Promising Juniors Thread.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno has mentioned there are 2 young halves he has his eye on, 1 is going to be King-Togia, but the other is a mystery, Ward seems to be building, Glover has his moments but I doubt hes the one ear-marked.. tbh I dont know..

He could also be talking about Reed who trained with 1st grade over the off-season, but given hes played no Flegg.. hes a long long way off yet.
I'm sure you have your finger on the pulse more than me but I agree definitely Ward and LKT. The former takes the ball right to the line and takes support players with him. Like Moses does and Thurston used to do. Not sure what his kicking game, general organisational ability and defence is like but that can be taught.

LKT is like an upgraded Trent Barrett. Can bust the line with his running game like Barrett used to do but also has a lot of try assists Barrett didn't have.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
we can't stand still thinking that we don't need any other players because we have got this "talented crop" of SG Ball players..
I was thinking about this the other day.. as excited as I am about our Dragons and Steelers SG squads this year.. we are 5 years on from the 2019 Steelers SG premiership.. we should be swimming in star 1st graders.. yet.. that has certainly not been the case..

The well known members of the 2019 winning squad were:
Stewart, Sloan, Schoupp, Feagai(s), Amone, Sullivan, Muhleissen, Coric, Shereb, Herring

Now some of those went on to play some first grade.. none of them bar 'maybe' Sloan are looking like longterm first graders.. maybe we could have converted 1 or 2 more if our club was in better shape in terms of developing talent.. but it is a great example of how few make it through from U19 to the top grade, they cap out on skill or endurance, or their deficiencies wont fly against elite competition (this was stewarts downfall.. I was sure he'd be the one).

I am still hopeful about the 2024 Crews.. but this roster management (first grade and development) is a permanently moving malleable piece of absolute bl**dy artistry.... its why we are in the position we are in.. it was not maintained or prioritised over the last 5 years or so.

Eric

Staff
I'm sure you have your finger on the pulse more than me but I agree definitely Ward and LKT. The former takes the ball right to the line and takes support players with him. Like Moses does and Thurston used to do. Not sure what his kicking game, general organisational ability and defence is like but that can be taught.

LKT is like an upgraded Trent Barrett. Can bust the line with his running game like Barrett used to do but also has a lot of try assists Barrett didn't have.
In 3 years the team could look like this:
  1. Rumble
  2. Williams
  3. Suli
  4. Buchanan
  5. ?????? Finau maybe?
  6. LKT
  7. Ward
  8. LPT
  9. Hjaltason
  10. T. Couchman
  11. Helengahu
  12. Su'A (C)
  13. R. Couchman

14. Latu
  15. Coric (probably not but wouldn't write him off just yet)
  16. Egan
  17. Tsougranis
Probably need a utility on the bench. What an embarrassment of riches we have for young forwards! I rate Hutchinson and Stewart as well.

Eric

Staff
I was thinking about this the other day.. as excited as I am about our Dragons and Steelers SG squads this year.. we are 5 years on from the 2019 Steelers SG premiership.. we should be swimming in star 1st graders.. yet.. that has certainly not been the case..

The well known members of the 2019 winning squad were:
Stewart, Sloan, Schoupp, Feagai(s), Amone, Sullivan, Muhleissen, Coric, Shereb, Herring

Now some of those went on to play some first grade.. none of them bar 'maybe' Sloan are looking like longterm first graders.. maybe we could have converted 1 or 2 more if our club was in better shape in terms of developing talent.. but it is a great example of how few make it through from U19 to the top grade, they cap out on skill or endurance, or their deficiencies wont fly against elite competition (this was stewarts downfall.. I was sure he'd be the one).

I am still hopeful about the 2024 Crews.. but this roster management (first grade and development) is a permanently moving malleable piece of absolute bl**dy artistry.... its why we are in the position we are in.. it was not maintained or prioritised over the last 5 years or so.
What a tale of woe that turned out to be. Apart from Sloan but even he is nowhere near as good as people were talking about a few years ago. Coric might yet make it.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Top 50 schoolboy players ahead of the 2024 ASSRL Nationals​

No.18 Kade Reed​

• State: NSW CHS
  • Position: Halfback
  • Affiliation: Illawarra Sports High
  • School: Dragons
    After an NRL pre-season with the Dragons, Reed had a standout year with his Illawarra Steelers SG Ball team. He helped steer the team to week one of the finals before getting knocked out by the Knights.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

No.10 Jacob Halangahu​

• State: NSW CCC
  • Position: Lock/back-row
  • Affiliation: Dragons
  • School: Patrician Brothers BlacktownHalangahu was an Australian schoolboys representative last year and has been promoted into the Dragons’ extended NRL squad for the 2025 season. A powerful back rower who can wreak havoc.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg

Top 50 schoolboy players ahead of the 2024 ASSRL Nationals​

No.18 Kade Reed​

• State: NSW CHS
  • Position: Halfback
  • Affiliation: Illawarra Sports High
  • School: Dragons
    After an NRL pre-season with the Dragons, Reed had a standout year with his Illawarra Steelers SG Ball team. He helped steer the team to week one of the finals before getting knocked out by the Knights.
I mentioned this before, but as much as I want to rush him.. rly keen to see what a 1yr old version of Kade Reed produces next year.. his entire squad will be far more mature actually.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

No.10 Jacob Halangahu​

• State: NSW CCC
  • Position: Lock/back-row
  • Affiliation: Dragons
  • School: Patrician Brothers BlacktownHalangahu was an Australian schoolboys representative last year and has been promoted into the Dragons’ extended NRL squad for the 2025 season. A powerful back rower who can wreak havoc.
Should be at 2 or 3

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Should be at 2 or 3

He keeps winning awards in rep teams which is an excellent sign. Following his instagram account & you can see him train hard but also show a passion for the Red V. The snubbing from Panthers & acceptance by the Dragons has left an impression on him. He's got leadership potential.

I know a few people have mentioned Fifita but he doesn't have explosiveness/speed of Fifta. I'd liken his style more of an AFB or even Gallen who are all about leg drive & staying upright in the tackle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
maybe we could have converted 1 or 2 more if our club was in better shape in terms of developing talent.
Not heard of Schoop then or now. I think we may now hang onto Josh Coric, tho he may be of the extinction-facing Lawrie/J Turbo prop type and have a short career.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Next year I hope.
Doubt it with Luch and S'ua having the edges covered, tho unsure now about Luch as Flanagan seems to not rate him and prefers him off the woodwork. Cant get my head round why he keeps RFM on the edge and not in the middle, as odd as Griffin having the lumbering BMM there. You need agility as well as power on the edges.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o The point I was trying to illustrate is that virtually none of the 2019 side have kicked on (sloan a maybe), thats how the pyramid works.. the NRL is the most elite of the elite of the elite.... so if we get 2-3 of this 2024 SG squad into regular 1st grade... that would be a huge boon for us.. the rest of our short to medium term squad improvements will be coming from external.

o Aaron Schoupp btw has played 54 first grade games, thats more than the average nrl player plays.. so its far from a complete failure.. but he has never been able to hold a 1st grade position... despite opportunities @ the Dogs, GCoast and Manly.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Doubt it with Luch and S'ua having the edges covered, tho unsure now about Luch as Flanagan seems to not rate him and prefers him off the woodwork. Cant get my head round why he keeps RFM on the edge and not in the middle, as odd as Griffin having the lumbering BMM there. You need agility as well as power on the edges.
RFM has had a few good games. Last week he was very good. A few weeks ago as well. Can't remember the game but I remember he played well. Also in the first round against Gold Coast he surprised me.