Promising Juniors Thread.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Illawarra and Newcastle classed as city in the male but not in the female.
Also if selected from South Coast Dragons, like Zack Taufa you are classed as country
I see. So in that case, wouldn't the city team be far better than the country? Seems like they'd have many more players to choose from.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bit of a pathway players update.

Jake Halangahu T&T 25, SL 26 Top 30, 27 Height 183 Weight 108

Cyrus Stanley-Traill T&T 25, SL 26 Top 30, 27 Height 188 weight 104

Nick Tsougranis SL, 25 top 30, 26 Height 182 Weight 100

Corey Ackers SL, 25 Height short Weight 100kg

Finau Latu Top 30, 25 Height 190 Weight 100

Loko Tonga Top 30, 25 Height 192 Weight 118

Dylan Egan Top 30, 25 Height 182 Weight 95

Hamish Stewart Top 30, 25,26 Height 192 Weight 98
Updated Hamish

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Was a lock, being playing edge this year

Steelers SG Ball 23.

Corey Ackers had knee surgery out for the season.
Hopefully Ackers comes back stronger next year. Though not necessarily bigger. He looks big enough for a good prop already.

In your opinion, realistically how long do you think blokes like Hamish Stewart, Tonga, Halangahu and other recent outstanding SG Ball players get a chance in first grade?

Eric

Staff
Was a lock, being playing edge this year

Steelers SG Ball 23.

Corey Ackers had knee surgery out for the season.
I know there have been a lot of flase alarms since the "golden age" of Gaz, Coops, Deano, Hornby, Bull Bailey, Ryles, Ben Creagh and even Chase Stanley was outstanding when he was 18~20. Considering he was so young when Browny gave him a chance. But would I be wrong in thinking a few of these young players like Ackers, Latu, Tsougranis, Stewart, Halangahu and others are an excellent chance of at least making it in first grade?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hopefully Ackers comes back stronger next year. Though not necessarily bigger. He looks big enough for a good prop already.

In your opinion, realistically how long do you think blokes like Hamish Stewart, Tonga, Halangahu and other recent outstanding SG Ball players get a chance in first grade?

I know there have been a lot of flase alarms since the "golden age" of Gaz, Coops, Deano, Hornby, Bull Bailey, Ryles, Ben Creagh and even Chase Stanley was outstanding when he was 18~20. Considering he was so young when Browny gave him a chance. But would I be wrong in thinking a few of these young players like Ackers, Latu, Tsougranis, Stewart, Halangahu and others are an excellent chance of at least making it in first grade?
I think Nick T and Finau be the first to get a chance, then Loko and Jake.
Cyrus could develop into a great ball-playing prop.
Hamish has a great work rate but I see nothing special in him.
I don't think Corey will make it.

Eric

Staff
I think Nick T and Finau be the first to get a chance, then Loko and Jake.
Cyrus could develop into a great ball-playing prop.
Hamish has a great work rate but I see nothing special in him.
I don't think Corey will make it.
What do you think is the problem with Ackers? Not the right skills, including not athletic enough (which has made me not so confident in him for a while when everyone else was doing backflips over his ability) or just doesn't apply himself enough? Like Shereb.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
What do you think is the problem with Ackers? Not the right skills, including not athletic enough (which has made me not so confident in him for a while when everyone else was doing backflips over his ability) or just doesn't apply himself enough? Like Shereb.
He's got the skills but commitment and attitude is not up to it. I'm surprised we gave him a development contract.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan What are your thoughts on Jett Lui, Jacob Webster and Matthew Alhazim
Doesn't look like Fifita will make it very unimpressive really, AlecT is much better but possibly not rated by the club.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan What are your thoughts on Jett Lui, Jacob Webster and Matthew Alhazim
Doesn't look like Fifita will make it very unimpressive really, AlecT is much better but possibly not rated by the club.
Matts been a good player for Dragons SGB and Flegg, but with the young players stepping up I can't see him playing Flegg again.
Jett and Jacob are solid but can't see them going further, will probably be Cup Squad members next year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Matts been a good player for Dragons SGB and Flegg, but with the young players stepping up I can't see him playing Flegg again.
Jett and Jacob are solid but can't see them going further, will probably be Cup Squad members next year.
So unless someone who has played backrow in the lower grades steps up to become a prop, Loko Tonga is the only promising young prop at the club right now? At least from SB Ball up.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But would I be wrong in thinking a few of these young players like Ackers, Latu, Tsougranis, Stewart, Halangahu and others are an excellent chance of at least making it in first grade?
Definitely not. Dont you think they do? They have not only the raw talent but look to have the determination to succeed at the top level too. Specially the new 'three amigos' Loko Jr, Jake and Latu who have already played international footy. Their goal will be to slip on the Kangaroo jumper.

Last edited: