Promising Juniors Thread.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Good prediction but if Griffin remains coach, he won't be near the NRL until he is 23 or 24 unless it's for another club.

It just seems like every time one finds something to be excited about, Griffin quickly snuffs it out. Personally I was excited about the number of top 30 and development spots open for young players. Maybe they were never going to bring home a premiership this year but building something for the future. So what does Griffin do? Go out a sign a 31 year-old journeyman prop the team which ran second last no longer wants to compliment the the hooker and prop the last placed team no longer wants........

It just doesn't make any sense to me! If it were due to salary cap problems, which I can't see being possible, the club wouldn't hide it. The entire galaxy knew about the Bulldogs salary cap problems over the last few year and knew about Newcastle's problems when Browny was head coach.
Because the oldest pack in the competition needed more experienceđź‘».

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons add extra fight​

An amateur boxer has joined the Dragons from Queensland to give the club extra punch up front.

Carlos Pauli, an 18-year-old middle forward, has signed with the club and will start his journey in the SG Ball Cup next season.

At 105 kilos, Pauli, from renowned league nursery Keebra Park High School on the Gold Coast, has a real presence and plays long minutes for a big youngster.

He impressed for Tweed Seagulls in the Mal Meninga Cup last year, is still growing and is definitely one to watch out for.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons add extra fight

An amateur boxer has joined the Dragons from Queensland to give the club extra punch up front.

Carlos Pauli, an 18-year-old middle forward, has signed with the club and will start his journey in the SG Ball Cup next season.

At 105 kilos, Pauli, from renowned league nursery Keebra Park High School on the Gold Coast, has a real presence and plays long minutes for a big youngster.

He impressed for Tweed Seagulls in the Mal Meninga Cup last year, is still growing and is definitely one to watch out for.
Seems there are so many players being retained or recruited for next year or the year after.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
6 spots available. Would be nice if Kerr moved on. Get a deal in the ESL for a few years. He's not tough enough for the NRL.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Top 30 spots to fill: 4​

Available development contracts: 2​

RYAN COUCHMAN and TOBY COUCHMAN (both second row)

The local juniors — and identical twins — have been given their first NRL pre-season opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball this year. The pair prefer the second row but spent some time last season at prop too. The brothers share a bit of friendly competition but Ryan got the jump last year when he was named in the Australian Schoolboys merit team. Toby responded by earning selection for NSW in the Under 19s Origin this year playing two NSW Cup games.

DYLAN EGAN (second row/centre)

The Gerringong Lions junior captained Kiama High to a grand final win in the NSW State Combined High Schools competition in September and was named player of the tournament. Like the Couchman brothers, Dylan Egan gets his opportunity after featuring for the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball earlier this year and his speed has impressed.

I definitely hope these 3 are in the 6.

HAELE FINAU (hooker)

Victorian-born Haele Finau joins the Dragons from the Storm system after spending the last two seasons playing for Queensland Cup feeder side Brisbane Tigers. The 22-year-old has impressed early and is said to be a good chance of landing a Top 30 deal. His younger brother, Sione — a winger — has also joined the club on a one-year development deal.

Probably not though Sam Hooper is an interesting omission from this group.

ZACH HERRING (halves)

The five-eighth has progressed through the Dragons’ lower grades and spent majority of 2022 in Jersey Flegg but get seven games in NSW Cup. He had a standout game in Round 19, setting up three tries, running for 112 metres, getting five tackle busts and making 22 tackles. A Wollongong product, Herring is most at home in the halves but can also cover hooker if need be.

Club is awash in halves and hookers at present. Not sure if he's still eligible for Flegg but will probably have to spend another year in Flegg and/or NSW Cup.

AARON JOHNSON (prop)

The 21-year-old spent most of the season in Jersey Flegg but was rewarded with a NSW Cup debut in the final round — and celebrated with a try. Johnson has impressed veteran prop Aaron Woods, who believes he’s physically ready to take on the big boys.

He's already a big boy. Reminds me of that huge guy, whose name I forget, who went to Penrith but is now looking at CRL. Was really good in the lower grades because he was just so big but in the open age group where others are just as big or bigger than him, he couldn't make it.

ALEX LOBB (winger)

The 20-year-old goalkicking outside back has progressed through the Dragons’ system featuring in the club’s SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup sides. He played 10 games on the wing in Cup last season, scoring in four consecutive games. Away from the field Lobb is studying a Bachelor of Exercise Science.

I hope he's one. Really need some speed on the wing.

DAN RUSSELL (second row/centre)

At 27-years old Dan Russell is a bit of a late-bloomer but has a lot to offer. He arrives to the Dragons with 85 games worth of Queensland Cup experience and has previously spent time in the Cowboys’ top squad. Russell is a Papua New Guinea international, featuring in both the mid-season Test and the World Cup — and it was PNG’s coaching director Shane Flanagan who helped him land the train-and-trial back in June.

We have enough QLD Cup journeymen. Coach Griffin loves them!

TREIGH STEWART (fullback)

The Batemans Bay product caught the eye of the Dragons back in 2018 when he was named Player of the Year for the Laurie Daley Cup. He’s been in the Red V system ever since and was a part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone. The 21-year-old is a speedy fullback that has also played on the wing. One to keep an eye on.

I was really impressed by him! Now Ramsey is out for at least the first few weeks of the season, I think he's a big chance. Specially if he can pack on a few kgs in the off season and be a good winger even though his best position is obviously fullback.

JACOB WEBSTER (prop)

The local junior featured in SG Ball, Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup this year — and earnt a call-up for NSW’s under 19s Origin team.

Another who I hope makes the cut!

So if it were me, I'd select the Couchmans, Dylan Egan, Alexander Lobb, Treigh Stewart and Jacob Webster.
Thanks for just a little positive news.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
WTF is this BS? Dragons have a number of rookies who aren't Melbourne imports in their 20s on train and trial deals. But here it is anyway.

NRL 2023: Every club's rookie to watch​

St George Illawarra Dragons - Haele Finau​

One-half of the newly-recruited set of brothers at the Red V, Haele Finau comes to the club with plenty of potential and aspirations of cracking the top grade. A talented and crafty hooker, Finau has inked a development contract heading into the season, but has already signed on for the club's top 30 in 2024 and could feasibly make the jump sooner if he impresses during pre-season.

The 22-year-old has played 25 games of Queensland Cup and has come through the grades at the highly-successful Storm system, but will move to the Dragons in the hopes of securing an NRL spot. “Haele manipulates the ruck really well. He is quite explosive out of dummy half. He sees the game really well. I think he is going to be one of those players that can game manage from the hooker position,” his manager Michael Cincotta told The Daily Telegraph. “At the under-20s level he played halfback for Melbourne, too. He's an exciting prospect because he can get over the line too.”

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
WTF is this BS? Dragons have a number of rookies who aren't Melbourne imports in their 20s on train and trial deals. But here it is anyway.

NRL 2023: Every club's rookie to watch​

St George Illawarra Dragons - Haele Finau​

One-half of the newly-recruited set of brothers at the Red V, Haele Finau comes to the club with plenty of potential and aspirations of cracking the top grade. A talented and crafty hooker, Finau has inked a development contract heading into the season, but has already signed on for the club's top 30 in 2024 and could feasibly make the jump sooner if he impresses during pre-season.

The 22-year-old has played 25 games of Queensland Cup and has come through the grades at the highly-successful Storm system, but will move to the Dragons in the hopes of securing an NRL spot. “Haele manipulates the ruck really well. He is quite explosive out of dummy half. He sees the game really well. I think he is going to be one of those players that can game manage from the hooker position,” his manager Michael Cincotta told The Daily Telegraph. “At the under-20s level he played halfback for Melbourne, too. He's an exciting prospect because he can get over the line too.”
The way they just assume a Storm import is one of if not the clubs most promising rookie is an insult.

Eric

Staff
The way they just assume a Storm import is one of if not the clubs most promising rookie is an insult.
Given the way the club has been run for a number of years, maybe they are right to diminish or disdain the clubs juniors. All the best one's are signed elsewhere or chase tradies around with hammers.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Given the way the club has been run for a number of years, maybe they are right to diminish or disdain the clubs juniors. All the best one's are signed elsewhere or chase tradies around with hammers.
The truth is that since Bennett, it's been a real lean spell when it comes to juniors comng through the grades and making it big. The last might have been Jack de Belin. Hopefully that is coming to an end now. It doesn't justify media automatically calling someone "a rookie to watch" at the club just because he comes from Melbourne.

Eric

Staff

ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Talented brothers Haele and Sione Finau arrive after developing in the Storm system and both will be pushing to be a part of the top squad. Haele is a hooker on a train-and-trial contract while younger brother Sione is on the development list and plays in the outside backs.

With Andrew McCullough gone, Jacob Liddle is the obvious leading contender for the No.9 jumper. But they reckon Haele has been super impressive during the pre-season, while Sione is said to be very talented but up against some stiff opposition with so many exciting outside backs already at the Dragons.

Another young dummy-half looking for a shot is Connor Muhleisen who has come through the Dragons system and is also on a development contract. While he is yet to officially debut he got a crack in a trial last season and looked more than capable.

The other two to keep an eye out for are young props Joshua Coric, who probably would have got his debut in 2022 if not for injury, while new recruit Nick Lui-Toso was obviously brought to the club for a reason.

At least now, according to News Ltd, the guy on a train and trial deal isn't our only promising potential rookie. Glad Coric and Muhleisen get a mention. But I wish they had reporters who have some idea what they are talking about. Nick Lui-Toso isn't young. He turns 27 in the May. Because Griffin has such a good track record in getting the best out of journeyman props no other club wantso_O.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Talented brothers Haele and Sione Finau arrive after developing in the Storm system and both will be pushing to be a part of the top squad. Haele is a hooker on a train-and-trial contract while younger brother Sione is on the development list and plays in the outside backs.

With Andrew McCullough gone, Jacob Liddle is the obvious leading contender for the No.9 jumper. But they reckon Haele has been super impressive during the pre-season, while Sione is said to be very talented but up against some stiff opposition with so many exciting outside backs already at the Dragons.

Another young dummy-half looking for a shot is Connor Muhleisen who has come through the Dragons system and is also on a development contract. While he is yet to officially debut he got a crack in a trial last season and looked more than capable.

The other two to keep an eye out for are young props Joshua Coric, who probably would have got his debut in 2022 if not for injury, while new recruit Nick Lui-Toso was obviously brought to the club for a reason.

At least now, according to News Ltd, the guy on a train and trial deal isn't our only promising potential rookie. Glad Coric and Muhleisen get a mention. But I wish they had reporters who have some idea what they are talking about. Nick Lui-Toso isn't young. He turns 27 in the May. Because Griffin has such a good track record in getting the best out of journeyman props no other club wantso_O.
Especially annoying because he's only on a train and trial deal. What are they going to say if he's not given a contract?

Eric

Staff

FINAU LATU (DRAGONS, HAROLD MATTS, LOCK)

Solomon Haumono’s nephew who was a Penrith junior and now captain of this Dragons team. If you remember watching his uncle go around this will bring back memories because he’s incredibly tough, can run, offload, and hits like a truck.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Solomon Haumono’s nephew who was a Penrith junior and now captain of this Dragons team. If you remember watching his uncle go around this will bring back memories because he’s incredibly tough, can run, offload, and hits like a truck.
I am getting tired of this. 3 years ago Sullivan and Amone were future immortals. 2 years ago it was the Feagai brothers and Sloan. Last year it was Shereb, Coric and Oofuo. Now it's the Couchmans. Lets wait and see how they go in first grade if they ever get a chance.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I am getting tired of this. 3 years ago Sullivan and Amone were future immortals. 2 years ago it was the Feagai brothers and Sloan. Last year it was Shereb, Coric and Oofuo. Now it's the Couchmans. Lets wait and see how they go in first grade if they ever get a chance.
Go back further. The Stanley bros were supposed to seamlessly take over from Gaz, in the case of Chase and Kyle was supposed to be the gun playmaker for 10 years. Then Cameron King was supposed to become the next big thing as a hooker. And Evenader Cummins and Jake Stockwell apparently had the world at their feet. The former of those couldn't even make it in the NSW Cup.

Lets hope Coric, Shereb, the Couchmans, Hooper and more are the real thing.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Go back further. The Stanley bros were supposed to seamlessly take over from Gaz, in the case of Chase and Kyle was supposed to be the gun playmaker for 10 years. Then Cameron King was supposed to become the next big thing as a hooker. And Evenader Cummins and Jake Stockwell apparently had the world at their feet. The former of those couldn't even make it in the NSW Cup.

Lets hope Coric, Shereb, the Couchmans, Hooper and more are the real thing.
On the subject of Stockwell, just a few years ago Eddie Blacker was supposed to become a star as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Look up 5 posts:rolleyes: Everything is so quiet in regard to Saints. I wonder when at least 4 of the final 5 spots in the top 30 are going to be announced.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Look up 5 posts:rolleyes: Everything is so quiet in regard to Saints. I wonder when at least 4 of the final 5 spots in the top 30 are going to be announced.
I think I read here a few days ago, "no news is good news." Gee, wouldn't it be nice if out of the blue the club announced, "We are happy to announce the signing of ********." Someone who is mid-20s or younger and not a fringe first grade journeyman but a rep player in demand.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I think I read here a few days ago, "no news is good news." Gee, wouldn't it be nice if out of the blue the club announced, "We are happy to announce the signing of ********." Someone who is mid-20s or younger and not a fringe first grade journeyman but a rep player in demand.
Don't hold your breath.