Promising Juniors Thread.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Looking through the entire list, a lot have already played first grade. Only one of ours has played NSW Cup. I thought he was really good but Flanno sent him back to Flegg at first opportunity.

State of Origin NSW Blues U19s: NRL debuts, club affiliations:​

HAYDEN BUCHANAN​

• NRL affiliate: Dragons
  • School: Kiama High School
  • The former Australian Schoolboy is rising through the lower grades at the Dragons, and this year made his NSW Cup debut in the centres.

LOKO PASIFIKI TONGA​

• School: Endeavour Sports High
  • Already bigger than Payne Haas, there’s a lot of excitement about the teenage forward, who is 118kgs and stands at 195cms. Earlier this year he won the the SG Ball premiership and is one of several players named from the Dragons squad.

JACOB HALANGAHU​

• School: Patrician Brothers College, Blacktown
  • Played Australian Schoolboys last year and is one of a group of exciting young forwards coming through at the Dragons. He’s set to be promoted to the NRL top 20 in 2025.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
LOKO PASIFIKI TONGA
Loko Jr could be anything. Is essential we tie him to us long term asap. The hulking prop has already played for his country, his city and next week his state. The aspect of his game that most excites me is his exceptional ball skills for such a big man. Reminds me of big Artie in his prime, tho dont ever recall seeing Artie step a couple of outside backs, hold a pass then put a man into a gaping hole.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Loko Jr could be anything. Is essential we tie him to us long term asap. The hulking prop has already played for his country, his city and next week his state. The aspect of his game that most excites me is his exceptional ball skills for such a big man. Reminds me of big Artie in his prime, tho dont ever recall seeing Artie step a couple of outside backs, hold a pass then put a man into a gaping hole.
Hope so but the size of him might be a problem. Don't be shocked. Bear with me for a moment.

In his age group be dominates due to his size but he won't have that advantage in the open age. At least much less of that advantage. I think you are right. Going to be a gun but I'm not as confident as you.

JACOB HALANGAHU​

Already tipping the scales at 108K, Jake is a budding bookend with thighs like tree stumps and a powerful leg drive takes sheer strength to put to ground. In his short career he has won many accolades and is seen as having captaincy ability. Another player that must be extended long term asap.
I thought he's more of a backrower.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I thought he's more of a backrower.
I am looking down the track when he has filled out completely, say to about 116/118K which should reduce his pace but up his power. I see him as another Addin-Blake type bookend when he finishes growing.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I am looking down the track when he has filled out completely, say to about 116/118K which should reduce his pace but up his power. I see him as another Addin-Blake type bookend when he finishes growing.
116~118kg would make him a massive backrower but maybe he won't get much heavier than now. Club will have him on a strict diet.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately for him, the Roosters lock has been withdrawn from the U19s SOO game. Because Roosters called him into first grade. Flanno won't even give our reps in this game a go in NSW Cup.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately for him, the Roosters lock has been withdrawn from the U19s SOO game. Because Roosters called him into first grade. Flanno won't even give our reps in this game a go in NSW Cup.
Flanno only cares about making Kyle's position safe. Everything else be damned.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Season 2 GIF by The Roku Channel

Flanagan FFS.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Reading Loko Jr will be in our 30 next year and possibly Jake and Finau Latu. Loko is a big dude, even bigger now tipping the scales at 121k. He will go head to head with De La Salle V'a tonite, both were the Aussie Schoolboys bookends last year.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Couple of comments on the names discussed:

o Halangahu seems to be thriving even in his rep games which is promising.. size-wise he has that solid David Fifita or Dave Taylor frame perhaps.. keen to see how he goes tonight stepping up yet again.
o Nick T I know he had early injuries, but I was really surprised he didnt get promoted yet in front of Shereb or Russell, I think Nick has had 1 or maybe 2 suspensions also... I thought maybe they are trying to stack Jersey Flegg, though somehow we arent getting the wins..
o I have a suspicion that we might promote 1 2 or 3 of Williams, Buchanan, LKT into Development spots for next year.. Williams I feel is the safest bet with his size and speed on a wing is a lot simpler than centre or 5/8.. Buchanan is only small still, LKT we will know a lot more about by end of the season I suspect... had moments last week in the 2nd half, but still finding his way against bigger bodies.

But yah, has definitely has confused me how fast the other clubs managed to promote these 18-20yr olds into first grade so quickly (and they are doing well).. we just won the SG Ball and not a single kid has played NSW Cup yet.. the only 2 that have are from the Steelers side.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
But yah, has definitely has confused me how fast the other clubs managed to promote these 18-20yr olds into first grade so quickly (and they are doing well).. we just won the SG Ball and not a single kid has played NSW Cup yet.. the only 2 that have are from the Steelers side.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Eric

Staff
That NSW halfback is doing my head in. How many times is he going to take on the line instead of passing? Like every single time or can he pass occasionally?