Promising Juniors Thread.

Eric

Staff

Players to watch in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball​

• Kade Reed (Illawarra Steelers): Backs up for his second year in the division after injury last year. A director of the play who uses his presence effectively.

• Zach Taufa (Illawarra Steelers): A big front rower who leads by example in the front line. A physically large forward but very skilful as well, also demonstrates great leadership.

• Tom Kirk (Illawarra Steelers): Stands at a whopping 195cm tall. The Gerringong product outside back cuts an imposing figure with his strength and athleticism.

• Hayden Buchanan (Illawarra Steelers): Liked with the club long term, such is the view they have of this young centre. His dynamic charges and physicality is something to keep an eye on.

• Finau Latu (St George Dragons): A mobile middle forward who can play with the ball. A Junior Blue will star this season and joins the NRL training squad next year.

• Jacob Halangahu (St George Dragons): Another from Brad Fittler’s Junior Blues camp, Jacob is a tearaway second-rower who has a trademark strong carry to terrorise defences.

• Cyrus Stanley-Traill (St George Dragons): The Endeavour High student is a prop that can get through a mountain of work. Gets the dirty work done and can find the tryline as well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Players to watch in the Harold Matthews & SG Ball​

• Kade Reed (Illawarra Steelers): Backs up for his second year in the division after injury last year. A director of the play who uses his presence effectively.

• Zach Taufa (Illawarra Steelers): A big front rower who leads by example in the front line. A physically large forward but very skilful as well, also demonstrates great leadership.

• Tom Kirk (Illawarra Steelers): Stands at a whopping 195cm tall. The Gerringong product outside back cuts an imposing figure with his strength and athleticism.

• Hayden Buchanan (Illawarra Steelers): Liked with the club long term, such is the view they have of this young centre. His dynamic charges and physicality is something to keep an eye on.

• Finau Latu (St George Dragons): A mobile middle forward who can play with the ball. A Junior Blue will star this season and joins the NRL training squad next year.

• Jacob Halangahu (St George Dragons): Another from Brad Fittler’s Junior Blues camp, Jacob is a tearaway second-rower who has a trademark strong carry to terrorise defences.

• Cyrus Stanley-Traill (St George Dragons): The Endeavour High student is a prop that can get through a mountain of work. Gets the dirty work done and can find the tryline as well.
St. George have 3 on the list. That's good news I guess as long as it's not just charity. Typically out of 7, Illawarra would probably have 5.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

HM has started the season very strongly 2 from 2 including knocking over the highly rated Panthers in round 1. But unfortunately for us it's a U16 comp. The Dragons SG Ball 2 losses and Illawarra 1 from 2 but once again they knocked off the Panthers last week this comp is for U19. The issue is retaining them through the pathways program. Something that we haven't done well in recent years

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
HM has started the season very strongly 2 from 2 including knocking over the highly rated Panthers in round 1. But unfortunately for us it's a U16 comp. The Dragons SG Ball 2 losses and Illawarra 1 from 2 but once again they knocked off the Panthers last week this comp is for U19. The issue is retaining them through the pathways program. Something that we haven't done well in recent years
A bit early to earmark them for first grade but I'm surprised the season is already underway. Where can we see info about it?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I was impressed by Egan in the trail. He probably didn't play in the SG Ball games. Though Panthers probably had a few missing for the trails as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I was impressed by Egan in the trail. He probably didn't play in the SG Ball games. Though Panthers probably had a few missing for the trails as well.
Any time you knock off the Panthers in any junior competition is a good thing in my view

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This kid has just been picked as a reserve for the Charity Shield match remember his name. Savelio Tamale. I believe that he could be our next Gasnier if he can adapt to RL. There were at least 4 clubs chasing him but for reasons best known to himself he picked us.

Eric

Staff
This kid has just been picked as a reserve for the Charity Shield match remember his name. Savelio Tamale. I believe that he could be our next Gasnier if he can adapt to RL. There were at least 4 clubs chasing him but for reasons best known to himself he picked us.
I guess that answers the question of who one of the 5 left to fill out the top 30. And probably leave one spot open until August. So 3 more. Won't be Shereb, Coric, either of the Couchmans, either of the Finaus, Egan and definately won't be poor Connor Mulheisen.

There must be 3 rejects the last and second last placed teams from last year no longer want. I'd suggest one from each and a QLD Cup journeyman.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I guess that answers the question of who one of the 5 left to fill out the top 30. And probably leave one spot open until August. So 3 more. Won't be Shereb, Coric, either of the Couchmans, either of the Finaus, Egan and definately won't be poor Connor Mulheisen.

There must be 3 rejects the last and second last placed teams from last year no longer want. I'd suggest one from each and a QLD Cup journeyman.
Russell. A 28 year-old QLD Cup player. Exactly who Hook would want to mentor the young guys like Woods, Murdoch-Masila, JDB and Musgrove.

Eric

Staff

Aaymon Fitzgibbon - Dragons

Aaymon, a Thirroul Butchers junior, recently extended his future with the same club his dad and grandfather (Alan) also began their careers. Playing five-eighth for Illawarra’s SG Ball team, Aaymon is a strong defender and not surprisingly, a student of the game. Depending on his progression, it will be interesting to see if he ends up at the Sharks with his Dad Craig in the future.

We are absolutely stacked for young halves. This guy would have to be something special in order to make him a priority retention.

Hudson Bailey - Dragons

An SG Ball teammate of Aaymon Fitzgibbon at Illawarra, Hudson is showing all the traits of his father, former NSW and Test front-rower Luke Bailey. A hard-running lock forward with a fearless attitude, Hudson has already caught the attention of several rival clubs.

If he is anything like his dad, sign him up to a life time contract right now!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Be great if we could actually see these boys play. All they give us is a pissy 2 mins reel every week. Rarely do they show a match on YT while News Corp has complete control of all match coverage, at a price.

Kade Reed (Illawarra Steelers): Backs up for his second year in the division after injury last year. A director of the play who uses his presence effectively.
A good play maker is what we need most for the future. All the others are forwards and a centre. We have a plethora of good young forwards already coming thru our pathway.
Not sure where last season Flegg half Braxton Hall has gotten to. Not found him on any Flegg or Ressie playing lists.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We are absolutely stacked for young halves
Not stacked for genuine play makers we aint as I said in previous post. Blokes that can direct a team around the paddock, can take ownership of a game with ball or boot and is a good defender. We need one of those ten times more than another forward.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hudson is showing all the traits of his father, former NSW and Test front-rower Luke Bailey. A hard-running lock forward with a fearless attitude
If he can tackle strongly too be a good replacement for when JDB retires. A great pedigree as Luke was one of the best props, kilo for kilo, we ever had. Hudson's old man will tell him to ignore outside noise and stay with the Dragons.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
If he can tackle strongly too be a good replacement for when JDB retires. A great pedigree as Luke was one of the best props, kilo for kilo, we ever had. Hudson's old man will tell him to ignore outside noise and stay with the Dragons.
I think the two Couchmans are both like JDB. I know they can play on the edge or in the middle but from what I've seen, they are going to be better in the middle.

As for Bull Bailey's (who was one of if not my favourite player when I was a kid) son, we both hope for the best but probably way too early to say he's going to make it in the NRL.

Eric

Staff

Inside Parramatta Eels’ reinvigorated junior pathways system​

Despite boasting one of the NRL’s largest breeding grounds, Parramatta have struggled to keep up with Penrith. But former coach Nathan Brown has transformed them into a development powerhouse.​

Can't share the article because it's behind a pay wall.
I don't often flog my own horse but I will in this case. When it first became known Browny wasn't going to be a head coach anymore, I screamed for the club to do everything it could to hire him as the recruitment and retention manager. As usual, the board had other ideas and here we are today.....