Promising Juniors Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
As usual Jake was a problem for the defense on that r/edge but I had Finau as the pick of the forwards, powered over for a pair , must have ran well over 100mm and created second phase play with smart offloads. Buchanan and Stanley-Traill did their jobs while Zechariah Taufa (Illawarra South Coast Dragons) was strong for the opposition.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Wasn't he with us until a year or so ago. Nick poached him for the Chooks.
He was the pick of the halves in first 35 but not sure he played much of the second allowing Mitchell Woods to take over, with a brace of try assists. Dogs better tie down this promising play maker or other clubs will come a knocking, perhaps even us.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Definitely not. Dont you think they do? They have not only the raw talent but look to have the determination to succeed at the top level too. Specially the new 'three amigos' Loko Jr, Jake and Latu who have already played international footy. Their goal will be to slip on the Kangaroo jumper.
I think they do but I thought that for Cummings, Hutchinson, Beau Henry, Blacker, Stockwell to name a few. More recently O'Ofuo, Shereb, Coric. I think the first of those is still getting a game somewhere in the QLD Cup and the latter still have a chance but seems the writing is on the wall. Also about 3 years ago I thought Sullivan was going to be a superstar.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
More recently O'Ofuo, Shereb, Coric. I think the first of those is still getting a game somewhere in the QLD Cup
Shommy was a great talent hit hard fantastic line speed but unfortunately was cruelled by injury and bad luck.
His first year of reps was impressive.
He then missed a year with shoulder reconstruction.
Next year covid the following year he sat out due to his virus stance.
Next year he looked good even after missing so much footy, he was then struck down with illness and had intestinal surgery.
Next year signed train and Trial with Broncos, rolled his ankle in preseason came back during the year was looking good before knee injury finished his season.
He is back down here running a training and fitness program.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ben Haren? I know the name but what is his position exactly?
GM of the club, although doing less now, hopefully gone next year.
Wasn't he with us until a year or so ago. Nick poached him for the Chooks.
Been at Roosters 3 years signed as a 15yo
He was the pick of the halves in first 35 but not sure he played much of the second allowing Mitchell Woods to take over, with a brace of try assists. Dogs better tie down this promising play maker or other clubs will come a knocking, perhaps even us.
Signed to top 30 till 27

Eric

Staff
Shommy was a great talent hit hard fantastic line speed but unfortunately was cruelled by injury and bad luck.
His first year of reps was impressive.
He then missed a year with shoulder reconstruction.
Next year covid the following year he sat out due to his virus stance.
Next year he looked good even after missing so much footy, he was then struck down with illness and had intestinal surgery.
Next tear signed train and Trial with Broncos, rolled his ankle in preseason came back during the year was looking good before knee injury finished his season.
He is back down here running a training and fitness program.
That's terrible luck! I hope he is doing well now.

Eric

Staff
As for Tamale, was just looking at an interactive graphic behind a paywall. So I can't copy it here but it lists every player who played U19/20 State of Origin since 2012.

It seems about 5% go on to play open age State of Origin.

About 10% are never signed to play NRL. I guess that means they were never signed to a top 30 contract. Actually the very first one on the list from 2012 is one Evander Cummins. I guess he was fullback which makes him top of the list. Makes me feel old. I remember lots of people flipping out when the Dragons let him go without making an offer. He was signed by Parra but turned out not good enough for Wentworthville, their NSW Cup feeder club.

About 50% become fist graders one has heard of but hardly stars. Probably accurate to call them, "fringe first graders". Matt Dufty, Hame Sele, Tyrell Fuimaono, Billy Burns, Drew Hutchison, Matt Groat, Kyle Flanagan for example.

The rest I'd say become solid first graders but fall short of Origin. Jackson Hastings, Jason Saab, Reuben Garrick, Blake Lawrie for example.

The moral of the story is, losing Tamale probably isn't an issue.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Glad for Loko Jr, Jake and Hayden but Finau Latu unlucky not to join them as in my view he is as good if not better than either of his new 'three amigo' mates. In terms of skills I have Finau and Loko Jr on a par then Jake.

Last edited: