Promising Juniors Thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Like to see both Loko Jr and Finau Latu make the step up next season. Both off the bench to start with. Firstly we need to extend them if we haven't already.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not sure what his kicking game, general organisational ability and defence is like but that can be taught.
Didnt you see the recent Flegg game when he showed those attributes to their fullest extent. Booted a 40/20, organized four tries while his defense was sound. Likes wrapping himself round big blokes legs. Another 5+ kg of muscle and 12 months and he will be a weapon for us. He looks everything Hunt aint.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
majority of the SG Ball guys that are coming through are all external juniors grabbed from Penrith, Parra etc,
...and Loko Jr and TPH from Qld. Was aware of that. We did well from the last Schoolboy Champs, hope we do likewise this time. I guess we lack a good development base despite having the Academy, if we have to scout the country shopping for players.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
...and Loko Jr and TPH from Qld. Was aware of that. We did well from the last Schoolboy Champs, hope we do likewise this time. I guess we lack a good development base despite having the Academy, if we have to scout the country shopping for players.
Almost all the young players, except Luch and Robinson, went elsewhere and didn't make waves there either. Not for the right reason anyway. The best schoolboys very often don't become good first graders.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Didnt you see the recent Flegg game when he showed those attributes to their fullest extent. Booted a 40/20, organized four tries while his defense was sound. Likes wrapping himself round big blokes legs. Another 5+ kg of muscle and 12 months and he will be a weapon for us. He looks everything Hunt aint.
I saw half the game against Souths. Didn't notice those things. Just noticed his running and passing. If that's what he does, well we have our halfback. That's all I can say. But why in that case is Flanno working to extend Hunt for another year and recruited Cook? Strange.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Even if Ward was the anointed one, hes many years away from being a starting 1st grade halfback.. he still has to show it at Cup level also.. but for right now Id just be happy to see this Flegg side winning, I dont understand how that pack + this halfback + rumble, williams etc.. how are they not going better..

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Even if Ward was the anointed one, hes many years away from being a starting 1st grade halfback.. he still has to show it at Cup level also.. but for right now Id just be happy to see this Flegg side winning, I dont understand how that pack + this halfback + rumble, williams etc.. how are they not going better..
Why do you think he is so far off? Tigers 5/8 is doing well and he's 18. Raiders 19 year-old 5/8 as well. He could prove himself in NSW Cup at the back end of this season and early on next season and then be ready to go around Origin period next year.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Why do you think he is so far off? Tigers 5/8 is doing well and he's 18. Raiders 19 year-old 5/8 as well. He could prove himself in NSW Cup at the back end of this season and early on next season and then be ready to go around Origin period next year.
I respect everyones opinions on Ward re: hes doing the right things (and rly hope ur right), but he doesnt wow me when I see him... as if 'sheez hes clearly too good for Flegg', and its his 2nd year now too... imo he's going to need atleast 2025 in NSW Cup and do well to be considered for injury cover in first grade in late 2025 and 2026.. that said.. are we buying halves cover yet? Whos there of Hunt or Kyle get injured? We must be... but id say Ward would be behind that person if indeed he is our cup 7 next year and playing well.

I dont think Flanno will be putting any 18-21yr old thru unless they are blowing the barn door down.. even then.. the Couchmans are one of the few exceptions, still only 20.5..... Tamale also who went up to nsw cup early and handled it well.. big body.. Talagi if we got him.. looks too good for 1st grade on his feet.. I can only imagine how he must have looked in lower grades? But I dont see any young backs in our system that could leapfrog grades, I thought Williams might be an exception.. wing is relatively straight-forward.. rly hope he will.. but still not 100% confident.

Stewart, Egan, Tonga, Latu, Buchanan, LKT would be in the next possibilities.. but there is a lot to play out yet before we know if they could play first grade even for injury cover.. let alone to the point where the coach can be confident to not recruit anyone else and have these kids in his first choice Top17.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I respect everyones opinions on Ward re: hes doing the right things (and rly hope ur right), but he doesnt wow me when I see him... as if 'sheez hes clearly too good for Flegg', and its his 2nd year now too... imo he's going to need atleast 2025 in NSW Cup and do well to be considered for injury cover in first grade in late 2025 and 2026.. that said.. are we buying halves cover yet? Whos there of Hunt or Kyle get injured? We must be... but id say Ward would be behind that person if indeed he is our cup 7 next year and playing well.

I dont think Flanno will be putting any 18-21yr old thru unless they are blowing the barn door down.. even then.. the Couchmans are one of the few exceptions, still only 20.5..... Tamale also who went up to nsw cup early and handled it well.. big body.. Talagi if we got him.. looks too good for 1st grade on his feet.. I can only imagine how he must have looked in lower grades? But I dont see any young backs in our system that could leapfrog grades, I thought Williams might be an exception.. wing is relatively straight-forward.. rly hope he will.. but still not 100% confident.

Stewart, Egan, Tonga, Latu, Buchanan, LKT would be in the next possibilities.. but there is a lot to play out yet before we know if they could play first grade even for injury cover.. let alone to the point where the coach can be confident to not recruit anyone else and have these kids in his first choice Top17.
Hmmm fair enough. I've only seen him a few times. Mostly basing my opinion on one game which the team lost. I was just impressed by the way he ran the ball to the line, ball in both hands, taking players with him and passing very late. That's what Thurston used to do. Mitchell Moses does it too though obviously not as well as Thurston did. Keiran Foran does it too.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Some 18 or 19yo are just better equipped to handle first grade then others or through necessity are thrust early, not every 18-19yo is ready and Ward isn't ready agree with the TheRev TheRev

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hmmm fair enough. I've only seen him a few times. Mostly basing my opinion on one game which the team lost. I was just impressed by the way he ran the ball to the line, ball in both hands, taking players with him and passing very late. That's what Thurston used to do. Mitchell Moses does it too though obviously not as well as Thurston did. Keiran Foran does it too.
Yaa just my 2c though, rly hope your take is spot on.... I figure the coaching staff are the only ones who see enough of them to make the calls..

Just on Mitchell Moses, I see a lot of his game in Kade Reed, fast.. footwork, big boot.. but i think Kade was only 17 or 18yrs old.. they must be biding their time with him in a junior league somewhere.. ready to do SG again next year then maybe promote from there.. at first I was frustrated but maybe its not the worst idea.. once he gets in the public eye.. could be a bit of a whirlwind?

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I bet Ricky Stuart and Benji Marshall wish they didn't have to play those 5/8s in first grade for another year or two.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
He was steady in this game, just did his job. Am talking about a few weeks ago when he dominated the match for us. You can catch the h/ls on our site I'd imagine.
That's my opinion as well. He didn't have a blinder. I just thought I saw a lot of potential.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but he doesnt wow me when I see him
I'd have agreed with you on Ward that he was simply doing his job, until watching him dominate in Round 16. Tore apart the Warriors on their home patch. In 6/7 years of watching Hunt, have not seen him dominate a match as Ward did that day. The little dynamo even kicked a 40/20.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Corey Ackers SL- '25
Finau Latu Top 30- '25
Loko Tonga Top 30- '25

Very pleased to see this trio arrive at this stage so young. Looks like the coaching staff see them as the future and the nucleus of our engine room in '27/'28. Adding the Couchmans of course and Jake. Also like the look of Jett Liu, Daniel Meafou, Ryan Hutchinson.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Corey Ackers SL- '25
Finau Latu Top 30- '25
Loko Tonga Top 30- '25

Very pleased to see this trio arrive at this stage so young. Looks like the coaching staff see them as the future and the nucleus of our engine room in '27/'28. Adding the Couchmans of course and Jake. Also like the look of Jett Liu, Daniel Meafou, Ryan Hutchinson.
What is "SL"?