Promising Juniors Thread.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Mine too. But we have a finicky coach that only wants things done his way and that includes prioritising his personal favorites. Are you aware Tamale is yet to be extended past this year.
As the coach should have his own way whether we agree or not... Tamale is yet to extend he was waiting to see what was happening with Lomax and also he may want to return closer to home (Manly).

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
Joey Johns thinks we should pursue Eel teen half Ethan Sanders, who partnered Lachlan Galvin in the Aussie Schoolboys side, if memory serves.. Evidently the Eels board either does not rate him, or he is seen as too young to play top grade. Johns says, this may provide the Dragons a chance to step in and poach him. Can you see Flanagan giving this kid a debut before the Eels do.
He already has a deal with the Raiders, that’s why Eels aren’t debuting him. Don’t know what Joeys on about.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I thought they can sign but can’t leave until round 6?
Are we not happy with Nick Quinn, Ashton Ward and Lyhkan King-Togia. I think Quinn in particular has been killing it in Flegg. King-Togia has been injured but he was named in the NSW Cup a few times last year while he is still eligible for SG Ball this year. Seems very impressive.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
There is somewhat of a changing of the guard at the grassroots level. St George’s under-19 SG Ball side finished second with ex-player Kyle Stanley doing good things leading a total revamp of the pathway system in the area.
St George last played finals in 2013 in a team which featured future NRL players Matt Dufty, Luciano Leilua, Hame Sele, Jacob Host, Addin Fonua-Blake, Izaac Thompson and Abbas Miski.
On the flipside, Penrith’s domination at the Harold Matthews and SG Ball level has come to an abrupt end. It would be more than two decades since neither Penrith side qualified for the finals. Their under-17s finished ninth and under-19s seventh.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I thought they can sign but can’t leave until round 6?
From tonight's story

Sanders was on the verge of agreeing to a deal with the Raiders last year before the NRL changed the contracting rules, meaning he was unable to negotiate with rival clubs until the end of round six in the final year of his contract.

In under a fortnight, Sanders will be free to speak to any club that has an interest. It is understood the Eels have tabled an offer to extend his contract

Eric

Staff
There is somewhat of a changing of the guard at the grassroots level. St George’s under-19 SG Ball side finished second with ex-player Kyle Stanley doing good things leading a total revamp of the pathway system in the area.
St George last played finals in 2013 in a team which featured future NRL players Matt Dufty, Luciano Leilua, Hame Sele, Jacob Host, Addin Fonua-Blake, Izaac Thompson and Abbas Miski.
On the flipside, Penrith’s domination at the Harold Matthews and SG Ball level has come to an abrupt end. It would be more than two decades since neither Penrith side qualified for the finals. Their under-17s finished ninth and under-19s seventh.

Really happy for Kyle Stanley. Things finally going his way.

Eric

Staff
From tonight's story

Sanders was on the verge of agreeing to a deal with the Raiders last year before the NRL changed the contracting rules, meaning he was unable to negotiate with rival clubs until the end of round six in the final year of his contract.

In under a fortnight, Sanders will be free to speak to any club that has an interest. It is understood the Eels have tabled an offer to extend his contract
So if Flanno is unhappy with the halves we have coming through, sign this bloke rather than extend Hunt again. A good idea in my view anyway without ever having seen him play.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
So if Flanno is unhappy with the halves we have coming through, sign this bloke rather than extend Hunt again. A good idea in my view anyway without ever having seen him play.
Probably more that the halves aren't ready yet, need time in KOE Cup to learn, Hunt staying another year gives them that extra time to develop.
Re Sanders would have thought if he was ready/good that he would have taken the 7 jersey and Brown the 6 instead of Talagi.

Eric

Staff
Probably more that the halves aren't ready yet, need time in KOE Cup to learn, Hunt staying another year gives them that extra time to develop.
Re Sanders would have thought if he was ready/good that he would have taken the 7 jersey and Brown the 6 instead of Talagi.
Re Sanders makes sense. Let's see how hard Parramatta try to keep him after round 6.

The first part is one of my pet peeves with the way this club has been run for a number of years. Every fuking coach, bar Ryan Carr, think every Dragons young player isn't ready for NRL until mid-20s. Flanno selecting BMM before the Couchman brothers was doing my head in. They were initiated slowly into first grade last year. Barring injury they should be selected every week this year!

As for the halves, if the club doesn't rate the young guys at the club, go to the market and find a young player stuck behind Cleary or DCE or Moses or Hughes and etc. If the club rates them, it has 2 years to prepare them for first grade. Use it! Just my views.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Re Sanders makes sense. Let's see how hard Parramatta try to keep him after round 6.

The first part is one of my pet peeves with the way this club has been run for a number of years. Every fuking coach, bar Ryan Carr, think every Dragons young player isn't ready for NRL until mid-20s. Flanno selecting BMM before the Couchman brothers was doing my head in. They were initiated slowly into first grade last year. Barring injury they should be selected every week this year!

As for the halves, if the club doesn't rate the young guys at the club, go to the market and find a young player stuck behind Cleary or DCE or Moses or Hughes and etc. If the club rates them, it has 2 years to prepare them for first grade. Use it! Just my views.
I'm all for not throwing players in the deep end before they can swim but it does seem our club needs to teach them to swim much sooner.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Analysis = true

Though Hunt might have value as a utility for one more year after his current contract finishes.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Flanagan needs to grasp the fact that this club has a robust junior system with an academy at its core, by utilising the best coming thru its pathways. Take a gamble on some of these juniors to avoid them being poached from outside. Other clubs are doing this.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You want him stinking up the place for three more years. As long as he, Bird and any other dead wood remains this club is going nowhere.
I think you are a bit harsh but fundamentally correct. Hunt is on the books now for this year and next but surely won't be extended again.
Bird contract is a mutual option for next year. What does that mean? The club has an option to extend or not and so does Bird? So what's the difference between that and no option at all?

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think you are a bit harsh but fundamentally correct. Hunt is on the books now for this year and next but surely won't be extended again.
Bird contract is a mutual option for next year. What does that mean? The club has an option to extend or not and so does Bird? So what's the difference between that and no option at all?
I could be wrong but MO is both have to agree to continue and the amount has already been negotiated.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You want him stinking up the place for three more years. As long as he, Bird and any other dead wood remains this club is going nowhere.
To be clear, I hope the club has the players in place in order to not have Hunt hang around for another year. I'm just saying, because of his utility value it wouldn't be a total waste to sign him for 1 more year.