OUR NEW HEAD COACH COMES HOME.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Welcome home Shane Flanagan. Was unknown to me before yesterday, that Flanno was a St George Junior so in essence he is returning to his roots.
Hats off to our Board for finally seeing that working in the club's best interests was the only way forward.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Yes Flanno, welcome aboard again mate!! Our Board finally saw that working in the club's best interests was the only way forward.

Was unknown to me before yesterday, that Flanno was a St George Junior so in essence he is returning to his roots.
I'm much happier with this than Ryles. Thanks Jason, you aren't needed or wanted around the Dragons ever going forward.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno's History:
Shane Flanagan played S. G. Ball Cup, Jersey Flegg Cup, and President's Cup for St. George Dragons prior to making his first-grade debut for the club in 1987, but only made three first-grade appearances in 1987, he made none in 1988 before deciding to join the Western Suburbs Magpies the following year. In round 8, Flanagan scored his first top-grade try in a tight victory over St. George at Kogarah Oval, the Dragons spiritual home, the scene of many of their Golden Era triumphs and the place where a young Shane Flanagan probably dreamed of playing out his career.
After being a regular starter at hooker in 1989 and 1990, he played only five games in 1991 under new coach Warren Ryan, with Ryan preferring new recruit Joe Thomas in the hooking role. His last game for the Magpies was a winning play-off for fifth spot, which allowed the Magpies to make their first semi-finals appearance since 1982.
...to be continued

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
I feel a renewed sense of hope with Flanno's appointment. Clearly he has a soft spot for his his birth club, but has spent a long time away, returning only in 2020.
I'm also happy with this. I can't believe how they went after Ryles but think we dodged a bullet. In an already successful team like Melbourne, he might do well but a rookie coach to rebuild the Dragons is really something only a few morons on the board thought was a good idea.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Up till as late as Monday there was media talk that sections of the BOD were holding out against Flanno. So what induced them to change their minds so there was a unamimous vote.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Up till as late as Monday there was media talk that sections of the BOD were holding out against Flanno. So what induced them to change their minds so there was a unamimous vote.
I read somewhere here, on the multiple threads about the coach, board and etc, the reason is that the media spotlight suddenly started shining on the board and they didn't like that at all. So they for a changed acted in the best interests of the club and team because on this occasion, that also was in their best interests.

The only problem I have is that I'd like Flanagan and Manly to part ways immediately so that he can spend all his time preparing for next year and onward.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Reckon Flanno will want to keep Ryan Carr on what he is showing as an interim, tho maybe not his fellow assistant Ben Wolffe, who as defense coach has not delivered. Some talk Flanno may bring his old Sharkies mate John Morris to assist him.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The only problem I have is that I'd like Flanagan and Manly to part ways immediately so that he can spend all his time preparing for next year and onward.
Agree.
Perhaps Eric Eric can now close the other obsolete coach threads and we use this one permanently.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently Flanno and Hunt are good buddies as they live near each other and may even socialize. So what we dont want is another coach that plays favorites, with Flanno stating that he intends playing him at half.This is imho tantamount to giving Hunt what he wants whether it is the club's best interests or not. Certainly not if it means Sully walking.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently Flanno and Hunt are good buddies as they live near each other and may even socialize. So what we dont want is another coach that plays favorites, with Flanno stating that he intends playing him at half.This is imho tantamount to giving Hunt what he wants whether it is the club's best interests or not. Certainly not if it means Sully walking.
I think Flanno is a true professional. I thought that about Griffin but it quickly became clear he had his "untouchables". Hunt, Bird, Macca, McGuire, Mbye to name a few.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Million dollar superstar Ben Hunt, who can negotiate with rials from November 1, has found himself out of the halves and starting at hooker under interim coach Ryan Carr despite making it clear he wants to wear the No.7 jersey.
This is wrong. He's under contract. He can only negotiate with rivals if he club gives him permission. Which in my view it should if he is really still agitating for a release or if he thinks he can tell the coach what is what in regards to where he plays.

Now James Hooper has revealed at least three rival clubs are circling with Phil Gould and the Bulldogs having already met with him.

“I heard as recently as today that power brokers have met with Ben Hunt. They have sat down with him,” Hooper said on NRL360. “They can’t table anything, he’s under contract so they can’t be seen to do anything that’s outside the parameters of the rules. “But it’s as simple as a conversation ‘look if you’re not happy with the way that things have transpired and you do decide that you would like to have a change then we will be all ears’. “And they’re not the only ones, there’s a couple of clubs in Queensland as well, the Titans and the Cowboys.”

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This is wrong. He's under contract. He can only negotiate with rivals if he club gives him permission. Which in my view it should if he is really still agitating for a release or if he thinks he can tell the coach what is what in regards to where he plays.

Like I wrote yesterday I dont think Hunt had to force Flanno to keep him at half. Flanno has been signed yet other clubs circling our ''superstar'' chuckle chuckle. Gould is one. I think now Hunt has gotten his way with his position and his new coach is a friend, he is now a cert to play out his two year contract.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Like I wrote yesterday I dont think Hunt had to force Flanno to keep him at half. Flanno has been signed yet other clubs circling our ''superstar'' chuckle chuckle. Gould is one. I think now Hunt has gotten his way with his position and his new coach is a friend, he is now a cert to play out his two year contract.
Flanno should get back on the phone with him, tell him to put the speculation to bed or he'll be out no matter what he wants.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If anyone can turn Hunt into a good game manager it will be Flanno. But what will he do with Junior and Sully who currently favor taking on the defense over ball playing. Who does he see out of the pair as Hunts best partner. Will Flanno persevere with Sloan at fullback or recognize he is more of a natural organizer than the others and shift him into the halves.

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think Flano will be all over it, Bud, won't be going anywhere. May have to play 5/8 , but that's in the halves. Can move to halfback in a couple of years. Flanno has amazing
communication skills. The players normally love Flanno. Also love to play for him.

Eric

Staff
I think Flano will be all over it, Bud, won't be going anywhere. May have to play 5/8 , but that's in the halves. Can move to halfback in a couple of years. Flanno has amazing
communication skills. The players normally love Flanno. Also love to play for him.
If anyone can turn Hunt into a good game manager it will be Flanno. But what will he do with Junior and Sully who currently favor taking on the defense over ball playing. Who does he see out of the pair as Hunts best partner. Will Flanno persevere with Sloan at fullback or recognize he is more of a natural organizer than the others and shift him into the halves.
A lot of optimism in regard to Flanno. I am as well. It still boggles the mind as to what the board were thinking in trying to get Ryles rather than Flanno.

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
A lot of optimism in regard to Flanno. I am as well. It still boggles the mind as to what the board were thinking in trying to get Ryles rather than Flanno.
Yes,agree good question. Flanno was the right man,
All along. DOUST was the one stopping Shane's progression. DOUST should now be shown the door. ASAP.