Promising Juniors Thread.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Corey has just finished his third season of Harold Matts and trained and almost played with Flegg this season. So expect to see him among their ranks next year. He is on our books until '24. We may have a seriously good forward on our hands in a couple of years.
FO said this; " The club has high hopes for him. He hits like a axe and we are looking at developing his ball playing skills further".
So my prediction of being competitive in 2025 is looking better let's hope the RR Team ensure we have the ability to keep this junior

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Good one! He looks almost ready for first grade now! Is he 17 next year?
No is 17 in the '21 clip. So 18 this year. I agree he looks more destructive than any prop that went round for us this year. Genuine prop that is.. not a fill in like JDB. Bit deceiving tho as some of these older NRL level Pacific islanders are even bigger than this kid. The mind boggles how many extra kilos Ngarima will add to his frame by the time he is ready for Firsts .

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
No is 17 in the '21 clip. So 18 this year. I agree he looks more destructive than any prop that went round for us this year. Genuine prop that is.. not a fill in like JDB. trouble is some of these older Pacific islanders NRL guys are even bigger than this kid. The mind boggles how many extra kilos Ngarima will add to his frame by the time he reaches Firsts .
I hope he doesn't gain too many more so that it takes away from his mobility. That length of the field try, it looks like when he was playing for NSW Country, was incredible. I've never seen that from a prop at any level before. Let alone at rep level.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I hope he doesn't gain too many more so that it takes away from his mobility. That length of the field try, it looks like when he was playing for NSW Country, was incredible. I've never seen that from a prop at any level before. Let alone at rep level.
That was very impressive. He looked to me like an upgraded Andrew Fifita in his prime. Big, very big, ball skills along with very hard running. I wonder how his stamina is.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Was thinking the very same. An exceptional try given his size. He showed incredible pace too to beat the cover. Agree too much extra beef will take away his mobility.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That was very impressive. He looked to me like an upgraded Andrew Fifita in his prime. Big, very big, ball skills along with very hard running. I wonder how his stamina is.
You can see him in Steelers Ball game replays from this year on YT. Looked like a man mountain in Matts Cup but not so big in the next level up. Specially when compared to some other Pacific islanders.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Personally, I'm really looking forward to the top 30 being announced. I think Coric is going to be named from the promising juniors and 3 or 4 others. No idea who they will be.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Damn. Really liked the look of this guy. Maybe it's a stamina problem. It's hard carrying that much weight around.
Stamina most likely as I watched him briefly in Ball Cup this season and he did not standout as he did in Matts Cup. In fact if anything he under achieved against blokes as big as him.
The club still has our other exciting powerhouse prospect St George junior Corey Ackers. He impresses me more than Ngarima to be honest by adding sledge hammer like defense to his range of skills. Still 17, one year in Ball Cup then Flegg Cup in '24. Hope his stamina can take the heat. I'll be spitting chips if we let this kid go before he has a chance to play Firsts.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
There are no promising juniors in the top 30 at this stage. Apart from Craig Young still insisting he did the right thing and agreeing to interviews in return for free feeds, no news at all coming out of the club.

Eric

Staff
There are no promising juniors in the top 30 at this stage. Apart from Craig Young still insisting he did the right thing and agreeing to interviews in return for free feeds, no news at all coming out of the club.
It's strange. 5 places left in the top 30 but I would have thought the 3 development players announced, Connor Muhleisen, Jackson Shereb and Josh Coric would be the first 3 local juniors picked in the top 30.

Eric

Staff

NEXT GEN

Sione is part of a rising crop of players in Wollongong eager to make their mark over the summer. Already, one youngster, Alexander Lobb is turning heads. “Lobby, he’s a winger. When we’re running he’s already in front. He is so quick and fit. He’s showing up all the NRL players,” Sione laughed. “He’s been flying through the conditioning sessions. Even in the gym, the winger is leading the way.

“He‘s set the standard, even in the gym. He lifts heaps. He’s a big boy. He was squatting 110 kilograms, real low, in the warm up. I’m thinking ‘Is he even a winger?’,” Haele laughed.

Good news re Lobb but really need two good middle forwards.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

NEXT GEN

Sione is part of a rising crop of players in Wollongong eager to make their mark over the summer. Already, one youngster, Alexander Lobb is turning heads. “Lobby, he’s a winger. When we’re running he’s already in front. He is so quick and fit. He’s showing up all the NRL players,” Sione laughed. “He’s been flying through the conditioning sessions. Even in the gym, the winger is leading the way.

“He‘s set the standard, even in the gym. He lifts heaps. He’s a big boy. He was squatting 110 kilograms, real low, in the warm up. I’m thinking ‘Is he even a winger?’,” Haele laughed.

Good news re Lobb but really need two good middle forwards.
Surely Couchman will be in the top 30. I'm surprised Coric is a development player and not top 30.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Did someone mention this lump of a lad. What a step for a big unit and an offload too. Will play Flegg this year.

Our talent scouts have been busy at the national schools comp with, bringing Carlos Pauli another school kid from north of the border here. Nothing on YT but Instagram has footage. Both he and Gyemore will play SG Ball for us.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Did someone mention this lump of a lad. What a step for a big unit and an offload too. Will play Flegg this year.

Our talent scouts have been busy at the national schools comp with, Carlos Pauli another school kid from from north of the border. Nothing on YT but Instagram has footage. Both he and Gyemore will play SG Ball for us.

It's good the club is casting a wide net but my feeling is the QLD teams get the best QLD talent.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Yep like Cameron Smith, Cameron Munster, Billy Slater and others.✌️
Two things.
  1. There are always exceptions to the rule.
  2. Melbourne is basically a QLD team. QLD Cup teams serve as their feeder clubs.
Apart from Melbourne, how many other really good QLD players don't play for QLD clubs when they first start playing first grade?