it seems years already? I wonder why he isn't getting a game in Flegg. Deemed not good enough yet or something else?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Jacob Halangahu
Is Jake still at school? Must be as he has been named as captain for Patrician Bros in the Schoolboy Cup. He has had a mind boggling last two years, played for his country and won a premiership with the Dragons.Talk is St Pats have two promising halves, so Jake may be able to influence them to join him and Finau Latu at the Dragons. If not our scouts must get in first before the Panthers do..

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I can't quite work out why #14 has never been talked about as playing in the NRL.
I see Haele joining his brother Sione if he continues his current form. Has a good turn of pace, a deceptive step and ball skills, something , most of our past hookers lacked. Liddle has pace and is a good defender, that is about his limited skillset.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

NSW Cup: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

Jersey Flegg: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

1. Savelio Tamale
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Hayden Buchanan
  5. Christian Tuipulotu
  6. Lyhkan King-Togia
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Alec Tuitavake
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Josh Coric
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Michael Molo

14. Haele Finau
  15. Jackson Shereb
  16. Levi Pascoe
  17. Thomas Freebairn

18. Cooper Roberts
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Cain Barnes
  3. Will Starling
  4. Benjamin Lavender
  5. Ethan Cliff
  6. Nicholas Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  9. Kyan Hjaltason
  10. Jett Liu
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. Hamish Stewart

14. Tyler Peckham-Harris
  15. Jacob Webster
  16. Finau Latu
  17. Cyrus Stanley-Traill

18. Ryan Hutchinson
  • #1 had a blinder a lot of people commented on but I'm more interested in how #4 goes. Based on last week, he's a special to line up as a centre in the NRL in round 1 next year.
  • I thought #10 and #16 were both better than the more highly rated #8. And #15 was good as well.
  • I can't quite work out why #14 has never been talked about as playing in the NRL. Seems better than Brown and Muhleisen to me.
  • Hopefully #6 gets a bit more involved this week. Seemed a bit nervous or down on confidence at this level.
  • A bad loss last week but good to see several of the SG Ball players get another chance.
  • #11 and #12 is tackle breaking gun backrow combo. #11 was out last week.
  • What is the name of that big prop from the SB Ball team who has been talked about for it seems years already? I wonder why he isn't getting a game in Flegg. Deemed not good enough yet or something else?
Loko is the prop, he has played last 4 weeks.
Fans screaming for SG ball players to be included and even wanting more in but the last 4 weeks since they have been pushed through Flegg have won 1 from 4.
There needs to be a balance of experience and combinations.
It's still a big step up to Flegg for some.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Loko is the prop, he has played last 4 weeks.
Fans screaming for SG ball players to be included and even wanting more in but the last 4 weeks since they have been pushed through Flegg have won 1 from 4.
There needs to be a balance of experience and combinations.
It's still a big step up to Flegg for some.
Analysis = true