Promising Juniors Thread.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ben Rumble extends pathways contract with Dragons for 2025
Do you know what type of contract it will be? Dunno if they have room to give him a development position.. he is surely the NSW Cup #1 next year though... but I wasnt sure how serious they were about him.. its a big call cause Sloan gets injured and he might be expected to step up.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Do you know what type of contract it will be? Dunno if they have room to give him a development position.. he is surely the NSW Cup #1 next year though... but I wasnt sure how serious they were about him.. its a big call cause Sloan gets injured and he might be expected to step up.
Will catch up with Ben tomorrow and get an update, but I would say T&T along with a few other juniors competing in pre-season for SL contracts.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Will catch up with Ben tomorrow and get an update, but I would say T&T along with a few other juniors competing in pre-season for SL contracts.
I like that.. there are probably 4 Dev (SL) contracts up for grabs, but there are so many positions we need depth in.. he would be competing with Buchanan, Williams, King-Togia, Ashton Ward.... T&T could still play NRL though, so all good.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
He's my pick of the young gun bunch. He could be anything. What's his height? He'll need to fill out a bit but potential is out of this world.
The following a priorities:
*Rumble
*Williams
*Helengahu
*LPT
*Latu
*Buchanan
*Nick T
*LKT

maybe others who know more than me will disagree but I think the prop Ryan Hutchinson can't be written off. Or easily dismissed. Not the talent of the others but looks like a hard worker who will end up like Melbournes prop Welch.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
The following a priorities:
*Rumble
*Williams
*Helengahu
*LPT
*Latu
*Buchanan
*Nick T
*LKT

maybe others who know more than me will disagree but I think the prop Ryan Hutchinson can't be written off. Or easily dismissed. Not the talent of the others but looks like a hard worker who will end up like Melbournes prop Welch.

Daniel Meafou, he has big wraps too. I think he's the Illawarra SG Ball captain & player of the year. Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan would probably have better insight but he looks like an athletic middle.

Priority is the development once they start playing NSW cup & enter the top 30 squad. We've butchered the development of soo many youngsters in the last 5 years.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
We have some grace on a few:
o Stanley-Traill and Halangahu are T&T in 2025, but have Development contracts locked in for 2026
o Meafou who is a little younger needs one also.. his injury has probably put him out of site out of mind for now..
o Kade Reed is another whos a little younger and will do a 2nd year of SG with Meafou assumably.

I think TPH is intriguing also, but until Rumble gives up that fullback jersey, I dont think we will get a chance to see if he can be the star he was in SG Ball this year... he has to be really good to stand out...

There will be some new kids come thru next year too, plus the young hooker needing a contract in 2027.. its bluddy tricky.. but we need some backs pushing first grade.. no-one seems close at this stage.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Top 50 U18 stars from 2022 ASSRL tournament​

Lykhan King-Togia​

Previous Rank: 31​

State: Qld
Position: Halfback/Five-eighth
Affiliation: Broncos
School: Dalby State High
Once a part of the Broncos system, King-Togia started this season with the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball, played a handful of games in Jersey Flegg, and has since spent the past month in NSW Cup.

That's it. The only Dragons player in the list though that isn't really a bad thing as in the full list of 50, it's amazing how few of the best U18s school boys make it in the open age. There are a few who have gone on to play first grade but many more who aren't good enough for even Jersey Flegg/Mal Meninga Cup let alone NSW/QLD Cup, let alone NRL.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Australian Schoolboys 15s Championship starts tomorrow, games are steamed by Telegraph if anyone has a subscription.
We have a few boys playing.
NSWCHS U15
Api Amone
Ollie Burton
Asher Chapman
Hunter Fangupo
Noah Fitzgerald.

My player to watch is FB Ollie Burton
Hope the Dragons boys or affiliated boys do well but 15 is probably way too early to speculate on whether they go on to play first grade.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Australian Schoolboys 15s Championship starts tomorrow, games are steamed by Telegraph if anyone has a subscription.
We have a few boys playing.
NSWCHS U15
Api Amone
Ollie Burton
Asher Chapman
Hunter Fangupo
Noah Fitzgerald.

My player to watch is FB Ollie Burton
Thanks, i remeber you mentioned Ollie last time as one to watch..
What positions do the other boys play and is Amone a brother or relative to Junior?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Full Time Train and Trial

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Top 50 U18 stars from 2022 ASSRL tournament​

Lykhan King-Togia​

Previous Rank: 31​

State: Qld
Position: Halfback/Five-eighth
Affiliation: Broncos
School: Dalby State High
Once a part of the Broncos system, King-Togia started this season with the Illawarra Steelers in SG Ball, played a handful of games in Jersey Flegg, and has since spent the past month in NSW Cup.

That's it. The only Dragons player in the list though that isn't really a bad thing as in the full list of 50, it's amazing how few of the best U18s school boys make it in the open age. There are a few who have gone on to play first grade but many more who aren't good enough for even Jersey Flegg/Mal Meninga Cup let alone NSW/QLD Cup, let alone NRL.
Definitely a 5/8 and looks like a gun. I don't think they'll re-sign Amone. Would have liked to see what Flanno could do with Amone but probably not needed now. Amone might be able to play centre.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o Not sure how the year will play out, I think LKT is the 5/8 longterm, but I dont mind him filling that vacant fullback spot for a while.. its forcing him into the game, to start running, play both sides.. might help get him up to speed a lil faster.

o I always thought Amone might be a better centre than 5/8, I never felt like he had the skillset for the spine.. but they kept picking him.. but his defensive issues always made it hard to imagine him playing in any position.. big agile body yet always missing tackles. That said it looks like end of 2025 is the end of his sentence, and then he has to wait for the NRL to register him.. if they do... I think he would have to come back as a train & trial or similar in 2026.. but is he any good by that point?.. we might let him train and check him out, I cant imagine any other club giving him a shot... A lot would have to play out.. its hard to imagine giving up a Buchanan for example or a Williams or a Stanley-Traill etc etc from our Top 30 to fit him in... hopefully by that point there is very few wasted slots in our squad.