Promising Juniors Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Have you ever seen a kid Ackers age make so much impact in a match. Scattered defenses like they were flies, offloads with rare skill and is fearless in defense. Some of those dump tackles he pulled off had the ground shaking. Does he kick goals too?

Reactions: QDF

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Corey has just finished his third season of Harold Matts and trained and almost played with Flegg this season. So expect to see him among their ranks next year. He is on our books until '24. We may have a seriously good forward on our hands in a couple of years.
FO said this; " The club has high hopes for him. He hits like a axe and we are looking at developing his ball playing skills further".

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
This 17 year old powerhouse is a fitting debutant for this new thread that showcases the best of our junior footballers.

Corey Ackers: St George Dragons JRL. Harrold Matts
I'm not sure about the experience of others but I knew a guy, a year above me in HS. A middle forward phenomenon since he was at least 13 (I started HS when I was 12). Hardly grew so by the time he was signed by an NRL club, he was a classic middle forward, JDB-like but with the build of our resident snail (McCullough) so he never made it.

I knew another guy, always average at very best. Couldn't make the HS 17. Just kept growing after HS and played a lot of NRL. Massive guy now! Never reached any great heights in the NRL but made it.

Moral of the story, Ackers looks very promising but lets not put our hopes on him just yet.

Coachman on the other hand is ready to go next season.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Like you I'm confident and hopeful but cautiously so. Remember Beau Henry, Evander Cummins, Cameron King for example?
Three backs. Just a theory but backs have more skills to develop if they want to stand out, specially halves or hookers. Whereas the prop forward , relies more on brute power, bulk and strength to bust a line. Skills such as an off load are a bonus. Ackers already shows exceptional bonus skills.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Like you I'm confident and hopeful but cautiously so. Remember Beau Henry, Evander Cummins, Cameron King for example?
I understand what you are saying but Evander Cummins isn't a good example. The fans rated him, the club didn't. The fans were up in arms when the club didn't want to sign him after he was too old for Toyota Cup. The club was proved right.
Three backs. Just a theory but backs have more skills to develop if they want to stand out, specially halves or hookers. Whereas engine room forwards, specially props, rely more on brute power to bust a line. Skills such as an off load are a bonus. Ackers already shows exceptional bonus skills.
Except Cameron King.

Eric

Staff
Three backs. Just a theory but backs have more skills to develop if they want to stand out, specially halves or hookers. Whereas engine room forwards, specially props, rely more on brute power to bust a line. Skills such as an off load are a bonus. Ackers already shows exceptional bonus skills.
I understand what you are saying but Evander Cummins isn't a good example. The fans rated him, the club didn't. The fans were up in arms when the club didn't want to sign him after he was too old for Toyota Cup. The club was proved right.

Except Cameron King.
Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean any criticism or didn't mean to cast any doubt on Ackers. All I'm calling for is caution.
The fans rated him, the club didn't.
Ok. How about trying Jake Stockwell on for size? There were massive wraps on him from the club and fans.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Are we talking about below Flegg or Flegg and below? I mean, younger rather than below. Below in age.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Plenty of promising juniors in this S G Ball local derby from this year. We were talking about the need for future big units in the pack, specially in the engine room. St George had some hulking pacific islander props whose names I dont recall while the Steelers had Couchman and Webster in their engine room, both are big and good metre eaters, with additional pace and ball skills from Couchman.
Illawarra Steelers SG Ball 2022 Round v St George Dragons: Round 6

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Plenty of promising juniors in this S G Ball local derby from this year. We were talking about the need for future big units in the pack, specially in the engine room. St George had some hulking pacific islander props whose names I dont recall while the Steelers had Couchman and Webster in their engine room, both are big and good metre eaters, with additional pace and ball skills from Couchman.
That name Coachman just keeps coming up. I think he's the real deal.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean any criticism or didn't mean to cast any doubt on Ackers. All I'm calling for is caution.

Ok. How about trying Jake Stockwell on for size? There were massive wraps on him from the club and fans.
Stockwell played for the New South Wales Residents against the Queensland Residents in 2012 he was named at prop in the 2012 New South Wales Cup Team of the Year. Later capping off a great year with inclusion for the Junior Kangaroos against the Junior Kiwis.

He makes a good example for your argument. I now recall Stockwell. Was always pushing for him to produce more than he did.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Stockwell played for the New South Wales Residents against the Queensland Residents in 2012 he was named at prop in the 2012 New South Wales Cup Team of the Year. Later capping off a great year with inclusion for the Junior Kangaroos against the Junior Kiwis.

He makes a good example for you argument. I now recall Stockwell. Was always pushing for him to produce more than he did.
Hard to figure out why Stockwell was so dominant in juniors but so poor in first grade. Was certainly big enough, fast enough, didn't have hands like feet and fit enough.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That name Coachman just keeps coming up. I think he's the real deal.
I didn't realise, Couchman is under 19. He's so big and was so good in Jersey Flegg I just presumed he was 20.