Promising Juniors Thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Apart from Melbourne, how many other really good QLD players don't play for QLD clubs when they first start playing first grade?
Lindsy Collins. Lucky he's so big otherwise he'd cop hell for having a girls name.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Another Qld school kid is heading our way. A 17 yr old giant named Loko Pasifika Tonga is 194cm and 122kg. He is from the same school as Joven Gyemore, Ipswich High, which took out the Langer Trophy this year.
Only footage I've been able to find of his school. I expect he is the big bopper (#10) for the side in red and blue.

Boy if that is Loko he sure played a lazy first 20 mins. Had one hit up and no clean tackles.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Another Qld school kid is heading our way. A 17 yr old giant named Loko Pasifika Tonga is 194cm and 122kg. He is from the same school as Joven Gyemore, Ipswich High, which took out the Langer Trophy this year.
Only footage I've been able to find of his school. I expect he is the big bopper (#10) for the side in red and blue.

Boy if that is Loko he sure played a lazy first 20 mins. Had one hit up and no clean tackles.

Be nice to think laziness can be trained/baked out of people but in reality, probably not.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
This is the real deal Loko (left) Joven the other pic. Go the hair do.
1670550588163.png
Loko is originally from Melbourne. Went north looking for an opportunity. This is what he said when the Dragons came a calling.
“I was pretty shocked at first when I got the call from Craig, my agent, saying the Dragons want to have a meeting.
I had a little cry at school with the boys.”

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Be nice to think laziness can be trained/baked out of people but in reality, probably not.
Mate I am relieved that boy in the match is not the one we signed. He was LAZY. Big yes, but lumbering.

Getting a little excited about the pack we may have in five years. The Couchman twins, Coric, Sherab, Webster, Ackers and Loko. We need to keep these juniors and nurture them.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Mate I am relieved that boy in the match is not the one we signed. He was LAZY. Big yes, but lumbering.

Getting a little excited about the pack we may have in five years. The Couchman twins, Coric, Sherab, Webster, Ackers and Loko. We need to keep these juniors and nurture them.
Yep. The foundation of a long term pack there.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Do you know why the other Couchman didn't play in Flegg last year?

Eric

Staff
Do you know why the other Couchman didn't play in Flegg last year?
Nope. Not up to Toby's standard. Injured maybe. Dont recall anything said to explain why in their interview.
What is certain, if they are near as good in the NRL as they have been in juniors, the club has two JDB's on it's hands! I mean, on the field. He didn't commit a crime but what he did while his GF was at home pregnant wasn't great.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What is certain, if they are near as good in the NRL as they have been in juniors, the club has two JDB's on it's hands! I mean, on the field. He didn't commit a crime but what he did while his GF was at home pregnant wasn't great.
Thanks to the moral police for weighing in.

Eric

Staff

Haele Finau​

Club: St George Illawarra Dragons​

Position: Hooker

From the Melbourne Storm system but has made the move to Wollongong with his talented brother Sione, who is an outside back. Haele has great vision and loves to back himself with his speed out of dummy half. Arrived on a train-and-trial deal but has really impressed.

This guy is in his 20s and couldn't get a look in at Melbourne even when their 2 first choice hookers were unavailable. His brother is a much brighter propect.

Eric

Staff

Joshua Coric​

Position: Prop

Powerfully built Albion Park product who Anthony Griffin said would have debuted towards the back end of last season if not for injury. So he is certainly thereabouts on the back of so many departures among the forwards.

That's more like it.

Eric

Staff

Jackson Shereb​

Position: Back-rower

Another of the premiership-winning SG Ball team who is edging closer to getting his NRL call-up. A real athlete with speed and skill.

Been big wraps on his for a while. Definitely a very good athlete. Let's just hope he is tough enough and hardworking enough to take advantage of his athletic ability.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Joshua Coric​

Powerfully built Albion Park product who Anthony Griffin said would have debuted towards the back end of last season if not for injury. So he is certainly thereabouts on the back of so many departures among the forwards.

That's more like it.
Unfortunately he won't be available until round 10. But definitely need one more good prop. Frank Molo, Hooks big money recruit didn't cut it at all last season!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately he won't be available until round 10. But definitely need one more good prop. Frank Molo, Hooks big money recruit didn't cut it at all last season!
Really need J. Hunt to come good this season or Dragons will have the worst engineroom in the competition.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Joshua Coric​

St George Illawarra Dragons​

That's more like it.

Jackson Shereb​

St George Illawarra Dragons​

Position: Back-rower

Another of the premiership-winning SG Ball team who is edging closer to getting his NRL call-up. A real athlete with speed and skill.

Been big wraps on his for a while. Definitely a very good athlete. Let's just hope he is tough enough and hardworking enough to take advantage of his athletic ability.
How long has it been since juniors from the forwards have made it at this club? Blake Lawrie would be the last one. Even though he was really good in the second half of last season, until that, he was a fringe first grader. Before that, you'd have to go back to Jack de Belin!

Eric

Staff
6 spots available. Would be nice if Kerr moved on. Get a deal in the ESL for a few years. He's not tough enough for the NRL.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Top 30 spots to fill: 4​

Available development contracts: 2​

RYAN COUCHMAN and TOBY COUCHMAN (both second row)

The local juniors — and identical twins — have been given their first NRL pre-season opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball this year. The pair prefer the second row but spent some time last season at prop too. The brothers share a bit of friendly competition but Ryan got the jump last year when he was named in the Australian Schoolboys merit team. Toby responded by earning selection for NSW in the Under 19s Origin this year playing two NSW Cup games.

DYLAN EGAN (second row/centre)

The Gerringong Lions junior captained Kiama High to a grand final win in the NSW State Combined High Schools competition in September and was named player of the tournament. Like the Couchman brothers, Dylan Egan gets his opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball earlier this year and his speed has impressed.

I definitely hope these 3 are in the 6.

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

Victorian-born Haele Finau joins the Dragons from the Storm system after spending the last two seasons playing for Queensland Cup feeder side Brisbane Tigers. The 22-year-old has impressed early and is said to be a good chance of landing a Top 30 deal. His younger brother, Sione — a winger — has also joined the club on a one-year development deal.

Probably not though Sam Hooper is an interesting omission from this group.

ZACH HERRING (halves)

The five-eighth has progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades and spent majority of 2022 in Jersey Flegg but get seven games in NSW Cup. He had a standout game in Round 19, setting up three tries, running for 112 metres, getting five tackle busts and making 22 tackles. A Wollongong product, Herring is most at home in the halves but can also cover hooker if need be.

Club is awash in halves and hookers at present. Not sure if he's still eligible for Flegg but will probably have to spend another year in Flegg and/or NSW Cup.

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

The 21-year-old spent most of the season in Jersey Flegg but was rewarded with a NSW Cup debut in the final round — and celebrated with a try. Johnson has impressed veteran prop Aaron Woods, who believes he’s physically ready to take on the big boys.

He's already a big boy. Reminds me of that huge guy, whose name I forget, who went to Penrith but is now looking at CRL. Was really good in the lower grades because he was just so big but in the open age group where others are just as big or bigger than him, he couldn't make it.

ALEX LOBB (winger)

The 20-year-old goalkicking outside back has progressed through the Dragons’ system featuring in the club’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup sides. He played 10 games on the wing in Cup last season, scoring in four consecutive games. Away from the field Lobb is studying a Bachelor of Exercise Science.

I hope he's one. Really need some speed on the wing.

DAN RUSSELL (second row/centre)

At 27-years old Dan Russell is a bit of a late-bloomer but has a lot to offer. He arrives to the Dragons with 85 games worth of Queensland Cup experience and has previously spent time in the Cowboys’ top squad. Russell is a Papua New Guinea international, featuring in both the mid-season Test and the World Cup — and it was PNG’s coaching director Shane Flanagan who helped him land the train-and-trial back in June.

We have enough QLD Cup journeymen. Coach Griffin loves them!

TREIGH STEWART (fullback)

The Batemans Bay product caught the eye of the Dragons back in 2018 when he was named Player of the Year for the Laurie Daley Cup. He’s been in the Red V system ever since and was a part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone. The 21-year-old is a speedy fullback that has also played on the wing. One to keep an eye on.

I was really impressed by him! Now Ramsey is out for at least the first few weeks of the season, I think he's a big chance. Specially if he can pack on a few kgs in the off season and be a good winger even though his best position is obviously fullback.

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

The local junior featured in SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup this year — and earnt a call-up for NSW’s under 19s Origin team.

Another who I hope makes the cut!

So if it were me, I'd select the Couchmans, Dylan Egan, Alexander Lobb, Treigh Stewart and Jacob Webster.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
6 spots available. Would be nice if Kerr moved on. Get a deal in the ESL for a few years. He's not tough enough for the NRL.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Top 30 spots to fill- 4​

Available development contracts: 2​

RYAN COUCHMAN and TOBY COUCHMAN (both second row)

The local juniors — and identical twins — have been given their first NRL pre-season opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball this year. The pair prefer the second row but spent some time last season at prop too. The brothers share a bit of friendly competition but Ryan got the jump last year when he was named in the Australian Schoolboys merit team. Toby responded by earning selection for NSW in the Under 19s Origin this year playing two NSW Cup games.

DYLAN EGAN (second row/centre)

The Gerringong Lions junior captained Kiama High to a grand final win in the NSW State Combined High Schools competition in September and was named player of the tournament. Like the Couchman brothers, Dylan Egan gets his opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball earlier this year and his speed has impressed.

I definitely hope these 3 are in the 6.

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

Victorian-born Haele Finau joins the Dragons from the Storm system after spending the last two seasons playing for Queensland Cup feeder side Brisbane Tigers. The 22-year-old has impressed early and is said to be a good chance of landing a Top 30 deal. His younger brother, Sione — a winger — has also joined the club on a one-year development deal.

Probably not though Sam Hooper is an interesting omission from this group.

ZACH HERRING (halves)

The five-eighth has progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades and spent majority of 2022 in Jersey Flegg but get seven games in NSW Cup. He had a standout game in Round 19, setting up three tries, running for 112 metres, getting five tackle busts and making 22 tackles. A Wollongong product, Herring is most at home in the halves but can also cover hooker if need be.

Club is awash in halves and hookers at present. Not sure if he's still eligible for Flegg but will probably have to spend another year in Flegg and/or NSW Cup.

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

The 21-year-old spent most of the season in Jersey Flegg but was rewarded with a NSW Cup debut in the final round — and celebrated with a try. Johnson has impressed veteran prop Aaron Woods, who believes he’s physically ready to take on the big boys.

He's already a big boy. Reminds me of that huge guy, whose name I forget, who went to Penrith but is now looking at CRL. Was really good in the lower grades because he was just so big but in the open age group where others are just as big or bigger than him, he couldn't make it.

ALEX LOBB (winger)

The 20-year-old goalkicking outside back has progressed through the Dragons’ system featuring in the club’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup sides. He played 10 games on the wing in Cup last season, scoring in four consecutive games. Away from the field Lobb is studying a Bachelor of Exercise Science.

I hope he's one. Really need some speed on the wing.

DAN RUSSELL (second row/centre)

At 27-years old Dan Russell is a bit of a late-bloomer but has a lot to offer. He arrives to the Dragons with 85 games worth of Queensland Cup experience and has previously spent time in the Cowboys’ top squad. Russell is a Papua New Guinea international, featuring in both the mid-season Test and the World Cup — and it was PNG’s coaching director Shane Flanagan who helped him land the train-and-trial back in June.

We have enough QLD Cup journeymen. Coach Griffin loves them!

TREIGH STEWART (fullback)

The Batemans Bay product caught the eye of the Dragons back in 2018 when he was named Player of the Year for the Laurie Daley Cup. He’s been in the Red V system ever since and was a part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone. The 21-year-old is a speedy fullback that has also played on the wing. One to keep an eye on.

I was really impressed by him! Now Ramsey is out for at least the first few weeks of the season, I think he's a big chance. Specially if he can pack on a few kgs in the off season and be a good winger even though his best position is obviously fullback.

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

The local junior featured in SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup this year — and earnt a call-up for NSW’s under 19s Origin team.

Another who I hope makes the cut!

So if it were me, I'd select the Couchmans, Dylan Egan, Alexander Lobb, Treigh Stewart and Jacob Webster.
That looks like an embarrassment of riches!