Promising Juniors Thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
6 spots available. Would be nice if Kerr moved on. Get a deal in the ESL for a few years. He's not tough enough for the NRL.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Top 30 spots to fill: 4​

Available development contracts: 2​

RYAN COUCHMAN and TOBY COUCHMAN (both second row)

The local juniors — and identical twins — have been given their first NRL pre-season opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball this year. The pair prefer the second row but spent some time last season at prop too. The brothers share a bit of friendly competition but Ryan got the jump last year when he was named in the Australian Schoolboys merit team. Toby responded by earning selection for NSW in the Under 19s Origin this year playing two NSW Cup games.

DYLAN EGAN (second row/centre)

The Gerringong Lions junior captained Kiama High to a grand final win in the NSW State Combined High Schools competition in September and was named player of the tournament. Like the Couchman brothers, Dylan Egan gets his opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball earlier this year and his speed has impressed.

I definitely hope these 3 are in the 6.

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

Victorian-born Haele Finau joins the Dragons from the Storm system after spending the last two seasons playing for Queensland Cup feeder side Brisbane Tigers. The 22-year-old has impressed early and is said to be a good chance of landing a Top 30 deal. His younger brother, Sione — a winger — has also joined the club on a one-year development deal.

Probably not though Sam Hooper is an interesting omission from this group.

ZACH HERRING (halves)

The five-eighth has progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades and spent majority of 2022 in Jersey Flegg but get seven games in NSW Cup. He had a standout game in Round 19, setting up three tries, running for 112 metres, getting five tackle busts and making 22 tackles. A Wollongong product, Herring is most at home in the halves but can also cover hooker if need be.

Club is awash in halves and hookers at present. Not sure if he's still eligible for Flegg but will probably have to spend another year in Flegg and/or NSW Cup.

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

The 21-year-old spent most of the season in Jersey Flegg but was rewarded with a NSW Cup debut in the final round — and celebrated with a try. Johnson has impressed veteran prop Aaron Woods, who believes he’s physically ready to take on the big boys.

He's already a big boy. Reminds me of that huge guy, whose name I forget, who went to Penrith but is now looking at CRL. Was really good in the lower grades because he was just so big but in the open age group where others are just as big or bigger than him, he couldn't make it.

ALEX LOBB (winger)

The 20-year-old goalkicking outside back has progressed through the Dragons’ system featuring in the club’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup sides. He played 10 games on the wing in Cup last season, scoring in four consecutive games. Away from the field Lobb is studying a Bachelor of Exercise Science.

I hope he's one. Really need some speed on the wing.

DAN RUSSELL (second row/centre)

At 27-years old Dan Russell is a bit of a late-bloomer but has a lot to offer. He arrives to the Dragons with 85 games worth of Queensland Cup experience and has previously spent time in the Cowboys’ top squad. Russell is a Papua New Guinea international, featuring in both the mid-season Test and the World Cup — and it was PNG’s coaching director Shane Flanagan who helped him land the train-and-trial back in June.

We have enough QLD Cup journeymen. Coach Griffin loves them!

TREIGH STEWART (fullback)

The Batemans Bay product caught the eye of the Dragons back in 2018 when he was named Player of the Year for the Laurie Daley Cup. He’s been in the Red V system ever since and was a part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone. The 21-year-old is a speedy fullback that has also played on the wing. One to keep an eye on.

I was really impressed by him! Now Ramsey is out for at least the first few weeks of the season, I think he's a big chance. Specially if he can pack on a few kgs in the off season and be a good winger even though his best position is obviously fullback.

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

The local junior featured in SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup this year — and earnt a call-up for NSW’s under 19s Origin team.

Another who I hope makes the cut!

So if it were me, I'd select the Couchmans, Dylan Egan, Alexander Lobb, Treigh Stewart and Jacob Webster.
I think Webster or Egan will spend another year in the lower grades and Johnson will get a chance.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Been big wraps on his for a while. Definitely a very good athlete. Let's just hope he is tough enough and hardworking enough to take advantage of his athletic ability.
Shereb went missing in action in the Flegg semi. After that I'd not have been surprised if we let him go. But we have kept faith with him as he promises much evidently.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
6 spots available. Would be nice if Kerr moved on. Get a deal in the ESL for a few years. He's not tough enough for the NRL.

The local juniors — and identical twins — have been given their first NRL pre-season opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball this year. The pair prefer the second row but spent some time last season at prop too. The brothers share a bit of friendly competition but Ryan got the jump last year when he was named in the Australian Schoolboys merit team. Toby responded by earning selection for NSW in the Under 19s Origin this year playing two NSW Cup games.

The Gerringong Lions junior captained Kiama High to a grand final win in the NSW State Combined High Schools competition in September and was named player of the tournament. Like the Couchman brothers, Dylan Egan gets his opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball earlier this year and his speed has impressed.

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

Victorian-born Haele Finau joins the Dragons from the Storm system after spending the last two seasons playing for Queensland Cup feeder side Brisbane Tigers. The 22-year-old has impressed early and is said to be a good chance of landing a Top 30 deal. His younger brother, Sione — a winger — has also joined the club on a one-year development deal.

ZACH HERRING (halves)

The five-eighth has progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades and spent majority of 2022 in Jersey Flegg but get seven games in NSW Cup. He had a standout game in Round 19, setting up three tries, running for 112 metres, getting five tackle busts and making 22 tackles. A Wollongong product, Herring is most at home in the halves but can also cover hooker if need be.

Club is awash in halves and hookers at present. Not sure if he's still eligible for Flegg but will probably have to spend another year in Flegg and/or NSW Cup.

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

The 21-year-old spent most of the season in Jersey Flegg but was rewarded with a NSW Cup debut in the final round — and celebrated with a try. Johnson has impressed veteran prop Aaron Woods, who believes he’s physically ready to take on the big boys.

He's already a big boy. Reminds me of that huge guy, whose name I forget, who went to Penrith but is now looking at CRL. Was really good in the lower grades because he was just so big but in the open age group where others are just as big or bigger than him, he couldn't make it.

ALEX LOBB (winger)

The 20-year-old goalkicking outside back has progressed through the Dragons’ system featuring in the club’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup sides. He played 10 games on the wing in Cup last season, scoring in four consecutive games. Away from the field Lobb is studying a Bachelor of Exercise Science.

At 27-years old Dan Russell is a bit of a late-bloomer but has a lot to offer. He arrives to the Dragons with 85 games worth of Queensland Cup experience and has previously spent time in the Cowboys’ top squad. Russell is a Papua New Guinea international, featuring in both the mid-season Test and the World Cup — and it was PNG’s coaching director Shane Flanagan who helped him land the train-and-trial back in June.

The Batemans Bay product caught the eye of the Dragons back in 2018 when he was named Player of the Year for the Laurie Daley Cup. He’s been in the Red V system ever since and was a part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone. The 21-year-old is a speedy fullback that has also played on the wing. One to keep an eye on.

I was really impressed by him! Now Ramsey is out for at least the first few weeks of the season, I think he's a big chance. Specially if he can pack on a few kgs in the off season and be a good winger even though his best position is obviously fullback.

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

The local junior featured in SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup this year — and earnt a call-up for NSW’s under 19s Origin team.

So if it were me, I'd select the Couchmans, Dylan Egan, Alexander Lobb, Treigh Stewart and Jacob Webster.
The Couchmans, Coric, Lobb. Four top 30 spots to fill.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

ZACH HERRING (halves)

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

ALEX LOBB (winger)

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

A lot of young forwards there. I guess that answers the question of why the club is so inactive in the market when Angus Crighton was available and Matt Lodge and by all reports, Luke Thompson being available.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

Maybe you are thinking of Eddie Blacker. Runs too much upright and gets gang tackled and pushed back despite his size.

Eric

Staff

History set to repeat' as Dragons bank on boom twins​

Thirroul Butchers products Ryan and Toby Couchman are a couple of strapping 19-year-old backrowers on train and trial deals who have been turning heads in the pre-season with their attitude and commitment.

Was too bad Josh had to leave but club was so stacked without outside backs at the time. But no reason at all either of these two have to leave.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

History set to repeat' as Dragons bank on boom twins​

Thirroul Butchers products Ryan and Toby Couchman are a couple of strapping 19-year-old backrowers on train and trial deals who have been turning heads in the pre-season with their attitude and commitment.

Was too bad Josh had to leave but club was so stacked without outside backs at the time. But no reason at all either of these two have to leave.
Need these two and two more like them.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Need these two and two more like them.
In that case, lucky we do have two more like them. Shereb already on a development deal and:

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
In that case, lucky we do have two more like them. Shereb already on a development deal and:

Still in high school. If he is ready for a top 30 contract next year, we may have another David Fifita on our hands!

Eric

Staff

Joshua Coric​

Club: St George Illawarra Dragons

Position: Prop
Powerfully built Albion Park product who Anthony Griffin said would have debuted towards the back end of last season if not for injury. So he is certainly thereabouts on the back of so many departures among the forwards.

Jackson Shereb​

Position: Back-rower
Another of the premiership-winning SG Ball team who is edging closer to getting his NRL call-up. A real athlete with speed and skill.

Haele Finau​

Position: Hooker
From the Melbourne Storm system but has made the move to Wollongong with his talented brother Sione, who is an outside back. Haele has great vision and loves to back himself with his speed out of dummy half. Arrived on a train-and-trial deal but has really impressed.

Give me a break with this last one. He's a 22 year-old Melbourne reject.

There are our most promising rookies according to the DT.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Joshua Coric​

Powerfully built Albion Park product who Anthony Griffin said would have debuted towards the back end of last season if not for injury. So he is certainly thereabouts on the back of so many departures among the forwards.

Jackson Shereb​

Another of the premiership-winning SG Ball team who is edging closer to getting his NRL call-up. A real athlete with speed and skill.

Haele Finau​

From the Melbourne Storm system but has made the move to Wollongong with his talented brother Sione, who is an outside back. Haele has great vision and loves to back himself with his speed out of dummy half. Arrived on a train-and-trial deal but has really impressed.

I don't think this is true. At least 2 or 3 of the Couchman's, Lobb, Egan, Johnson, Webster are going to skip development deals and go straight to thge top 30. Coric and Shereb are already confirmed on development contracts.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Joshua Coric​

Jackson Shereb​

Haele Finau​

Maybe Finau is good but I find it insulting when media pundits suggest he is a good buy and will make the top 30 just because he's coming from Melbourne.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
HAPPY NEW YEAR all.
Savelio Tamale. A new name to watch for. He was expected to play for the Waratahs having a rugby yawnion background but our recruitment scouts have been busy and liked what they saw of the 18 year old schoolkid. He is big, fast and very Joey Suallii like say the footy scribes.

Eric

Staff
HAPPY NEW YEAR all.
Savelio Tamale. A new name to watch for. He was expected to play for the Waratahs having a rugby yawnion background but our recruitment scouts have been busy and liked what they saw of the 18 year old schoolkid. He is big, fast and very Joey Suallii like say the footy scribes.

Is he a going to be a backrower or a centre? Looking at that video, he reminded me of David Fifta, not Suallii.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
HAPPY NEW YEAR all.

Is he a going to be a backrower or a centre? Looking at that video, he reminded me of David Fifta, not Suallii.
Need him in the second row this year.

Eric

Staff
Coming from Yawnion, he might need to do a lot of work on defence.
Good prediction but if Griffin remains coach, he won't be near the NRL until he is 23 or 24 unless it's for another club.

It just seems like every time one finds something to be excited about, Griffin quickly snuffs it out. Personally I was excited about the number of top 30 and development spots open for young players. Maybe they were never going to bring home a premiership this year but building something for the future. So what does Griffin do? Go out a sign a 31 year-old journeyman prop the team which ran second last no longer wants to compliment the the hooker and prop the last placed team no longer wants........

It just doesn't make any sense to me! If it were due to salary cap problems, which I can't see being possible, the club wouldn't hide it. The entire galaxy knew about the Bulldogs salary cap problems over the last few year and knew about Newcastle's problems when Browny was head coach.