Promising Juniors Thread.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I know them all, have watched them play plenty of times and have had conversions with them all.
I rate Finau as the best prospect.
Loko is progressing well.
Jake is a great player, his size and build makes me think he will end up in the middle.
Jett has not really stood out and he is the only one out of the 4 that doesn't have a long term contract.
Just wondering, if Dragons supporters knew your real name, would be recognise it? Not asking for you to tell me but just wondering. You seem to have very good access to the team and the head office.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yes as I am sure you know, there is a big difference between being able to actually step up from playing juniors, then reserves to actually donning that 1st grade jersey. Then having the physical and mental toughness to play at that level week in, week out. Being promising or being referred to as being the next big thing is entirely different to being able to consistently deliver performances at a 1st grade level. Young Jet Liu is a local junior isn't he? He did show initial promise, what appears to be his stumbling block in your opinion?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yes as I am sure you know, there is a big difference between being able to actually step up from playing juniors, then reserves to actually donning that 1st grade jersey. Then having the physical and mental toughness to play at that level week in, week out. Being promising or being referred to as being the next big thing is entirely different to being able to consistently deliver performances at a 1st grade level. Young Jet Liu is a local junior isn't he? He did show initial promise, what appears to be his stumbling block in your opinion?
Yep. Just off the top of my head I remember:
  • Eddie Blacker
  • Evander Cummings (He was actually being touted as the next big thing before being let go to join Parramatta but couldn't make their NSW Cup team!)
  • Beau Henry
  • Charly Runchimen
  • Jake Stockwell
  • Drew Hutchison (Who has been the best of the next big thing since Browny was let go. Glad Browny was finally let go and should have been sooner but he had an eye for talent for sure!)

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep. Just off the top of my head I remember:
  • Eddie Blacker
  • Evander Cummings (He was actually being touted as the next big thing before being let go to join Parramatta but couldn't make their NSW Cup team!)
  • Beau Henry
  • Charly Runchimen
  • Jake Stockwell
  • Drew Hutchison (Who has been the best of the next big thing since Browny was let go. Glad Browny was finally let go and should have been sooner but he had an eye for talent for sure!)
A tale of woe. Add Kyle and Chase Stanley and Cameron King to the list. Though especially Kyle struck out for reasons other than ability. I understand that. So happy the club has employed him in his post-football life. Should have given it up about 4 years sooner than he did.

Must have been something with his running style. Because after you replace one ACL with a hamstring, which is what they do, why wouldn't it be as strong as the next ACL? Especially after you have had all 4 replaced.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Quinn threw pass
Ward was backing up on inside.
A sublime pass from Quinn. Why isnt he on a DC as this club need halves with clever ball skills. Who was the #12 with blistering pace over first 20 mts.

I was going off their numbers with Quinn 7, Ward 6. Was the opposite. So it was Quinn that scored. Perfectly judged kick as it turned out.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Young Jet Liu is a local junior isn't he? He did show initial promise, what appears to be his stumbling block in your opinion?
Played Raiders reps, has only had one season with us. Big kid solid player but at his size in junior reps he should of been a stand out.
A sublime pass from Quinn. Why isnt he on a DC as this club need halves with clever ball skills. Who was the #12 with blistering pace over first 20 mts.
Quinn has some skills but is a back of the game player, has trouble taking control of the game from the start.
12 was Harry Rudd a fill in player that can play backs or forwards.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He wont see first grade for at least two more years so may reduce or add some kilos by then. But to grow up honing your ball skills such as a clean offload is a big thing once you hit the top grade.
It looks like some juniors might be thrown in the deep end this year, ready or not.

On second thoughts, that's an exaggeration. But some might get thrown in the deep end earlier than they otherwise would have but I'm sure the coaches will do it in such as way as to not hard long-term development.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Reckon we have backrow covered now and in the future with S'ua, Sele, Couchman twins, Bird, Mike Molo, Russell, now, Egan, Ackers, Stewart, Latu, Shereb, future. There is also the cowboy we are targeting, Luki is it.
Though Sele is a prop. Couchmans can play in the middle or edge but according to people I have spoken too, will be better in the middle. Bird's days in the forwards are over. At least as a run on forward. Sua might be on the way out. Rumour is he wants to go to the Dolphins. Doubt Mike Molo and Russell will be resigned. Ackers is a prop as well, isn't he?

So Egan, Shereb, Stewart, Latu and Luki. Is the club also trying to poach one more forward from the Cowboys? Can't remember his name but think last name starts with K.