Promising Juniors Thread.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
o Not sure how the year will play out, I think LKT is the 5/8 longterm, but I dont mind him filling that vacant fullback spot for a while.. its forcing him into the game, to start running, play both sides.. might help get him up to speed a lil faster.

o I always thought Amone might be a better centre than 5/8, I never felt like he had the skillset for the spine.. but they kept picking him.. but his defensive issues always made it hard to imagine him playing in any position.. big agile body yet always missing tackles. That said it looks like end of 2025 is the end of his sentence, and then he has to wait for the NRL to register him.. if they do... I think he would have to come back as a train & trial or similar in 2026.. but is he any good by that point?.. we might let him train and check him out, I cant imagine any other club giving him a shot... A lot would have to play out.. its hard to imagine giving up a Buchanan for example or a Williams or a Stanley-Traill etc etc from our Top 30 to fit him in... hopefully by that point there is very few wasted slots in our squad.
In my view there is no reason at all Amone should be a bad defender. Kyle Flanagan is limited due to his physique but still tackles better than Amone.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We snare Mason Phillips from the Grubs. Why FFS when we have a hooker as talented as Tyrus Salanoa. Watch him at #9 in this '23 Matts Cup match against the Rabbits. Carves em to pieces just after oranges. Finau Latu also has a blinder and has the passionate Bunnies TV comms gushing over his power.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
We snare Mason Phillips from the Grubs. Why FFS when we have a hooker as talented as Tyrus Salanoa. Watch him at #9 in this '23 Matts Cup match against the Rabbits. Carves em to pieces just after oranges. Finau Latu also has a blinder and has the passionate Bunnies TV comms gushing over his power.

He's not even at the Dragons, he didn't make the 2024 squad,. He ended up at Dogs and didn't play one game of SGB

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
AyiosYiorgos AyiosYiorgos is on another forum with me, he made an excellent spreadsheet (which I am copy/pasting below.. he also did this for HM/JF if interested)

What I believe is our approach is:
o Steelers: Stand on their own.. they have the big junior base.. and they fight it out internally.. the odd exception (such as LKT) perhaps personal reasons.
o Dragons: Smaller pool.. so the recruiters will cherry-pick and really try to super charge our talent pool as early as possible.. like most big clubs would do, and this is how we have guys like Tonga, Latu, Halangahu, TPH, Williams etc... there is the odd dragons kid like a Hammoud or Nick T, we do need to nurture them, but fast forward and this is a production line for us mashed into the big illawarra base.

Below is the junior club breakdown for this years SG Ball Squads (thankyou Ayios!):

DRAGONS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024Previous Club / CommentsPosition
Corey AckersDragons JNR +Arncliffe Scotts + Fairfield Patrician BrothersLock, Prop
David AfuPanthers 2021-23centre
Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Angus ClarkWagga Wagga, Riverina BullsHooker
Lyric Craft-Te MoananuiWest Tigers in 2021centre
Uchenna EgbuNewtown jnr?wing
Isaiah FagaliloBurleigh Bear QLDHooker
Ben GearyNewcastle + Nth Coast BulldogsWing
Jacob HalangahuPenrith2nd row
Shadi HammoudDragons JNRFive-Eighth
Hudson HarmerNth Coast BulldogsHooker
Viliami HikilaSharks +Endeavour Sports High & Westfield Sports HighPROP, 2nd ROW
Ryan HutchinsonKeebra Park High School QLDPROP
Lennox JensenNth Coast Bulldogs??
Mitchell LangleyDragons JNR + RenownLock
Finau LatuPenrith JNR + Patrician Brothers FairfieldLock
Campbell LyonsNarrandera + Illawarra Steelerscentre
Zac NacharDragons JNRWing/Fullback/6
Xavier NdairaDragons JNRHooker
Loko Pasifiki TongaBankstown Bulls + Ipswich High QLDProp
Tyler Peckham-HarrisIpswich High QLDFullback
Risiate SmytheDragons JNRProp
Cyrus Stanley-TraillBulldogs +Endeavour Sports High2nd row
Brandon TikanauTitans1/2back
Rydell TyrrellCentral Queensland CaprasProp
Jesse WilliamsCabramatta + Patrician Brothers FairfieldWing/Fullback
Harley YatesMinchinbury Jets1/2back
Coach: Willie Talau
STEELERS SG BALL CUP SQUAD 2024
Tyrone AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports High2nd Row /Prop
Viliami AmoneIllawarra JNR + Illawarra Sports HighPROP
Hudson BaileyIllawarra JNRLock
Clay BaldockIllawarra JNR1/2back / Five Eight
Bohden BarrettIllawarra JNRcentre
Lucas BorgIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Hayden BuchananIllawarra JNRcentre
Aaymon FitzgibbonIllawarra JNRFive-Eighth
Charlie HeidkeIllawarra JNRcentre
Eden HodgesIllawarra JNR1/2back
Lyhkan King-TogiaQLDFive-Eighth
Tom KirkIllawarra JNRFullback / Wing
Tom KnoxIllawarra JNR2nd row
Drew LangdonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Isaac LaughtonIllawarra JNR2nd row
Bailey MarksIllawarra JNRProp / Lock
Daniel MeafouIllawarra JNRLock
Lincoln MinersIllawarra JNRHooker
Ramses MunroIllawarra JNRPROP
Seth PearmanIllawarra JNRHooker
Braith PlecasIllawarra JNRLock
Kade ReedIllawarra JNR1/2back
Jackson RieckIllawarra JNRFullback
Toby RumbleIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Jackson SmithIllawarra JNR2nd row
Jarrah TreweekIllawarra JNR2nd row
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP
Harry WililoIllawarra JNRWing / Centre
Coach: Shaun Timmins

Note: I cant speak to Phillips vs Salanoa, but I think Kyle Stanley and the junior retention has been bluddy excellent with the talent they are bringing in... that SG title was the most excited ive been as a Dragons fan since JD won the Reserve Grade title!

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
AyiosYiorgos AyiosYiorgos is on another forum with me, he made an excellent post (which I am copy/pasting below.. he also did this for HM/JF if interested)

o Steelers - Stand on their own juniors.. they have the jr base.. and they fight it out internally.. the odd exception (such as LKT) for whatever reason.
o Dragons - Dont have enough local talent so the recruiters will cherry-pick and really try to get the best talent in early.. like most big clubs would do.

Corey AckersDragons JNR +Arncliffe Scotts + Fairfield Patrician BrothersLock, Prop
Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Viliami HikilaSharks +Endeavour Sports High & Westfield Sports HighPROP, 2nd ROW
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP
Exactly
The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
AyiosYiorgos AyiosYiorgos is on another forum with me, he made an excellent spreadsheet (which I am copy/pasting below.. he also did this for HM/JF if interested)

o Steelers: Stand on their own.. they have the big junior base.. and they fight it out internally.. the odd exception (such as LKT) perhaps personal reasons.
o Dragons: Smaller pool.. so the recruiters will cherry-pick and really try to super charge our talent pool as early as possible.. like most big clubs would do, and this is how we have guys like Tonga, Latu, Halangahu, TPH, Williams etc... there is the odd dragons kid like a Hammoud or Nick T, we do need to nurture them, but fast forward and this is a production line for us mashed into the big illawarra base.

Below is the junior club breakdown for this years SG Ball Squads (thankyou Ayios!):

Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP

Note: I cant speak to Phillips vs Salanoa, but I think Kyle Stanley and the junior retention has been bluddy excellent with the talent they are bringing in... that SG title was the most excited ive been as a Dragons fan since JD won the Reserve Grade title!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Peter AssafBulldogsWing
Ratu CayuqueoParramatta
Lachlan WeirQLDPROP

Are the Amone's any relation of Junior Amone? Or maybe, what relation are they?

Eric

Staff
We should be a powerhouse team if we can get development & retention right.
Anthony Griffin used to talk about, "building the team from the ground up". Meaning from juniors to NRL. I hope he was doing that. He did that at Penrith and Broncos. It was Cleary, Yeo, Martin, Crighton developed under his watch. Most of the Broncos players who lost the GF to the Cowboys.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont know the exact relationship with the Amones, but I believe they are all a part of the same family group.. I think Talatau was just 1 part of the puzzle.

Hopefully a bunch of these guys are still SG eligible next year, would like to see them go around again with Meafou and Kade Reed and see how they look as prospects.. right now were a bit overwhelmed for forward prospects jamming into JFlegg. Stanley-Traill is another who would do SG next year for the Dragons..

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

I don't get why you are complaining that we are signing players, if the club has identified that Phillips will be better than what we have, then what's the issue, in a year or two we may grab another hooker who is better, we should be constantly looking to better the whole club, year on year, that's the recruitment guys job, they're working 3-6 years in advance, majority of the SG Ball guys that are coming through are all external juniors grabbed from Penrith, Parra etc, before them Shereb and Coric where the guns but if we decided not to grab any other players from the other clubs we would be stuck with those 2 who at this stage don't look like progressing and in a year or two Latu, Tonga etc may be in the same boat, we can't stand still thinking that we don't need any other players because we have got this "talented crop" of SG Ball players..

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Are the Amone's any relation of Junior Amone? Or maybe, what relation are they?
Vili brother Tyrone cousin
I dont know the exact relationship with the Amones, but I believe they are all a part of the same family group.. I think Talatau was just 1 part of the puzzle.

Hopefully a bunch of these guys are still SG eligible next year, would like to see them go around again with Meafou and Kade Reed and see how they look as prospects.. right now were a bit overwhelmed for forward prospects jamming into JFlegg. Stanley-Traill is another who would do SG next year for the Dragons..
Kirk, Buchanan, Borg, Fitzgibbon, Clarke, Langdon, are some that I know of off hand.
Plus Jack Talbott, Zane Timmins, Leeroy Weatherall, Hayden Whatman from HMC should make a very competitive team.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
At this stage is Ashton Ward going to be let go, signed on a train and trial deal, signed on a development contract or let go? I was impressed by his game in a losing team last weekend.

5/8 was good as well but would have to put on 20kg and grow 10cm to be ready for NRL.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
At this stage is Ashton Ward going to be let go, signed on a train and trial deal, signed on a development contract or let go? I was impressed by his game in a losing team last weekend.

5/8 was good as well but would have to put on 20kg and grow 10cm to be ready for NRL.
Ash will be under contract next year.
He has already run in a few opposed sessions with FG.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Vili brother Tyrone cousin

Kirk, Buchanan, Borg, Fitzgibbon, Clarke, Langdon, are some that I know of off hand.
Plus Jack Talbott, Zane Timmins, Leeroy Weatherall, Hayden Whatman from HMC should make a very competitive team.
Leeroy Weatherall keen to see how he goes next year, liked Kirk from a year or so ago while he was playing fullback but looks like Borg has now overtaken him for that role he had a good season.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno has mentioned there are 2 young halves he has his eye on, 1 is going to be King-Togia, but the other is a mystery, Ward seems to be building, Glover has his moments but I doubt hes the one ear-marked.. tbh I dont know..

He could also be talking about Reed who trained with 1st grade over the off-season, but given hes played no Flegg.. hes a long long way off yet.