Promising Juniors Thread.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
o The point I was trying to illustrate is that virtually none of the 2019 side have kicked on (sloan a maybe), thats how the pyramid works.. the NRL is the most elite of the elite of the elite.... so if we get 2-3 of this 2024 SG squad into regular 1st grade... that would be a huge boon for us.. the rest of our short to medium term squad improvements will be coming from external.

o Aaron Schoupp btw has played 54 first grade games, thats more than the average nrl player plays.. so its far from a complete failure.. but he has never been able to hold a 1st grade position... despite opportunities @ the Dogs, GCoast and Manly.
Amone still might come good. If he manages to stay out of jail.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Fair point. If we hold onto them I see Finau L, Loko Jr, Jake and Jesse as certs, with TPH, Afu, Te Moananui, Hutchinson good possibilities.
The winger, I think his name is Williams, might be the No.1 certainty. I guess there is but I haven't seen a weakness in his game.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm a Williams absolute fanboy, but a few games in flegg and he only seems to pop up for 1 or 2 moments a game currently.. id rly like to see him go looking for the ball.. supporting the forwards too... he should be a real standout at this level.

Again absolute no guarantee any of them kick on.. but id atleast like to see Williams get 12mths in NSW Cup at some stage soon, and see if he keeps growing.. raw speed & acceleration puts his potential so much higher than your average back... we need to give him every chance for success.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm a Williams absolute fanboy, but a few games in flegg and he only seems to pop up for 1 or 2 moments a game currently.. id rly like to see him go looking for the ball.. supporting the forwards too... he should be a real standout at this level.

Again absolute no guarantee any of them kick on.. but id atleast like to see Williams get 12mths in NSW Cup at some stage soon, and see if he keeps growing.. raw speed & acceleration puts his potential so much higher than your average back... we need to give him every chance for success.
I only saw him in SG Ball. In it, he had all the skills of a very serious winger. Give him a bit of time to adjust to the older age group.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I was thinking about this the other day.. as excited as I am about our Dragons and Steelers SG squads this year.. we are 5 years on from the 2019 Steelers SG premiership.. we should be swimming in star 1st graders.. yet.. that has certainly not been the case..

The well known members of the 2019 winning squad were:
Stewart, Sloan, Schoupp, Feagai(s), Amone, Sullivan, Muhleissen, Coric, Shereb, Herring

Now some of those went on to play some first grade.. none of them bar 'maybe' Sloan are looking like longterm first graders.. maybe we could have converted 1 or 2 more if our club was in better shape in terms of developing talent.. but it is a great example of how few make it through from U19 to the top grade, they cap out on skill or endurance, or their deficiencies wont fly against elite competition (this was stewarts downfall.. I was sure he'd be the one).

I am still hopeful about the 2024 Crews.. but this roster management (first grade and development) is a permanently moving malleable piece of absolute bl**dy artistry.... its why we are in the position we are in.. it was not maintained or prioritised over the last 5 years or so.
This was a good team not so much a team full of good players.
Covid amd miss management stuff them up.
If they were brought through together we could of had a better result.
Staying together Flegg 20-21 Cup 21-22 23 FG 23-24 would of seen a stronger unit.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
No bother putting this in the Kangaroo thread.
This has to be the most perfect first half of footy I have seen. Was by an Aussie Schoolboy side that toured the Old dart 5 years ago, unbeknown to me.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
the NRL is the most elite of the elite of the elite
Yes, a point emphasized by this Aussie Schoolboy side in the above vid. Other than Stephen Crichton, Dearden, Madden, Best, Pele and Nui, no idea whether the other 11 made NRL level.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Latu is my pick to make it first. He is making light work of Flegg.
Haven't seen last week's stats but week before was impressive.
156m in 40min
Hamish 164 in 70
Webster 116 in 47
Laughton 95 in 58
Hutchinson 21 in 15
Its a rly good call.. when a player can quickly come in and dominate a grade-up, its a bluddy good sign they can move up again quickly..

I keep thinking about Talagi (eels) and Tamale (saints), 19yr olds, Talagi deadset steps 1st graders at will.. Tamale @19 is easily big and strong enough to play first grade.. its more just he wasnt our priority.... so early.. most of our 19yr olds are just finding their way in Flegg or maybe barely coping in NSW Cup.. crazy how some kids seem to sail through.